collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Neah Bay Rock fish newbie  (Read 8648 times)

Offline BIGMIKE

• Hunter that likes to fish
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Neah Bay Rock fish newbie
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »
Hello, the fishing bug bit me this weekend along with my two boys. So we were watching a lot of videos on youtube saturday evening. My kids wanted to try Neah Bay rockfish this spring break if the fishery is open. I have over 2 months to prepare. We have an old classic 17ft Boston Whaler Montauk with 70HP, im getting the 8hp johnson for a kicker mounted next week. Just want the trip to be safe and fun. Is our boat enough for this fishery? What pole reel set up do we need? Whats the best bait for them. Hook size etc. I read on some forums that we dont need to boat too far as they live in the kelp bed. Where are the kelp beds in neah bay?Also looking for safety criteria  like, tide conditions when to go or when to cancel if conditions is not safe. Thank you for your time and help.
Happy Hunting and Fishing

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
Re: Neah Bay Rock fish newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 08:49:59 PM »
You don’t have to go far. A lot of guys fish right out of Neah Bay and do well. May have to move around to find the fish, but when you do, it’s  usually pretty fast action. I use my salmon rod for rockfish. I like flutter jigs.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:00:16 PM by JKEEN33 »

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 09:15:52 PM »
If you are targeting Blacks then you have plenty of boat as long as you respect the weather. Watch your fish finder for shools holding in 20-100 FOW. Run a shrimp fly above a small flutter jig or jig head with rubber tail. I fish the area all the time in my kayak.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 04:20:46 AM »
i fished close in to shore with my old 13' smoker craft alaskan and it did just fine.  got some funny looks from the guys with high dollar ocean boats, but watch the weather and you should be fine.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 07:07:58 AM »
In the spring you can find them right on top of the water at times. You don't need heavy gear. They're a lot more fun on what amounts to freshwater bass gear.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline BIGMIKE

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 07:35:46 AM »
i fished close in to shore with my old 13' smoker craft alaskan and it did just fine.  got some funny looks from the guys with high dollar ocean boats, but watch the weather and you should be fine.

Thanks, looking forward to the trip.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 07:44:00 AM »
Avoid n/ nw winds of 15-20 or more and swells bigger than 6'.  NOAA nws, swell watch and magic seaweed are good wind/wave/swell predictors.

Offline BIGMIKE

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »
In the spring you can find them right on top of the water at times. You don't need heavy gear. They're a lot more fun on what amounts to freshwater bass gear.

Thanks, Great excuse to go to Sportco :chuckle:, I will let the wife know that we will need to pick up a couple of bait casting rod and reel.  :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 12:59:08 PM »
I prefer spinning rods for rockfish and "shallow" water lingcod.  With a lighter weight, you can get to the bottom, or where the fish are, faster. I use 50# Power Pro and don't lose much gear with no apparent impact on catching fish.

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 02:13:55 PM »
I'd recommend going in April before the halibut seasons kick off. Once halibut starts the rockfish get pounded on the off days and fishing close to Neah Bay gets a lot tougher. I prefer medium action spin gear and curly tail grubs. White being the best color. Have a wide selection of jig heads from 1/2 once up to even 6oz. If the tide is running hard you will need the heavier weights just to get to the fish, even in shallower water. Kelp beds aren't hard to find there, just head in to shore. They pretty much line the shoreline from Sekiu to the ocean.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »
I prefer light steelhead/salmon rods.  I want the sensitive rod tip with a level wind reel to better keep contact with the bottom and be able to feel what's happening down there. 

Back to the OP, your boat will be just fine with decent weather.  I fish Neah now in my 15' whaler, and we fished it for years out of a 15' Alaskan Smokercraft.  If you turn the corner past Waadah Island and the swell is too big, you can tuck in behind Waadah itself and catch rockfish.  If you can make it just a little further west, you can also tuck in behind various rock outcroppings and kelp beds to get out of the swell.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:43:30 PM by WAcoueshunter »

Offline BIGMIKE

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 03:11:05 PM »
I prefer spinning rods for rockfish and "shallow" water lingcod.  With a lighter weight, you can get to the bottom, or where the fish are, faster. I use 50# Power Pro and don't lose much gear with no apparent impact on catching fish.

I will bring the trusty salmon poles. Thanks.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 11:07:26 AM »
Fished that fishery many times... Three spot you should look at in my opinion. The "three fingers" right of the front of Wada Island as you round the corner to in the ocean direction there are three reefs that come off the island. These are good for ling and deeper water rock fish. You will be fishing 60 to 130'. Use an 8oz banana lead with a salmon leader 3/4o hook size with at least 30lb leader. Whole hearing. Add a shrimp fly above your banana lead. We always used 8'6 salmon rods with 50-80 lb power pro. These last few years I have stopped fishing WA and really focus my time in AK and I've moved to the Tiger Stiks by Ugly stick and I LOVE them. The second spot go around the island and into the bay. If the wind has been right the back of the bay up against the jetti with be loaded up with kelp beds. If this is the case troll 6"-8" white grubs on a 1-2 oz jig head and hold on for both ling and bass. Your trolling just off the kelp. Third spot head away from the ocean direction back towards Seku. You will come to two big rocks Seal and Sail. That entire area is good. Around the rocks spin casting white grubs or mooching in 40-90' for ling and rockfish. Along the shore there can also be great trolling for black bass. Just watch the weather and you should have fun. There is a launch right at Seal and Sail that is private. I think a hotel as well. Never used it but it would save the 5 mile run from Neah Bay. Good luck!
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline BIGMIKE

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 11:56:02 PM »
Fished that fishery many times... Three spot you should look at in my opinion. The "three fingers" right of the front of Wada Island as you round the corner to in the ocean direction there are three reefs that come off the island. These are good for ling and deeper water rock fish. You will be fishing 60 to 130'. Use an 8oz banana lead with a salmon leader 3/4o hook size with at least 30lb leader. Whole hearing. Add a shrimp fly above your banana lead. We always used 8'6 salmon rods with 50-80 lb power pro. These last few years I have stopped fishing WA and really focus my time in AK and I've moved to the Tiger Stiks by Ugly stick and I LOVE them. The second spot go around the island and into the bay. If the wind has been right the back of the bay up against the jetti with be loaded up with kelp beds. If this is the case troll 6"-8" white grubs on a 1-2 oz jig head and hold on for both ling and bass. Your trolling just off the kelp. Third spot head away from the ocean direction back towards Seku. You will come to two big rocks Seal and Sail. That entire area is good. Around the rocks spin casting white grubs or mooching in 40-90' for ling and rockfish. Along the shore there can also be great trolling for black bass. Just watch the weather and you should have fun. There is a launch right at Seal and Sail that is private. I think a hotel as well. Never used it but it would save the 5 mile run from Neah Bay. Good luck!

Wow, great info. I love this site because of people willing to share knowledge they have learned over the years. I'll post some pics after tge trip and share what we learn from the adventure.

Offline plugger

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 04:51:07 AM »
If you can get them, I would take some silver 1/2 oz blade baits, Last time I fished seabass there we killed them using them. Looked for isolated clumps of kelp, just off the beds. Cast and retrieve, I have always done better on them fishing suspended. The blades worked great on the lings also.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal