collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wdfw Proposal for reduced youth antlerless moose tags  (Read 16688 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Wdfw Proposal for reduced youth antlerless moose tags
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »
This youth argument has been on here before. You are either for youth special draws or basically completely against it. As seen again on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not entirely accurate, for example, I'm totally for allowing youth extra opportunity as long as herds can support the impact. When herds are down I think all or most antlerless harvest should be stopped until herds recover. A good example, I thought antlerless deer harvest should be reduced in NE WA after we had the big blue tongue die off, they did and we saved a lot of does. We are two years away from that and seeing more does, I agreed with the WDFW's proposal this year to increase antlerless harvest somewhat. In a year or two given reasonable winters I bet we can get back to season long youth/disabled/senior antlerless and offering more doe permits to all other hunters in each unit unless predation seems to be preventing a recovery.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2018, 01:18:58 PM »
youth went from 18 tags down to 1     :chuckle:

The ONLY reason to leave 1 tag on the table is for the uninformed people to buy into the draw.

People who've been putting in for it will continue instead of going to put in for it, can't find it, then get all bent they couldn't put in for their kids' youth tag not knowing there's only 1 tag     :lol4:

are we seriously squabbling over these scraps?  The joke is on us (those that put in for it anyways)

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2018, 01:24:28 PM »
This youth argument has been on here before. You are either for youth special draws or basically completely against it. As seen again on this thread.

That's not entirely accurate, for example, I'm totally for allowing youth extra opportunity as long as herds can support the impact. When herds are down I think all or most antlerless harvest should be stopped until herds recover. A good example, I thought antlerless deer harvest should be reduced in NE WA after we had the big blue tongue die off, they did and we saved a lot of does. We are two years away from that and seeing more does, I agreed with the WDFW's proposal this year to increase antlerless harvest somewhat. In a year or two given reasonable winters I bet we can get back to season long youth/disabled/senior antlerless and offering more doe permits to all other hunters in each unit unless predation seems to be preventing a recovery.
So you agree that the youth tags should be cut by 95%. And the general by only a few. Youth took the brunt of this cut. I have one youth left and none have ever drawn a Moose tag (all aged out with 8-9 points each). Everyone on here that is saying youth don’t need to hunt Moose should go on a youth Moose hunt and see if it’s not a great experience for a young hunter.  As most people on here no I moose hunt a little bit. Some of my best hunts are with youth and disabled hunters that are just trying to fill a cow tag. Not the trophy hunter that is looking for the next state record.  All this being said we all need to stop killing cows for a few years or Moose in Washington will be a non huntable species.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2018, 01:26:41 PM »

The ONLY reason to leave 1 tag on the table is for the uninformed people to buy into the draw.

People who've been putting in for it will continue instead of going to put in for it, can't find it, then get all bent they couldn't put in for their kids' youth tag not knowing there's only 1 tag     :lol4:

are we seriously squabbling over these scraps?  The joke is on us (those that put in for it anyways)
Mine will not be putting in and it’s his last year with nine points

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »

I agree it's a joke that there is only 1 youth moose tag, but I don't agree that only the uninformed will apply. I'll put my 12 year old daughter in for it even though odds of drawing are almost impossible. What choice do I have? She's got 9 points, for $3.30 I might as well donate the money for the very small chance that she might draw. I'll also put her in for the bull tags and the regular antlerless tags but for a few more dollars might as well try for the 1 youth tag as well.

I will be sending in comments and asking them to increase the youth tags though, and hopefully they will.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
Get used too it, this is just the beginning.   Moose tags are going to go down every cycle from here on out.

Moose are peaked dontcha know     :lol4:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 01:41:58 PM »
It's fine, I expect I'll be taking my daughters hunting in Idaho and Wyoming in the future, more than we'll be hunting in Washington.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

I agree it's a joke that there is only 1 youth moose tag, but I don't agree that only the uninformed will apply. I'll put my 12 year old daughter in for it even though odds of drawing are almost impossible. What choice do I have? She's got 9 points, for $3.30 I might as well donate the money for the very small chance that she might draw. I'll also put her in for the bull tags and the regular antlerless tags but for a few more dollars might as well try for the 1 youth tag as well.

I will be sending in comments and asking them to increase the youth tags though, and hopefully they will.

At least you know the joke even as you stick out your chin for that $3.20 slap in the face, but hey, it's just a latte' right?  Doesn't hurt much.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »

At least you know the joke even as you stick out your chin for that $3.20 slap in the face, but hey, it's just a latte' right?  Doesn't hurt much.

Hey what the heck, some people spend money on lottery tickets, I'll spend my money on special hunt applications, even if the odds are only 1 in 1800.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 02:23:52 PM »
I just sent this comment in on the proposed moose permits:

I understand cow moose harvest needs to be reduced and I'm fine with that, but I'd like to see just a few more youth tags, rather than only 1. Last year there were 1,861 applicants for 18 youth antlerless moose tags. With only 1 tag for over 1800 applicants, you might as well just eliminate that category entirely. And maybe that's an option? I think it would be fair to do that if the points those kids have could be transferred over to the regular antlerless category.

One change I've asked for in the past, and will now again, is to make the antlerless moose tags once in a lifetime just like the bull moose tags. If someone gets the opportunity to hunt moose in Washington, I feel like one time is enough whether they hunted bulls or cows. Most people will NEVER draw a moose tag, any moose tag, so I think it's unfair that some people could possibly hunt moose more than once.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
I think one’s odds of getting a moose permit would be far better by purchasing $10 worth of the cryptocurrencies like Ripple, Ethereum, and Ripple. If one of them goes up 1,000 fold you have $10,000 to go towards a guided hunt. The odds of that happening are arguably better than getting a  youth permit that you can only get drawn for during a brief number of years.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 09:51:22 PM »
I drew the 2016 Mount Spokane North cow permit.  I made 4 scouting trips and spent 14 days afield and seen a total of 4 moose.  And I put a LOT of boot miles on all trips.  And glassed a million square miles probably.  I did get a moose but after a butt load of work.  My avatar shows my cow.  If I recall, there were 7 cow permits and 8 youth cow permits.  I have to admit that was way too many.  I am not in total agreement of eliminating all permits, but I would be an advocate of maybe 1 or 2 cow permits total in that area.  When I drew the permit I thought I'd see moose everywhere.  Not the case.  And, there are no wolves there, according to WDFW.

Actually there are wolves in that area.  I've seen them. 

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:13 PM »

So you agree that the youth tags should be cut by 95%. And the general by only a few. Youth took the brunt of this cut. I have one youth left and none have ever drawn a Moose tag (all aged out with 8-9 points each). Everyone on here that is saying youth don’t need to hunt Moose should go on a youth Moose hunt and see if it’s not a great experience for a young hunter.  As most people on here no I moose hunt a little bit. Some of my best hunts are with youth and disabled hunters that are just trying to fill a cow tag. Not the trophy hunter that is looking for the next state record.  All this being said we all need to stop killing cows for a few years or Moose in Washington will be a non huntable species.

YES, ALL COW TAGS SHOULD BE ELIMINATED IN MOST UNITS!
Give the youth some bull tags, I'm all for getting youth involved but not at the expense of the herd! Giving them bull tags will not impact the herd the same way that killing cows will.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2018, 03:00:00 AM »
Buglebrush, I was of course being in jest.  Sorry for any misunderstanding.  You are correct, there are most definitely wolves there. 

What I could not understand,  was there were 24 total moose permits in that area that year, if I recall.  Way too many. I know a lot of you are aware that the vast majority of the moose are concentrated in a very small percentage of the unit.  I was thrilled with the opportunity but I do agree that the cow permits should be OIL.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »
I drew the 2016 Mount Spokane North cow permit.  I made 4 scouting trips and spent 14 days afield and seen a total of 4 moose.  And I put a LOT of boot miles on all trips.  And glassed a million square miles probably.  I did get a moose but after a butt load of work.  My avatar shows my cow.  If I recall, there were 7 cow permits and 8 youth cow permits.  I have to admit that was way too many.  I am not in total agreement of eliminating all permits, but I would be an advocate of maybe 1 or 2 cow permits total in that area.  When I drew the permit I thought I'd see moose everywhere.  Not the case.  And, there are no wolves there, according to WDFW.

Actually there are wolves in that area.  I've seen them.

I've seen wolf tracks there too, but I think there was a study done close to there and most of the moose are dieing from ticks in that southern study area. There used to be enough moose in that unit to support the number of tags, it wasn't a problem, I would see 5 to 20 moose most days I hunted. But, now that numbers have really dropped I think we need to save the cows to have the best chance at rebuilding the herd. That is another one of the units that is really hurting compared to what used to exist there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]