collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Training/Field Collar Recommendations  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
Re: Training/Field Collar Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 06:20:37 PM »
I am Dogtra Edge RT all the way.  Was tritronics for over 20 years would never go back.
TJH  you must have got a freak one which can happen with any brand I suppose.  I have sold over 20 Edges.RT in the past two years without any issues. My personal one is over 4 years old with no issues.  And I would bet mine is used more then 20 other people on this site combined.
Ryan shop around if you do decide to go.with the.dogtra call me last I will give you a deal that.can't.be beat.
On a side note I have about 7 tritronics collars I will be selling that I will never use again.  I'll get pictures tomorrow and post on hunt wa first give me a day or two.

Offline ryan2202

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Owner / Operator Pine & Tines LLC
    • Pine & Tines - used firearms.  Rifles, Shotguns, Blackpowder
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
Kennel training has gone well so far, sit is sticking, stay is a struggle, and potty training is slow but progressing.  I was thinking a collar would work to progress the training and rewarding/praise even more.

Stay away from Sport Dog. I'd lean towards Dogtra or Garmin.

Really?  We've had no problems with our Sportdog ST120.

Looking for recommendations on training/Field collars.  Recently got a golden retriever puppy, and it's super early in his training.  So far, "sit" as stuck!  Potty training in a headache...but progressing.  Any recommendations on training & field collars would be helpful as I'm researching.

Thanks!

Are you crate training for housebreaking?  It is by far the easiest thing we have done.  Fortunately, all of the puppies from our litter were pretty much housebroken due to the amount of time I spent with them in the last three weeks.

Offline ryan2202

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
  • Owner / Operator Pine & Tines LLC
    • Pine & Tines - used firearms.  Rifles, Shotguns, Blackpowder
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 06:24:59 PM »
Thanks!  All these posts sure have helped narrow down brands to research.  I'll keep my eyes out for your posts.

I am Dogtra Edge RT all the way.  Was tritronics for over 20 years would never go back.
TJH  you must have got a freak one which can happen with any brand I suppose.  I have sold over 20 Edges.RT in the past two years without any issues. My personal one is over 4 years old with no issues.  And I would bet mine is used more then 20 other people on this site combined.
Ryan shop around if you do decide to go.with the.dogtra call me last I will give you a deal that.can't.be beat.
On a side note I have about 7 tritronics collars I will be selling that I will never use again.  I'll get pictures tomorrow and post on hunt wa first give me a day or two.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
I've been running a Garmin pro 550 without any issues or complaints but my collar gets less use than a guy running 2 or 3 or more dogs a session as I only have the one. Have heard good things about dogtra customer service and I think they are down in nor Cal. Was hesitant to go with Garmin but it's played well so far for me (2.5 years).

I run dogtra electronics on my wingers and have decent results. Once in a while I get one that misbehaves.

I do really like the wide collar on the dogtra.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 08:01:22 PM »
Just purchased the Dogtra Edge a week ago will be returning it tomorrow, Stimulation levels fluctuate up and down never consistent, Called the dealer talked to them regarding the issue they said the problem has occurred with many of them 
Looking at the Garmin/Tritronics 500 anyone have experience with them Good bad ??
I run a Pro 550 with a Astro 320 on 2 dogs and it would be tough to get me to change.

Offline Kenaiwild

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 08:27:12 PM »
Been using tritronics for about 15 years and dogtra ra for about 2.  Have had no issues with either of them. 

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »
Bill
Tri Tronic pissed me off that why I changed.. I had been part of their Influential Club since the beginning.  When they were going through their change over to Garmin. I called them to order a new collar and was told they were revamping the program and that if I wanted to buy a collar that I should just go to Cabelas and buy it...That was the wrong thing to say to me.  So I started looking at other Manufacturers I was already using the Dogtra bird releases (9 of them).  So when I gave Dogtra my credentials 5 National Champions 15 Field Champions and 76 Master Hunters they made me a distributor in 5 minutes.  I must confess however I still run the Astro 320 on my dogs when I am in the Big country.  Garmin does make the best GPS systems. IMO..

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 10:11:57 PM »
My sentiments and the trainer I'm with reflect Richard's comments. However, we have used Dogtra because of tri tronics/Garmin floundering. Too many problems with Dogtra. Back to Garmin because reliability is still better. I 've switched around. Back to Garmin even though I hated the company switch
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 07:50:37 AM »
Bill
Tri Tronic pissed me off that why I changed.. I had been part of their Influential Club since the beginning.  When they were going through their change over to Garmin. I called them to order a new collar and was told they were revamping the program and that if I wanted to buy a collar that I should just go to Cabelas and buy it...That was the wrong thing to say to me.  So I started looking at other Manufacturers I was already using the Dogtra bird releases (9 of them).  So when I gave Dogtra my credentials 5 National Champions 15 Field Champions and 76 Master Hunters they made me a distributor in 5 minutes.  I must confess however I still run the Astro 320 on my dogs when I am in the Big country.  Garmin does make the best GPS systems. IMO..
I'd be pissed with the Cabela's comment also! That's one of the BIG downfalls of little fish being swallowed up by big fish.

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
I'm partial to Garmin.  I used a Garmin Delta for initial introduction and training and then switched to an Alpha 100.

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:13 PM »
I don't know how old this pup is but if your thinking a collar will help with the early on puppy training it wont. It will destroy your swamp collie to pet only status. Goldens train pretty easily as they really like to please.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]