collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Washington moose Gov tag 2018  (Read 12364 times)

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Washington moose Gov tag 2018
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:21:08 PM »
Is it me or did wdfw open up a bunch of new areas for the auction moose permit?
215, 218, 224, 233, 239...

Does this mean they will open up some new moose units this year?

https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/permits/raffles/bighorn_mountain_goat_moose_auction_raffle_herds_2018_wdfw.pdf
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Washington moose Gov tag 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
I think at least some of them were open last year.
 :dunno: Can't recall to say for sure.

Negative...those are new this year.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:44:02 PM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 12:48:14 PM »
That would be nice :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »

They were open last year.  There was a harvest there.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 01:08:38 PM »
Yeah...just re-read my message from a buddy. Was new as of last year.
 :sry:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:12:48 PM »
I don't see them listed as being open laat year.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 01:45:58 PM »
I don't see them listed as being open laat year.

They were only open for the auction tags

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 09:15:31 PM »
Hopefully they start putting out permits for those areas. The moose in my avatar is from one of those units.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 09:18:30 PM »

They were open last year.  There was a harvest there.

Any photo of the bull?
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline hunterofelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 09:37:59 AM »
Again, the rich hunter gets the privilege.  Sorry to be cynical, I think some animals should be  off limits if the average hunter can't hunt them.  In the fall of 2015, in the area we deer hunt, we saw many moose.   We called it the year of the moose.  Maybe so many moved in because of some wildfires that late summer.  I don't know if it is the same one from grundy53 avatar, but one big, old bull was very visible to just about everyone hunting there.  Big for a shiras.  My guess word got out and next bidder had to kill it so a little nudging and a little dangling of dollars and those units where opened.
I was at an auction in Bellevue and the moose tag was on the list.  Someone said it wouldn't go for much because the dollar amount for successful bid could get you a moose hunt in Canada or Alaska where an average mature bull is bigger.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:23:18 AM by hunterofelk »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
Again, the rich hunter gets the privilege.  Sorry to be cynical, I think some animals should be able off limits if the average hunter can't hunt them.  In the fall of 2015, in the area we deer hunt, we saw many moose.   We called it the year of the moose.  Maybe so many moved in because of some wildfires that late summer.  I don't know if it is the same one from grundy53 avatar, but one big, old bull was very visible to just about everyone hunting there.  Big for a shiras.  My guess word got out and next bidder had to kill it so a little nudging and a little dangling of dollars and those units where opened.
I was at an auction in Bellevue and the moose tag was on the list.  Someone said it wouldn't go for much because the dollar amount for successful bid could get you a moose hunt in Canada or Alaska where an average mature bull is bigger.

Some of the bidders/winners are not necessarily doing it because they are focused on getting the biggest bull/buck out there, but rather for the ability to be able to go hunt anytime, most anywhere they want.

Can you imagine being able to take 2 days here, 3 days there, grab your gear and go......today to unit 101......maybe tomorrow 224.......maybe next week 117.

There is more appeal to those tags than antler size for a lot of these guys. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
Again, the rich hunter gets the privilege.  Sorry to be cynical, I think some animals should be able off limits if the average hunter can't hunt them.  In the fall of 2015, in the area we deer hunt, we saw many moose.   We called it the year of the moose.  Maybe so many moved in because of some wildfires that late summer.  I don't know if it is the same one from grundy53 avatar, but one big, old bull was very visible to just about everyone hunting there.  Big for a shiras.  My guess word got out and next bidder had to kill it so a little nudging and a little dangling of dollars and those units where opened.

Some of the bidders/winners are not necessarily doing it because they are focused on getting the biggest bull/buck out there, but rather for the ability to be able to go hunt anytime, most anywhere they want.

Can you imagine being able to take 2 days here, 3 days there, grab your gear and go......today to unit 101......maybe tomorrow 224.......maybe next week 117.

There is more appeal to those tags than antler size for a lot of these guys. :twocents:

:yeah: And just to be able to go hunt a moose in WA, many of us will never draw a tag in our lifetime.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 10:12:35 AM »

I know the guy who worked to get those units opened up. I will tell you with 100% certainty that it had nothing to do with money. Had everything to do with more hunter opportunity. The auction money goes to the species so the moose populations in WA will benefit from the money these auctions raise.
In terms of moose here vs. Canada or Alaska, I'm not sure what you heard was accurate either. That or the person saying it maybe wasn't too familiar with moose. You're talking about 2 different subspecies of moose. It's like saying you shouldn't hunt Coues whitetails because there are huge whitetail bucks in Iowa. If you want a big Shiras bull, Washington has some of the biggest Shiras bulls in the country. The mountain goat tag sold here for ~$25k. You can do a couple BC mountain goat hunts for that money and hunt the biggest goats in the world. These guys have more reasons than just killing giant animals when buying these tags.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »
So how exactly do moose benefit from the money raised?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 10:48:08 AM »
So how exactly do moose benefit from the money raised?

Don't know and don't have the time to figure it out. Just mentioning what is stated here:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/permits/raffles/faq.html

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal