collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trumps EPA says NO to Pebble Mine  (Read 24291 times)

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Trumps EPA says NO to Pebble Mine
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »
More info for those that are interested. Pretty much everyone except for a couple billionaires have said this is a terrible idea and it is still being pushed through.

http://www.savebristolbay.org/

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
Email from sportsmen need to flood their system reminding him that many (most?) of us were his voter base.  >:(

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 03:23:59 PM »
Email from sportsmen need to flood their system reminding him that many (most?) of us were his voter base.  >:(

Unfortunately they already have. This particular issue has been hard fought for years. There is no illusion across the board where sportsmen stand. The reality and truth of the situation is, this administration could give a long term rats ass about sportsmen, wildlife, and/or habitat. Sure a bone was tossed with the LWCF renewal, but look  at the rollbacks for the environment, public lands, clean water, habitat protection, and on and on. Literally approaching hundreds.

That said, it isn't a surprise. To be clear I will and have voted Republican for the right candidate, but the reality is the planks that make up their platform are not pro wildlife, and are therefore not pro hunter. They want to deregulate environmental protection, privatize/develop public lands, etc....in the name of industry and jobs. On one hand they pretend to be hunter's friends by being the "2A" party, and on the other they want to implement policies that will wreck habitat and limit hunting opportunity. I'm not saying what is right or wrong, and it leaves hunters in a tough spot. If you are for deregulation,  transfer of public lands etc...good for you. But, those stances will and do have an impact on hunting. If you consider hunting to be behind a high fence and a for profit operation, then carry-on.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:18:19 PM by stlusn30-06 »
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 03:51:56 PM »
I've written my reps more about this than any other issue. I think McMorris-Rodgers is getting sick of hearing about it, for example...  Guess we have to keep fighting.  Those rivers, those runs of salmon, are already a 'wealth generator'. Ramrodding that damn mine into the headwaters of not one, but two of the last, best salmon rivers is as bad an idea as I can imagine. I have friends who fish those waters both recreationally and commercially, and they are distraught.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 05:20:18 PM »

Unfortunately they already have. This particular issue has been hard fought for years. There is no illusion across the board where sportsmen stand. The reality and truth of the situation is, this administration could give a long term rats ass about sportsmen, wildlife, and/or habitat. Sure a bone was tossed with the LWCF renewal, but look across the board at the rollbacks for the environment, public lands, clean water, habitat protection, and on and on. Literally approaching hundreds.

That said, it isn't a surprise. To be clear I will and have voted Republican for the right candidate, but the reality is across the board the planks that make up their platform are not pro wildlife. They want to deregulate environmental protection, privatize/develop public lands, etc....in the name of industry and jobs. On one hand they pretend to be hunter's friends by being the "2A" party, and on the other they want to implement policies that will wreck habitat and limit hunting opportunity. I'm not saying what is right or wrong. If you are for deregulation,  transfer of public lands etc...good for you. But, those stances will and do have an impact on hunting. If you consider hunting to be behind a high fence and a for profit operation, then carry-on.

Hell yea, man. I agree completely. This coming from a once republican, once democrat and for a while now an independent who votes both ways.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 10:02:45 AM »

Unfortunately they already have. This particular issue has been hard fought for years. There is no illusion across the board where sportsmen stand. The reality and truth of the situation is, this administration could give a long term rats ass about sportsmen, wildlife, and/or habitat. Sure a bone was tossed with the LWCF renewal, but look across the board at the rollbacks for the environment, public lands, clean water, habitat protection, and on and on. Literally approaching hundreds.

That said, it isn't a surprise. To be clear I will and have voted Republican for the right candidate, but the reality is across the board the planks that make up their platform are not pro wildlife. They want to deregulate environmental protection, privatize/develop public lands, etc....in the name of industry and jobs. On one hand they pretend to be hunter's friends by being the "2A" party, and on the other they want to implement policies that will wreck habitat and limit hunting opportunity. I'm not saying what is right or wrong. If you are for deregulation,  transfer of public lands etc...good for you. But, those stances will and do have an impact on hunting. If you consider hunting to be behind a high fence and a for profit operation, then carry-on.

Unfortunately this is true. All parties need to be pro environment which can include being pro business.

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 10:47:06 AM »
I know many miners in Alaska and not one support Pebble Mine. Those big storage ponds in an earthquake zone is plain stupid to them. Also the fact that they will never be reclaimed unless by the government is a big loser for them.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2020, 11:26:21 AM »

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2020, 11:38:29 AM »
I am ALL ABOUT the feds staying in their lane and out of the way when it comes to regulation. I feel like I'm among the most regulated, most inspected, most scrutinized by those beaurueacratic nit pickers out there.  I don't wish it on anybody else.  However, I also think a total accounting of the risks and rewards of a project like this is impossible, and the likely potential environmental impact is severe.  The tax payers will be left holding the bag on the environmental cleanup and disaster mitigation for the fishery that will be impacted.  It is not a matter of if, but when.

I am reminded of BNSF's push to install a high-speed refueling station over the Rathdrum Prairie Aquifer, Spokane sole source of drinking water.  It won't leak, they said. Trust us, they said.  That place was leaking diesel into the aquifer before it even opened.   :bash:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 12:00:02 PM »
It keeps getting worse, corruption does no good for our environment. If this mine is put in, essentially a mine can be put anywhere in the US; scary.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/US-Army-Corps-of-Engineers-completes-preliminary-EIS-for-proposed-Alaska-Pebble-Mine-project-567770511.html

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/taryn-kiekow-heimer/pebble-mine-army-corps-rushes-out-another-flawed-review

Agreed. There was talk of a copper mine to be started near the southern border of Chewuch Unit (218) that seemed to fizzle out but now I am worried that is going to happen. Open pit mine I think

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2020, 11:45:31 AM »
It keeps getting worse, corruption does no good for our environment. If this mine is put in, essentially a mine can be put anywhere in the US; scary.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/US-Army-Corps-of-Engineers-completes-preliminary-EIS-for-proposed-Alaska-Pebble-Mine-project-567770511.html

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/taryn-kiekow-heimer/pebble-mine-army-corps-rushes-out-another-flawed-review

Agreed. There was talk of a copper mine to be started near the southern border of Chewuch Unit (218) that seemed to fizzle out but now I am worried that is going to happen. Open pit mine I think

The future of Bristol Bay and its fisheries are not looking good

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/joel-reynolds/pebble-mine-going-broke
https://www.adn.com/opinions/2020/04/12/rushing-pebble-mine-review-during-a-pandemic-is-reckless/

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 10:19:36 PM »
With the virus and the economy in shambles, I don't see Trump being president come January, and I think the republicans are going to take a bath as a whole. If it goes that way, hopefully this will be put to death forever. If I recall correctly, it isn't even an American company, is it? Isn't this destroying one of our greatest treasures for the profit of a Canadian company?

Offline boatloader

• Hunter
    • Matt Kanarr
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 01:10:01 AM »
With the virus and the economy in shambles, I don't see Trump being president come January, and I think the republicans are going to take a bath as a whole. If it goes that way, hopefully this will be put to death forever. If I recall correctly, it isn't even an American company, is it? Isn't this destroying one of our greatest treasures for the profit of a Canadian company?
So you think Quid Pro Joe the kiddie sniffer is gonna win?

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 07:43:59 AM »
I’m going to have to disagree with the Trump portion.. but i could see the Republican Party losing out as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »

The future of Bristol Bay and its fisheries are not looking good

https://www.nrdc.org/experts/joel-reynolds/pebble-mine-going-broke
https://www.adn.com/opinions/2020/04/12/rushing-pebble-mine-review-during-a-pandemic-is-reckless/

No better time to move this forward then when no one is paying attention. If this push is successful it'll be a tragedy at best. These kinds of efforts with total disregard for environmental health, and against all public will are why the Repub party struggle to win my votes. I'm aligned in many ways to the values, in others we are so far apart it is not even close. Besides the incredible lobbying efforts behind this, I've never heard a coherent argument as to why this should move forward.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal