collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trumps EPA says NO to Pebble Mine  (Read 24287 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Trumps EPA says NO to Pebble Mine
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2020, 10:37:15 AM »
I hope this doesn't go through.  I'm sure it would be more devastating than damming the mighty Elwah.  Doesn't help that the POTUS choice to  head the EPA was a fossil fuel lobbyist.

Totally, I would never bet on Trump doing the right thing for the environment over completing industry interests.

Unfortunately.  This is my only complaint with this administration.  :(

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2020, 08:17:01 AM »
Good news!
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/joel-reynolds/morgan-stanley-dumps-pebble-mine-northern-dynasty

"Once the fourth largest institutional shareholder in Northern Dynasty, Morgan Stanley moved in this report to 57th on the list of all shareholders, reducing its position from 3,479,137 shares to just 29,749 shares."

"Similarly, questions about the financial viability of the project have gone unanswered despite repeated inquiries from Congress, Alaskans, the media, and others. Former Rio Tinto environment and permitting chief Richard Borden estimated, for example, based on his independent economic analysis, that the project as proposed would lose $3 billion and is almost certainly financially infeasible.

Northern Dynasty has adamantly refused to disclose any analysis of the scheme’s projected costs and revenue, presumably because a negative financial assessment would deter—not attract—new investors. And the cash-strapped 100 percent owner’s desperate hope—its “business plan—is that the issuance of a permit by the Army Corps will attract new investment, a new partner, or a buy-out, leaving the Pebble Mine’s future to some yet-to-be-determined company allegedly “waiting in the wings.” "

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »
That is good news even if it is only the money that's causing it.

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2020, 06:45:44 AM »
https://www.nationalfisherman.com/alaska/alaska-salmon-bristol-bay-opens-with-pebble-mine-decision-pending

"In 2014, the EPA ruled that a large-scale mine like Pebble would be “devastating” to the world’s biggest salmon run and to the region’s culture, and special protections were provided under the Clean Water Act.

The Trump administration removed the protections in 2019, saying the move “pre-empted the permitting process.” It also got a big push from Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy, who has made no secret about his support for Pebble. Alaska’s senators and representative supported Trump’s move.

But D.C. can now step aside. The state of Alaska will make the final decision on the mine.

The Pebble applicants do not own the surface rights associated with the mineral claims, and all the lands are owned by the state. Notably, the claim(s) lies within the 36,000 square-mile Bristol Bay Fisheries Reserve, created by voter initiative (70 percent) in 1972 as a way to safeguard salmon from large scale oil, gas and mining projects.

State law requires that the final say on permitting Pebble falls to the Alaska Legislature."

Alaska passed an initiative to specifically stop this...yet here we are.

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2020, 06:16:41 AM »
http://www.thedutchharborfisherman.com/article/2027bristol_bay_braces_for_pebble_mine_decision

"The "Pebble deposit" lies within a 417-square-mile claim block and will include an open pit, a 550-foot high tailings dam to hold roughly 30 billion cubic feet of mining wastes forever, overburden stockpiles, quarry sites, water management ponds, milling and processing facilities, a 188-mile natural gas pipeline from the Kenai Peninsula to the site, a power plant, water treatment plants, camp and storage facilities, and an 83-mile road along Lake Iliamna to haul the gold and copper to Diamond Point in Cook Inlet for shipment. (Based on a new "northern route" plan that Pebble opted for a few weeks ago.)"

"In 2014, the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that a large-scale mine like Pebble would be "devastating" to the world's biggest salmon run and to the region's culture, and special protections were provided under the Clean Water Act.

The Trump Administration abruptly removed the protections in 2017, saying the move "pre-empted the permitting process." It also got a big push from Governor Mike Dunleavy who has made no secrets about his support for Pebble. Alaska's Senators and Congressman supported Trump's move.

But Washington, D.C., can now step aside. The state of Alaska will make the final decision on the mine.

The Pebble applicants do not own the surface rights associated with the mineral claims and all the lands are owned by the state.

Notably, the claim(s) lies within the 36,000 square-mile Bristol Bay Fisheries Reserve, created by voter initiative (70%) in 1972 as a way to safeguard salmon from large-scale oil, gas and mining projects.

State law requires that the final say on permitting Pebble falls to the Alaska legislature."

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2020, 06:47:01 AM »
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/joel-reynolds/pebble-mine-tom-collier-and-125-million-pieces-silver

This letter from Bristol Bay Native Corporation to Tom Collier (CEO of Pebble Mine) is a good read. https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/bristol-bay-response-to-bbnc_plp-letters-jan-23-2019.pdf.

Details well the issues between the mine and everyone else that opposes the mine:

2. Failure to provide economic feasibility analysis
3. Disregard for objections to accelerated permit schedule
4. Failure to disclose personal financial interest
5. Pattern of false of misleading statements
6. Mischaracterization of EPA Review Requested by Bristol Bay Residents
7. Disregard of Broad Consensus that Pebble is the “Wrong Mine in the Wrong Place”
8. Inconsistency of Current and Future Mine Plans with Regional Concerns
9. Unacceptable Vision for the Future of Bristol Bay Region

Screw the american voters right? Alaska state law approved by voters in 1972 requires that the final say on permitting within the Bristol Bay Fisheries Reserve goes to the Alaska Legislature...except for this mine apparently

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2020, 03:17:46 PM »
Trump just spoke about the Pebble mine in his press conference I'm watching.

It's not a done deal, not by far. 

Don Jr. earlier tweeted asking for President to block it. 

Trump mentions he listens to his sons advice on these matters
2:07:38
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:24:37 PM by KFhunter »

Offline wags

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2020, 10:07:21 PM »
I'm a Bristol Bay commercial fisherman and I hope the mine is developed. I think it can be done in a way that is compatible with fish and wildlife.

I have the convenience of going to the region to earn part of my living. However the vast majority of the people who live in the region are essentially welfare cases; not because they want to be, but because there are no real jobs in the region. A large mine in the area will provide real, high paying jobs for years to come.

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2020, 08:11:54 AM »
I'm a Bristol Bay commercial fisherman and I hope the mine is developed. I think it can be done in a way that is compatible with fish and wildlife.

I have the convenience of going to the region to earn part of my living. However the vast majority of the people who live in the region are essentially welfare cases; not because they want to be, but because there are no real jobs in the region. A large mine in the area will provide real, high paying jobs for years to come.

Please elaborate on how this mine can be compatible with fish and wildlife? Every study done for the past 10 years says the opposite of you.

Ruining the environment and the world largest salmon run for a couple bucks in not worth it; there have been laws to prevent this exact thing from happening. In 2014, the Environmental Protection Agency ruled that a large-scale mine like Pebble would be "devastating" to the world's biggest salmon run and to the region's culture, and special protections were provided under the Clean Water Act

Notably, the claim(s) lies within the 36,000 square-mile Bristol Bay Fisheries Reserve, created by voter initiative (70%) in 1972 as a way to safeguard salmon from large-scale oil, gas and mining projects. State law requires that the final say on permitting Pebble falls to the Alaska legislature.

But screw the 70% Alaskan voters who dont want this right?

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »
When I was fishing in AK last year I heard nothing but bad news about the mine
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2020, 10:10:47 AM »

You think it can, or it has been (theoretically) proven that it can? And what if it turns out that it can't? Too late...

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2020, 02:18:18 PM »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2020, 02:59:55 PM »

Thanks for stepping up and having the courage to speak your opinion on it,  we only ever hear one side!

Offline nwmein199

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2020, 09:29:59 AM »
Lets hope this puts an end to the Pebble Mine. Finally.

Weird...same determination from 2014...https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-withdraws-outdated-preemptive-proposed-determination-restrict-use-pebble-deposit

http://www.savebristolbay.org/bloghost/2020/8/24/army-corps-says-proposed-pebble-mine-project-cannot-be-permitted

https://www.army.mil/article/238426

"...would likely result in significant degradation of the environment and would likely result in significant adverse effects on the aquatic system or human environment. This finding is based on factual determinations, evaluations, and tests required by subparts (b) and (g), and after consideration of subparts (c) through (f) and (h) of the 404 (b)(1) guidelines. This record is laid out in the environmental impact statement published on July 24, 2020.

Therefore, the Corps finds that the project, as currently proposed, cannot be permitted under section 404 of the Clean Water Act."

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2020, 10:35:35 PM »
Yay!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal