collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: $200 per day for turkey hunt?  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Turkeyman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: $200 per day for turkey hunt?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »
150 to 200 is the going price for guided turkey hunt. There are allot of so called guides out there trying to make a buck. If i where you do your home work and ask for references and talk to people that have been out with the guide.

I guided for a outfitter in the blues and worked my butt of teaching and trying to get my clients birds. The outfitter promised the world to my clients, like all our hunts are on private ground which i found out was not true. It was all about getting the clients a bird with the outfitter which is OK but he promised that all hunts would be on private ground and he over booked people. I ended up taking people out on public ground hunting and scouting i taught my clients allot about turkey hunting, calling, scouting, set ups etc. Be carefull and ask questions.

Does this guide live on the klick.river? I think i know who he is did you say his name is Tracy?
If it flies it dies.

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »
sent pm to you

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 01:25:41 PM »
If your a first time turkey hunter I'd be more then happy to take you out a couple of times.  I have turkey hunted for the past 31 years.  It will be on public land and I will not garantee you a thing other then you will learn a bunch.  I try to take one or two new guys every year.  Of course you'll have to agree to being blindfolded on the trip into a couple of my spots,  :chuckle:  just kidding.  I don't have any problems hiring a guide for a time or two, but like everything that was said above check them references and talk with the outfitter and ask him if his guide would be willing to not only try and call a bird into range, but if he will instruct you as you go.  Good luck whatever route you take.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline dirty.dan4

• Scout
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 01:30:05 PM »
I will throwdown on fuel and food Machias.  I have never been and would love to learn

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »
Nope no fuel or food needed...other then your own stuff.  I'd be more then happy to take you out, just send me a PM.  Only thing you can be sure of is having fun!! 
Fred Moyer

Offline Moose Eyes

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »
Very cool. :tup:
NRA
NAHC
Washington for Wildlife

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 08:20:20 PM »
If your a first time turkey hunter I'd be more then happy to take you out a couple of times.  I have turkey hunted for the past 31 years.  It will be on public land and I will not garantee you a thing other then you will learn a bunch.  I try to take one or two new guys every year. 

That right there is one of the most intriguing things about turkey hunting, I think  turkey hunter sare more willing than most other sportsmen at giving newbies a chance. I could be wrong but when it comes to fishing and big game hunting those the " Know" seem like they clam up but not turkey hunters and that is what the sport is all about. I've even witnessed a guy once that just moved to this State and was excited about Salmon fishing and so he went down to a sporting goods store "to remain nameless" In Fife. and tried to ask how, what, where and was bluntly told, hooks, water and that was it :bash: how rude! and especially when you're trying to sell a product and basically told a potential customer to " Pound sand" Kudos to thos Hunter and fishers that care more about the sport than the catch :twocents: Didn't mean to jack the threadwith this rant.
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

Offline brewzer13

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 09:31:03 PM »
 I dont think that I would pay for a turkey hunt, to a guide, unless it was guaranteed success and you could take 2 birds. I would rather take something to a landowner in exchange for the priveldge to hunt on their land (some Salmon, deer, elk or moose meet, bottle of booze, or a gift card to a local business). This along with getting in touch with a local chapter of the NWTF to learn the Do's and Dont's, and maybe and invite to go along with an experienced hunter, would be a far greater experience for your time and effort.    :twocents:

Offline NWTFhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 09:44:38 PM »
Brewzer well said, BUT there is no gaurantee in taking game weather you do it solo or with a guide.
I have gone solo and struck out many times, have taken guys or buddy's out and slammed it and also struck out.
Its all part of learning the Do's and Donts, and putting those into the next hunt.

Offline Moose Eyes

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 09:47:48 PM »
And with turkeys what worked like a charm yesterday will be the worst move you can make tomorrow.  You just never can tell how those buggers will respond!
NRA
NAHC
Washington for Wildlife

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 09:54:02 PM »

Machais I sent you a PM. Very nice offer. I have to say there are some pretty cool guys on hear and have offered some good advice and help. Appreciate it!

Offline brewzer13

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 09:56:25 PM »
Totally agree with both of you on that, a learning experience each and every time you go out. We have had the same luck as you NWTFHunter, with hit or miss, but no matter what, we always have a great time being in the woods.

Offline NWTFhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 10:15:51 PM »
Absolutely !!  They will test your nerves on a daily basis !!!!

The very first time I went turkey hunting, I was taken under the wing of a skilled turkey hunter and the night before the opener we put them to bed. Feeling like the morning was going to be one of the best days....HAAAHAA.

We snuck into our spot where they had flown down the morning before and those birds didnt want anything to do with that spot come daylight.  We were quiet, and didnt make any calls prior to fly down. But they didnt want to be there. 
So, we tried another spot.  Nope they didnt want to come in at all.  We tried everything we could think of and nothing was working that morning.
And this was on private land with no pressure at all.
I have hunted them there over the years and they will change their patterns daily for no reason at all.

So if your new to it, your in for some education and mind boggeling tactics.

Oh but there is that guy who has never done it before, calls like crap, doesnt know the first thing about it and Slams his bird right out of the gate  :bash:

Offline Turkeyman

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 10:19:43 PM »
NW Bowhunter you will learn more about the sport of turkey hunting with a guy like Machais than the guide you where talking about. :twocents: Machais you are a true sportman passing on the tradition of turkey hunting that's what this great sport is all about. Its not about killing a bird its about learning this great sport, spending time with family and Friends and passing on the tradition. Good luck with your hunt you will learn more in one day than just going out and killing a bird on private ground.
If it flies it dies.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 10:44:12 PM »
That is one of the things I am really starting to enjoy about WA turkey hunting, the birds are finally getting smarter.  I would rather go out and do battle with an old longbeard and not harvest him and come back and throw something different at him.  Just when you think you have a bird figured out they make you look like you never hunted birds before.  Tatics!! Gobblers, if they could smell you'd never kill one.  IMO.  :)

My most memborable turkey hunt was in the Ozarks of Missouri back in the mid 80s.  I roosted a bird the night before, slipped in before daylight and he was starting early, probably gobbled 60 times before I ever gave him a yelp.  Gave him a soft tree yelp and he cut me off and triple gobbled,  I slapped my hat on my leg several times and boom gobble gobble.  Then he flew down, soiunded like he was going away from me, but I knew from past experience of busting toms that sounded like they were going away when in fact they were coming right in, I sat stone still.  I gave him some yelps and bam pretty much non-stop gobbling as he headed in.  I had a decoy out, I was sitting at the end of a long ridge, and he was gobbling all the way in.  Just about the time I figured he was going to pop out, it got quiet.  Oh so quiet, just me and my beating heart.  I was leaned up against a huge oak, probably 4 feet wide.  I started wondering, do I call, did he see something, should I go after him, what to do, what to do!!  About 10 minutes into this quiet, I see this huge black blob materialize out of the corner of my left eye. He starts spitting and drumming from about 3 or 4 feet away.  He'd dropped off over the side of the ridge and circled around me and come in from behind me.  I was an absolute statue.  He takes a step and then I feel this beady little eye bore a hole in the side of my head.  I can seen the huge black blob is getting smaller as his feather start to come out of his strut.  Busted, I think for a second he paused and laced up his sneakers, he spun and took off running for the drop off of the ridge.  I swung up and around a little sapling and rolled him end over end about 5 feet from going over the edge.  23# pound eastern, What a hunt!!!!!
Fred Moyer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]