collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bucks and horn loss  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Mallardmasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
Bucks and horn loss
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:34:57 AM »
What makes a buck lose him horns, you read health, injury, low testosterone after rut. Ect.
We have a few feeding sites, on one stand 7 bucks have dropped before Jan 1st, a spike and two point still are packing, and on all 7, regrowth has started, ranging between 1 and 21/2”. On another stand no bucks have dropped, it seems like all bucks are less the 21/2 years old, ranging from spikes to small 4pts, 9 bucks total. We started supplementing this site 12/22/17  almost three months later then the above mentioned. Partner is convinced this site has healthier bucks because they are still packing.I think with good habitat and responsible supp, you super charge regrowth when ever they do drop, as bodies are replenished months before Mother Nature and green up jump in.
What are your thoughts on how, when and why?
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bucks and horn loss
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »
I assume you are watching blacktail?  My experience is mostly whitetail but might apply.  It is mostly a hormonal thing, not just testosterone, a balance of several which change with many environmental factors thrown in.  A stressful weather change early winter can put some horns on the ground.  I think this happens because hard rutting bucks hormone levels change so the buck has a chance to survive.  Certainly not a simple, predictable thing.
Elk seem to be more durable, new growth pushes off old horns much later, early spring.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
I know one thing.  No one has studied BTs enough to answer your question specific to the BT species.  Many studies have been done on WTs, so one can only infer that the two share similar physiology related to antler formation and loss.  Here's a good quick read/overview that will leave you feeling unsatisfied regarding your two situations:

https://www.qdma.com/causes-early-antler-casting/

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:39:59 PM »
One area I have gone into I have seen antlers on the ground with blood on the bases January 30th. The earliest I ever found one at that elevation that was new was January 21st. Because of work last year I couldn't get in there until the middle of February. I found several including one with some blood still on the base. I'm trying to dial in the areas I go into and they do seem to be slightly different. An area I used to go I could always find little fork horns the beginning of January. The elevation was a couple thousand feet higher. The blacktail in Alaska I believe shed their antlers in December. I wonder if the ones in California shed a bit later than us?

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:17:15 PM »
Ive noticed regional differences throughout the years. I’ve noticed some years they drop earlier or later than others, Bell curve wise, as in a shift in it.   Its Mostly do to chemical or hormone changes and I’m sure there is more to hormones than just light.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 03:06:14 PM »
 :yeah: For BT the earliest I have found a horn was December 17th or 18th. A young fork horn. I have found several in December all were small bucks and I typically see most  bucks holding till at least mid January. I don't have a lot of experience with migrating deer or whitetails.

My BELIEF is that it is 100 percent hormonal driven and triggered much like the rut based on photo period. What gets confusing is that there are so many other things that influence it getting an accurate picture is impossible making the actual drop for an individual buck or herd a sliding scale. A rough example might be sleep for us. We know that in a natural environment as light decreases our bodies release melatonin in response making us sleepy. But that doesn't mean as soon as it gets dark everyone falls asleep. Their is a bunch of other factors at play, with age, stress, and health playing key roles.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
well, what ever the reason, and I am scratching my head. I would think the Bucks that have dropped, and are pushing close to 2" already, on a good 20% protein supplementation, and reading they could grow from 1/4-11/4" total inches Aday. They could have a solid 15 " plus over non supplemented bucks, that start in April during green-up. They sure eat a lot now, at least 250lb a week. Will be exciting to see what one of our toads will become. These two are on it multiple times aday
Matt

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 06:30:23 PM »
That is a great pair, you are helping them reach their potential.  Please remember that final size is mostly genetic not nutritional.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 06:36:32 PM »
it will be interesting to see what their potential is. Some real good genes in our area.
Matt

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 10:05:18 PM »
Prolly gunna look sumthin like this.  You better keep feedin' 'em:

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 06:37:23 AM »
That would be all good
Matt

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 04:02:03 AM »
I've pondered this very much , I last saw my 4x5 up north last month , after not seeing him all season , saw him on camera before the season like five times , but then disappeared all season , he still had his rack when I saw him last month , does this point to good health , cuz I already no he is very smart , and a kick in the !!??$#@! To hunt for , so I'm in the hope he makes it another year mode , and as you can see , he is till enterupting my sleep ,, darn critter !!
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 05:03:29 AM »
No the wolves got him and they appreciate you not shooting him so they can get a good meal.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »
I tend to think horn drop has to do with stress and feed.  Seems the further north you go the sooner they lose them.  The "farm bucks" bucks in SE or S. Central Wa don't drop till early March.  :dunno:

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:39 PM »
I was up on the ranch That I hunt mule deer two days ago here in eastern WA 2-3-18.  I saw a nice herd of deer and saw a huge 2x2 and a couple of other smaller bucks all with their horns on them.  I saw a small 4x4 with a horn on one side and missing the other.  I assume he had just shed it.  Maybe there was a buck or two that I didn't notice that had already shed there antlers????   Don't know if that helps.
Zonk Volmer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU