collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Any other bowhunters want to throw up?  (Read 18515 times)

Offline fastdam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Any other bowhunters want to throw up?
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »
Muzzy guys better get ready for some company!

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
Hunting seasons for the most part are not based on science. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just the way it is. It's fine to ask for the reasoning behind a change like this, but don't ask for that reason to be based on science.
Huh?  I meant herd health, total population, management goals etc.  There is science and math used counting total population and carrying capacity of land.

If the game department doesn’t use science they are even more screwed up than your view of hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »
Muzzy guys better get ready for some company!
Yup.  A cow tag in October will have to do.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »
The herds are in trouble because of last winter.  It was brutal for herds.  The increased number of antlerless tags the few years prior was a good thing or even more elk would of died last winter.  Elk permits for Eastern Modern and eastern Muzzleloader are down to less then 5% of what they historically have been.  Ya it sucks for a loss of opportunity but with the increased number of archery guys out and the reduced herds do to last years harsh weather I think this is a smart move.  With each of the units that saw antlerless archery go away they were averaging 50 or so cows taken a year per GMU so the that is still more then the rifle hunters averaged even with 250 permits when they used to hand that many out.  Look at the statistics, hunting during modern is not easy and success rates are really low.  It is not because of lack of skill or effort it is because the animals have been getting pushed around for two months and are not in the rut.
The allocation of harvest is based on % of hunters.  That is the formula the GMAC has agreed upon. These changes are in direct violation of this agreement.

If the herd (big if) is down then 1. They should be able to present numbers and facts and 2. Then all anterless opportunity should be eliminated.

I don’t agree with the allocation process but if those are the rules then they better follow them.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »
Hunting seasons for the most part are not based on science. And that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's just the way it is. It's fine to ask for the reasoning behind a change like this, but don't ask for that reason to be based on science.
Huh?  I meant herd health, total population, management goals etc.  There is science and math used counting total population and carrying capacity of land.

If the game department doesn’t use science they are even more screwed up than your view of hunting.

First, we don't have a game department. I wish we did, maybe then deer and elk would be the priority.

Second, ask the WDFW if deer and elk population objectives are based more on science, or on what private landowners will tolerate.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »
Ok don’t hate me for asking this but if they didn’t take away the late season couldn’t they then argue that they’re in affect reducing the opportunity not eliminating it? Don’t get me wrong I don’t really agree with what they’ve done. I’d estimate way more cows are killed late rather than early if they want to reduce the cows killed they should’ve tak n late season
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 04:10:54 PM »
Late seasons suck, they jam everyone into a small unit and open others that don't have many critters since they've already moved down. IMO they are just going to put more stress on the resource in the late season. The Nile is busier than modern firearm season in that unit.

If they are reducing opportunity for Archery they should adjust tags accordingly for muzzleloader and modern.

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »
Seems like if you hunt in Washington
From what Ive seen in the last 35 years.
You need to learn to bend over
User groups- imagine how nice it was to get one deer or elk tag and be able to pursue using all weapon choices.
Less than 50 bucks for all liscences
Then it was choose your hunt area for elk east or west
Then good bye to bear and cat hounds and bear baiting
Goodbye to body grip trapping
Habitat loss
Tree company fees
Now it’s just more of the same plus lets add some wolves in also
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2018, 06:29:52 PM »
Everyone needs to submit comments during the comment period.

:yeah: :yeah:

This actually works along with a trip to the commission meeting to voice your opinion.  You have to make sure that you argue to have OTC cow hunts in multiple units to keep hunters spread out.  If one unit is open and all the others around it are closed people will migrate to the one unit that is open.

If the move to no archery cow opportunity is herd health then we have to argue to eliminate the extra muzzy and modern cow tags.  I just don't see how the solution is to take opportunity away from one group and give more to the other two groups.
Definitely need to open up some more GMU's for early archery. Even if they are spike only.  Bethel, Tampico, and Little Naches or at least one of them.  No reason archers should NEVER be able to hunt early in those units. It would relieve a lot of crowding and pressure on the animals. 

Offline hughjorgan

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 08:23:01 PM »
Everyone needs to submit comments during the comment period.

:yeah: :yeah:

This actually works along with a trip to the commission meeting to voice your opinion.  You have to make sure that you argue to have OTC cow hunts in multiple units to keep hunters spread out.  If one unit is open and all the others around it are closed people will migrate to the one unit that is open.

If the move to no archery cow opportunity is herd health then we have to argue to eliminate the extra muzzy and modern cow tags.  I just don't see how the solution is to take opportunity away from one group and give more to the other two groups.
Definitely need to open up some more GMU's for early archery. Even if they are spike only.  Bethel, Tampico, and Little Naches or at least one of them.  No reason archers should NEVER be able to hunt early in those units. It would relieve a lot of crowding and pressure on the animals.

:yeah:

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2018, 09:45:53 PM »
I realize i'm gonna get flamed but how many on this thread have taken the time to go out and kill some coyotes,bear or tag a cougar this season?Another way of looking at this as was pointed out already is there are way more modern firearm hunters putting in the pot stands to reason they should have more from the pot.Also if there are more modern firearm hunters out trying to help with the problem by killing coyotes,bears and cougars then maybe they should be rewarded more from the pot.  :twocents: If you are an archery hunter as well i am then maybe this year go hunt modern if you want a chance at a cow tag.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2018, 09:52:41 PM »
This state will always cater to those who spend the most money and that is the MF  group. Give archers better early season dates and take away the late season.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2018, 10:32:13 PM »
 :yeah: ok but why early and not late,not arguing just that people complain about early temps too.well actually complain no matter what.just sayin
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline fastdam

• Longhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2018, 08:55:56 AM »
r
I much prefer late season hunting to early. It's so hot early season. It can be 100 degrees. That's not ideal hunting temps

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2018, 09:21:12 AM »
Anyone who thinks that Modern Firearm hunters have anything over the Archery tags or season are sadly mistaken.  Modern Firearm season is a joke.  All herds have spent the last two months being chased around from other hunters, loss of legal animals that have been harvested by other hunters, no rutting activity, way more people in the woods.  Yes Modern guys do have a superior weapon but they are chasing around very skittish animals.  The success rates are low for modern hunters.  Look at the harvest rates.  Archery guys generally kill more animals per unit then modern guys even though there are way less hunters.  With the loss of antlerless hunting the archery success rates will most likely come down to the MF success rates which average around 3% for most units.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 10:01:30 PM by Buzz2401 »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter