collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opinions on buying new muzzleloader  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Buck86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • No
  • Groups: NRA
Opinions on buying new muzzleloader
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »
I am looking at possibly buying a new muzz this year.  I currently have a knight bighorn and do like it a lot.  I am wondering if the knight disc, or ultra light are really worth the extra money?  If so why are they worth it?  Also with the disc or ultra light, can you just change the breach plug to shoot 209 primers, or percussion caps?  I have also read about people having issues with the disc not firing, and were told to take about a 1/2 turn out on the breach plug to make sure it fires??  I am not sure if that issue has been resolved on those models or not?  Thanks for any input. 
Buck

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
Re: Opinions on buying new muzzleloader
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »
I am looking at possibly buying a new muzz this year.  I currently have a knight bighorn and do like it a lot.  I am wondering if the knight disc, or ultra light are really worth the extra money?  If so why are they worth it?

If so why... that is difficult since you have a Bighorn which us basically a DISC without a bolt... Can not say there is a big boost in accuracy or even the loads or bullets you can shoot.  The differences may mostly come down to the fact the bolt has some real advantages when it comes to weather and possibly even a bit cleaner in the breech area.  Another thought I have is that the bolts are a bit more safe than the Bighorn in the explosion/rupture of the cap.  Most all of that action is contained inside the bolt housing - no real flying pieces coming out of the breech in a 180* direction.

Follow this link - these are really good prices on a DISC

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles.html?shopbybrand_model=28

Also with the disc or ultra light, can you just change the breach plug to shoot 209 primers, or percussion caps?

Both the DISC and the Ulite can shoot all three ignition systems as can the Bighorn.  The thing is both the DISC and ULite some key advantages.  They can be made weather proof fairly easy since the breech is not wide open to the elements.  Only a small portion is open enough to meet the required laws in all three PacNorWest States.  With the DISC and the Ulite you can shoot the clean NFPJ plug (bare 209 primers)

I have also read about people having issues with the disc not firing, and were told to take about a 1/2 turn out on the breach plug to make sure it fires??  I am not sure if that issue has been resolved on those models or not?  Thanks for any input. 
Buck

That issue has been solved and it is a very easy fix.  Remember Knight has lifetime warranty so if it didn't would they would fix it. Basically swith out breech plugs.

I hope this helps a little bit ask me more about it is you have additional questions

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:49:39 PM »
Thank You for the info Sabotloader.  I have been doing research on the disc, I already know how the bighorn performs.  With that research I just wasn't sure if I bought lets say the disc with the western ignition system if I would have to buy a complete new bolt and breech plug to have the ability to use 209 primers?  It appears from your post I just need to buy a different breach plug for the 209 primers?  Currently in WA we can only use percussion caps or musket caps.  And the one reason I am only looking at another knight is you can use percussion caps.  I am not a fan of musket caps. 

And I was a little concerned about the disc not firing when needed?  I actually ran into a hunter after I got my bull this year that had multiple misfires at a bull using a brand new disc?? It did appear that he didn't have the secondary safety screw turned all the way back, r it got bumped while he was going through the brush or something?  I am looking to pick up wither another bighorn or possibly the disc as either my primary muzz, or for a back up. 

Thanks Buck

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
Thank You for the info Sabotloader.  I have been doing research on the disc, I already know how the bighorn performs.  With that research I just wasn't sure if I bought lets say the disc with the western ignition system if I would have to buy a complete new bolt and breech plug to have the ability to use 209 primers?  It appears from your post I just need to buy a different breach plug for the 209 primers?

If you purchase a Western Knight - you will have to purchase a new bolt housing and breech plug.  But... if you purchase a Knight with a NFPJ bolt and plug then you will not have to purchase a new bolt for Western only the Breech Plug.  Really what you want is a Colorado legal Knight.

Currently in WA we can only use percussion caps or musket caps.  And the one reason I am only looking at another knight is you can use percussion caps.  I am not a fan of musket caps.

I HATE musket caps! #11 caps work for better for me in all aspects - I should say a #11 Mag cap or a RWS Dynamit Nobel1075+ cap which is by far the hottest #11 cap.  WAIT - you can use the #11 percussion caps in a Bighorn also...

This is a MK 85 little brother of the Bighorn with a #11 set up in it...

And I was a little concerned about the disc not firing when needed?

That still could happen when you first purchase a new DISC - it is rare but it could but is an extremely easy fix...  And it will not take you long to know...

I actually ran into a hunter after I got my bull this year that had multiple misfires at a bull using a brand new disc?? It did appear that he didn't have the secondary safety screw turned all the way back, r it got bumped while he was going through the brush or something?  I am looking to pick up wither another bighorn or possibly the disc as either my primary muzz, or for a back up.

Thanks Buck

I would highly encourage you to get a DISC versus another Bighorn and if you can swing it the ULite is the Cadillac of the Knight line.  It really is as good as advertised...

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »
I would just keep the Bighorn and I'm a TC shooter  :tup:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Phishead

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 09:43:23 PM »
Did you also look at the Mountaineer? Why not go there? I’m also looking at a new muzzleloader upgrade from the Bighorn. Nothing wrong with it, just itching for something different.

Offline bod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 06:02:27 PM »
What about CVA mid range like the Optima for a first timer they seem simplistic for maintenance how are they for accuracy

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:43:01 PM »
I personally can't justify the difference in price for what I see in the higher end knights?  That is just me.  I actually really like the CVA Accura, or Optima.  The thing I don't like is the fact that if you don't use 209 primers then you are stuck using musket caps.  I like that knight still allows the option for #11 percussion caps which I feel are way better than musket caps.  And I believe I have seen Sabbotloader make that reference also.  I really don't know if I will buy another (new) muzzleloader but if I do I am leaning hard toward the knight Disc.  And I like the idea of getting whatever is needed to not have to use the plastic jacket for 209 primers if I chose to use those.

Good Luck  Buck
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:40:04 AM by Buck86 »

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
I personally can justify the difference in price for what I see in the higher end knights?  That is just me.  I actually really like the CVA Accura, or Optima.  The thing I don't like is the fact that if you don't use 209 primers then you are stuck using musket caps.  I like that knight still allows the option for #11 percussion caps which I feel are way better than musket caps.  And I believe I have seen Sabbotloader make that reference also.  I really don't know if I will buy another (new) muzzleloader but if I do I am leaning hard toward the knight Disc.  And I like the idea of getting whatever is needed to not have to use the plastic jacket for 209 primers if I chose to use those.

Good Luck  Buck

Buck, if you were to go the way of the DISC - I would encourage you to go to the NFPJ 'Bare Primer' option versus the FPJ 'red plastic jacket'. With the NFPJ you can actually get a complete seal and make the breech area perfectly clean. Because of the different lengths of primers on the marker - it may not come that way from Knight but it is an easy fix.

This my Western DISC - using #11 mag cap.  The only reason I would switch it to 209's would be to keep the breech clean or to shoot BH-209 powder.

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »
Sabotloader-- I am guessing if I do buy a new Disc and go with the bare primer option.  I would need to buy a new bolt assembly and breech plug? If that is the case is the better option to buy the western disc and upgrade, or buy the 209 option (not sure if I have seen the bare primer option) listed say at MUZZ.com?  I may be mistaken?  And then buy the western kit?  Also why doesn't Knight offer the Thumbhole stock in Black??

Thanks Buck

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 07:55:19 AM »
Sabotloader-- I am guessing if I do buy a new Disc and go with the bare primer option.  I would need to buy a new bolt assembly and breech plug?

I would suggest that you go with what was once called the Colorado version of the rifle.  That is a rifle with iron sights and 209 Ignition. From there you can specify NFPJ ignition (Bare Primer).  That option is not showing up on any of the sites right now as Knight is out of Bare Primer Breech Plugs for the DISC.  The order for plugs has been submitted so they should show up late spring.

If that is the case is the better option to buy the western disc and upgrade, or buy the 209 option (not sure if I have seen the bare primer option) listed say at MUZZ.com?  I may be mistaken?  And then buy the western kit?  Also why doesn't Knight offer the Thumbhole stock in Black??

Thanks Buck

The bare primer is not listed any place right now for the DISC (anyway the places I normally look at - including Knight). Right now www.muzzle-loaders.com really has the most competitive prices with Sortsman's right behind them.

Black Thumbholes - well I will be darned I have never noticed that they were not offering black stocks any longer....

Here is my thought... at the present time and before the new 2018 stock arrives you will probably get the best pricing... just guessing...  If you were to purchase a current DISC with FPJ (red Plastic jacket) ignition you can easily convert that back to #11 IF the States says NO to 209...

The catch is and this important.... you need to contact this guy "Buddy Truckley" and see if he has any conversion kits left from Lehigh.  I think he was charging about $30 for on.  The kit includes a primer adapter and a breech plug - you will still have to prucase a vent line for the plug from Lehigh.

Lehigh Bare Primer Conversion

ginatruckley@ymail.com

Buddy Truckley

This is a picture of a FPJ bolt converted to a Bare Primer bolt with Breech plug...

Hope this all makes sense...

Check your PM's

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal