collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any other bowhunters want to throw up?  (Read 18522 times)

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Any other bowhunters want to throw up?
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:39:51 PM »
I just read the proposed elk regs and the amount of lost opportunity by bowhunters is absurd.

The Nile, Bumping and Rimrock is all spike only with no cow permits.  Both modern and muzzle loader have cow permits.

I can’t make sense of these proposed changes.

I can’t sleep now... GGRRRRRR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Any other bowhunters want to throw up?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:03:44 AM »
I believe we are getting fed a nice chit sandwich. I just crunched the harvest numbers and in no way has our harvest increased enough in the Nile, bumping or rimrock to warrant taking away our opportunity to hunt cows.

The take of cows in the quilomene and naneum on the other hand from the last two years available data show a substantial increase of cows taken.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 05:14:54 AM »
Its a choice of weapon cycle where in 6 yrs you will get your cow permits back, kind of like the wolf ungulate cycle. :chuckle: Think of it as an experiment by WDFW
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:34:48 AM »
Total BS
West side here I come .......... again
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 06:42:12 AM »
Everyone needs to submit comments during the comment period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 06:52:34 AM »
I'm curious if bowhunters have any support from muzzleloader and rifle hunters that benefited from the taking away of bowhunters or if they support the proposed changes.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 06:56:40 AM »
Whether we want to admit it or not overall population of the Yakima pmu is down significantly over the last couple years. We are still allowed late season so I don't see anything wrong with the 3-year cycle of letting the herb build back up. I also believe that should be Universal across the board and not just early archery as I think that's a pretty small Band-Aid for pretty big wound. This is coming from a guy who loves early archery season and despises having to hunt late archery. Backpacking in the sunshine and calling in Elk is the best thing ever and I'll still be doing it but I'll be looking for spikes.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 06:57:05 AM »
Isn't there still cows to hunt late?
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 07:02:53 AM »
Whether we want to admit it or not overall population of the Yakima pmu is down significantly over the last couple years. We are still allowed late season so I don't see anything wrong with the 3-year cycle of letting the herb build back up. I also believe that should be Universal across the board and not just early archery as I think that's a pretty small Band-Aid for pretty big wound. This is coming from a guy who loves early archery season and despises having to hunt late archery. Backpacking in the sunshine and calling in Elk is the best thing ever and I'll still be doing it but I'll be looking for spikes.

So, you're for the substantial increase in cow tags for the muzzleloader and rifle guys? Your opinion is those new tags will tag out less cows than the OTC archery cow tag and build the herd back up?

Please don't take those as negatives just genuine guestions for me to gain more knowledge.

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 07:04:54 AM »
Isn't there still cows to hunt late?
Yep and those cows stay exactly in the same place in late November and early December as they do in September. Especially with all the farms and feed stations down low, they have zero desire to leave and go to that nice fresh lowland private out of unit food. The late season is like shooting fish in a barrel up there.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 07:10:30 AM »

So, you're for the substantial increase in cow tags for the muzzleloader and rifle guys? Your opinion is those new tags will tag out less cows than the OTC archery cow tag and build the herd back up?

Please don't take those as negatives just genuine guestions for me to gain more knowledge.
  I haven't looked over all of the proposed permits yet so I couldn't speak to that yet.  I'm speaking to the Yakima pmu not klickitat.   Had a good convo with a bio friend last fall and the Yakima herd is down thousands of animals over the last three years.  End goal should be healthy robust herds.  If that comes with the loss of some opportunity for a 3 year cycle I'm ok with that within reason.  Did they add a significant amount of cow tags for muzzy and rifle in the Yakima gmu's?

I'm still extremely angry that the state fails to do anything to help our mule deer herds in this state.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline 92xj

• Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:40 AM »

I haven't looked over all of the proposed permits yet so I couldn't speak to that yet.  I'm speaking to the Yakima pmu not klickitat.   Had a good convo with a bio friend last fall and the Yakima herd is down thousands of animals over the last three years.  End goal should be healthy robust herds.  If that comes with the loss of some opportunity for a 3 year cycle I'm ok with that within reason.  Did they add a significant amount of cow tags for muzzy and rifle in the Yakima gmu's?

I'm still extremely angry that the state fails to do anything to help our mule deer herds in this state.

Well, maybe not. I could have been mistake and misspoke.  I thought I had read there was an increase in permit cow tags for those two groups, but I just looked at the pdf and did not see an increase, just the same number of cow permit tags for them. 
But then I question, why not decrease those tags to help build the herd?
Taken something 100% away from one group just sucks, for whatever group that is.  Give and take, not just take.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 07:28:32 AM »

Well, maybe not. I could have been mistake and misspoke.  I thought I had read there was an increase in permit cow tags for those two groups, but I just looked at the pdf and did not see an increase, just the same number of cow permit tags for them. 
But then I question, why not decrease those tags to help build the herd?
Taken something 100% away from one group just sucks, for whatever group that is.  Give and take, not just take.
  I agree 100%. However we still have late season opportunities. But I would also argue that taking away rifle and Muzzleloader cow permits would be more effective than General archery especially the early-season. I have not looked at Harvest data to back that up though so maybe I'm just talking out my behind LOL. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
It does look like the kittitas boys took it in the shorts though with big permit increases.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 08:20:03 AM »
I just get the feel that there is more to the halting of archery cow tags than meets the eye. Maybe some influence from a certain group behind the scenes had some sway in this vote...
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull