collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018-2020 Hunting Proposals Out for Comment  (Read 23311 times)

Online dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2018-2020 Hunting Proposals Out for Comment
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2018, 10:26:36 AM »
I just hope bowhunters are ready to find these unicorns! 🦄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2018, 10:39:34 AM »
That's where your wrong. I have been to meetings where there are groups like the horsemen that have a great turn out and wanted certain trails built. You make your inputs on a map and sure enough the trails that were scheduled to be built were the ones they wanted due to their input. Hunters are all over the board and thus nothing gets done unless an effort is made.
that's where i'm wrong?I'm not wrong the horse groups work together always have.They work for what they want and they push the ideas they want..snowmobiler's,jeeper's build a lot of bridges and work on a lot of trails in this state.They use spokesman,they have meetings before these hearings,we hunters don't.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
Sorry, 225, not 250. But still a big step up.
You must be seeing something I'm not.  IN the over 20 years I've been in the Hunters area I've seen a steady decline in the whitetail numbers.  We used to winter 200-250 around my house and now see maybe 40-50.  Mule deer numbers continue to climb, but still not huge numbers.  Not sure how we go from recently having a 4point antler restriction to bring the numbers back and now think we need to give out 225 doe tags.

I agree with you, I'm not seeing an over abundance of deer, this would be a smarter move after we recover a little more from the last big population decline only two years ago.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
Well I am sure with the current deer and elk population the WDFW is hoping us hunters get used to the fact there is little wildlife. That way if there is even a sudden change in population they will throw one of their makes them look good statistics out. As their population proposals are so low that the only way is up. Hoping to train us like a dog and pony show. :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2018, 04:35:50 PM »
Well I am sure with the current deer and elk population the WDFW is hoping us hunters get used to the fact there is little wildlife. That way if there is even a sudden change in population they will throw one of their makes them look good statistics out. As their population proposals are so low that the only way is up. Hoping to train us like a dog and pony show. :twocents:

I have to credit them for reducing doe harvest after the dieoff, but it was after local residents made a big deal about it, now back to selling tags...
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline renrutbocaj

• Tracker
    • @MainbeamWC
« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2018, 12:28:14 PM »
To Bearpaw and Baldopepper...
I agree that the whitetail numbers are down in our area... Hunters area especially. But I think if you were to spread those 225 doe tags out across 121, and estimate maybe 70% get used (~158) then we really are not talking about many deer across the whole GMU. Considering the numbers of bucks being harvested has increased drastically over the past 2 years (avg. 1975/yr) vs the past 5 year average (1447/yr).
I have noticed in the Hunters area and have also heard from others in the Cedonia/Harvey Creek areas that the buck numbers are down big time, and not just from hunting. With the buck to doe ratio so out of whack, these bucks are forced to breed with way more does then they should have to. If a few people who would typically shoot a buck, get a doe with one of these permits, that would greatly reduce the stress on our mature bucks and allow them to winter a lot better. Around my house, I am seeing 50-60 does throughout the winter/spring months, whereas throughout the past two years, I have only witnessed (via trailcams and binos) 2-3 bucks that are over 2 years old. That is a terrible ratio of roughly 20/1.

Needless to say I am fighting an endless battle with Coyotes right now as well that just killed a fawn buck behind the house, so thats not helping either. :bash:

I would love to talk more if you want to shoot me a message. I always welcome great wildlife talk and conversations especially from fellow locals.

In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2018, 08:37:14 PM »
This sums up the GMU's that will be off limits for night hunting bobcat, yes you can hunt yotes.  Evidently one dude shot a lynx at night so this is the big red panic button rule.

I was close

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2018, 12:24:27 AM »
To Bearpaw and Baldopepper...
I agree that the whitetail numbers are down in our area... Hunters area especially. But I think if you were to spread those 225 doe tags out across 121, and estimate maybe 70% get used (~158) then we really are not talking about many deer across the whole GMU. Considering the numbers of bucks being harvested has increased drastically over the past 2 years (avg. 1975/yr) vs the past 5 year average (1447/yr).
I have noticed in the Hunters area and have also heard from others in the Cedonia/Harvey Creek areas that the buck numbers are down big time, and not just from hunting. With the buck to doe ratio so out of whack, these bucks are forced to breed with way more does then they should have to. If a few people who would typically shoot a buck, get a doe with one of these permits, that would greatly reduce the stress on our mature bucks and allow them to winter a lot better. Around my house, I am seeing 50-60 does throughout the winter/spring months, whereas throughout the past two years, I have only witnessed (via trailcams and binos) 2-3 bucks that are over 2 years old. That is a terrible ratio of roughly 20/1.

Needless to say I am fighting an endless battle with Coyotes right now as well that just killed a fawn buck behind the house, so thats not helping either. :bash:

I would love to talk more if you want to shoot me a message. I always welcome great wildlife talk and conversations especially from fellow locals.

The reason the buck kill was lower the previous 5 years is because we had the 4 point rule, we built up the buck population, WDFW removed the rule and now the buck population is again being over harvested and we lost everything we had gained!  :bash:

I give up on WDFW, all they want is tag sales and don't care about the game, I'm simply going to shoot deer when seasons are open, my giveadam is busted!

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2018, 06:30:54 AM »
my giveadam is busted!
Amen.
At least they displayed our public comments for people to read online...
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »
I heard a lot of talk out there about people being upset with the proposals but didn't step up to the plate and make a comment. Exactly why we are in the situation we are in.

How do you know? You assume that WDFW make decisions based on our email suggestions?
Its quite easy you look at the before and after proposals and read the suggestions made.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2018, 06:09:23 AM »
I heard a lot of talk out there about people being upset with the proposals but didn't step up to the plate and make a comment. Exactly why we are in the situation we are in.

How do you know? You assume that WDFW make decisions based on our email suggestions?
Its quite easy you look at the before and after proposals and read the suggestions made.

:yeah:

What is even sadder is how many proposals over the years have been made buy hunters and then excepted by the commission.  A few years  later the hunter are blaming WDFW for the change.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]