collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Used truck questions  (Read 5006 times)

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Used truck questions
« on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »
Well here in a  couple months I'll be purchasing another vehicle for myself/family. I'm looking at midsized pickups and if I had my choice is get a Tacoma, however they hold their value very well... I'm looking to spend around 3-4000. Anyone have any advice on what trucks I should focus on or stay away from. I'm partial to Ford rangers/150s. My 96 explorer served me well till she died. Not opposed to Chevy or gmc. I've been seeing a TON of dodges for sale which leads me to believe that there could be an issue after a certain point.I'm  I like the idea of having a crew cab for family, car seat eyc. But we still have our Subaru, so I could use that for family and granola munching things. Truck would be mainly used as my vehicle,work, fishing ,hunting, hauling various things, and maybe towing a small boat somewhere down the road.  Def. Need 4x4.Just looking if anyone had any point on what seem to hold up pretty well as opposed to others. Obviously previous owner care is always a factor.
Thanks.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
Re: Used truck questions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »
I am no expert but I sorta think in that price range it will depend more on up keep etc. what kinda condition it is in.
Good luck
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Sandberm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
If you only want to spend 3 to $4000 and get a 4x4, and be able to haul a bit and tow a boat I'm thinking what you are going to get is a pre 2000 vehicle with over 200k miles.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 08:59:24 AM »
Older suburbans are one of the most affordable 4x4 options out there and they last for a lot of miles, if you keep your eyes open you can find older ones with fair mileage in the 3k to 4k range. I've owned quite a few suburbans, I have two currently, had three until one was stolen while we were on vacation last summer. ggggrrrrr
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Online baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 09:23:57 AM »
I'd be looking for a late 90's Chevy or GMC.

Easy/cheap to work on and reliable rigs

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »
I'd be looking for a late 90's Chevy or GMC.

Easy/cheap to work on and reliable rigs

Yep, seems to be what I'm look looking at. I don't mind putting some work into the thing, so long as it's just not totally beat to death. Plus I do like the older body styles.

Bearpaw-suburbans skipped my mind. I'll keep an eye out. Our old one when I was younger served us well for a long time.

I not expecting to end up with a 2000 something with sub 150000 miles. I was just wondering if there were any particular years/models to keep away from.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Online HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 09:37:32 AM »
At the risk of triggering half the board...get an old Chevy S-10, I love mine.

They were the go-to vehicle for Grandpa types who like to wax their vehicles every other week on the way to there storage unit they own/run or maybe the golf course.

Very comfortable to drive/park. Navigates mountain roads nicely, 4x4. Parts are cheap and problems are known.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 11:54:13 AM »
At the risk of triggering half the board...get an old Chevy S-10, I love mine.

They were the go-to vehicle for Grandpa types who like to wax their vehicles every other week on the way to there storage unit they own/run or maybe the golf course.

Very comfortable to drive/park. Navigates mountain roads nicely, 4x4. Parts are cheap and problems are known.
S10extreamists is the best forum I've seen for infor and hacks for those trucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 03:24:09 AM »
Thanks guys, to bad that rangers over in OR. Still keeping an eye out. I wouldn't mind an s10. Old folk vehicles are the best. Usually very well taken care of, maintenance done like clockwork etc.
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ridgeratt

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
On the corner of Argonne and Upriver drive in millwood there is a ford pick-up on the northwest corner had a 2 grand sticker in the window.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:21:45 PM by Ridgeratt »

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:31 PM »
I've also been keeping my eye on vehicles in that range. Its kinda come down to this. Trucks hold their value even if they're p.o.s... so I've done my research on motors. The 4.7 Dodge that's in the older Durango's. Also some older explorers  come with a 5.0 these are smaller v8s that will tow a boat. One I've been looking for is the mercury mountaineer that comes with the Ford 4.7,same motor that the Lincoln Town car has and those well run forever. I'm not a mechanic I've just read reviews online. Good luck

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 10:31:57 AM »
I'll have to check that truck in Millwood of its still there when I get a day off.

Yep on trucks holding their value, even beat to death rusted out one, people want a decent chunk of cash for. The towing a boat deal would just be a plus extra if I find a decent deal. I'm good as long as it's got a decent motor,  most other things I can work on. I dunno,  re evaluating priorities I've broadened my horizons to include jeeps and 4 runners. Well see what comes up. If uncle Sam  does his part in the next month of so a little more cash wouldn't hurt.

To bad I'm not still by seattle- so many people buy a truck and then realize they don't have a real need for one.
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 06:47:56 PM »
In that price range I'd lean towards gm
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Lingcod

• Hunter
  • Friends don't let friends eat farmed Salmon
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »
Dont forget about Nissan Hard Bodies
“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]