collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dog training lessons by the hour  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
Dog training lessons by the hour
« on: February 01, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »
I talked to Jim Cochran at the sportsman's  show about some of the problems I have with my Britt. He said he offers by the hour lessons for $50. Any body use him and what do you think about his training methods?
I live in N. Bothell so he close and convenient to me.

thank You

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Dog training lessons by the hour
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 09:35:17 AM »
Not sure if that is a good price or not.  I met Gary Abbott and I think he is about $600 a month.  He owns Nomadic Retrievers.
nomadicretrievers.net.  He sounded like he know's what he is doing and been at it a long time.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Colin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
Is Gary in town right now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
Seems to me $50 an hour is reasonable. IDK how much you can get out of it unless you consistently do it weekly and are training a few times a week on your own. May be different from a pointer perspective though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Bwana Bob

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 01:13:33 PM »
Thanks guys. I was trying to see what you thought of him as a trainer. My dog is 4 yr old and has 3 seasons under her belt. I need to work on her week spots like busting chukar if she see them running in front of her. My collar went down one weekend and she busted at least 8 coveys of them  not to mention she blew me off as to come and Whoa. She does a decent job on quail. I have some bird releases and can work on the stuff he teaches me. Was going to run her on some wild birds but the weather even in E. WA sucks. 

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 04:13:20 PM »
Thanks guys. I was trying to see what you thought of him as a trainer. My dog is 4 yr old and has 3 seasons under her belt. I need to work on her week spots like busting chukar if she see them running in front of her. My collar went down one weekend and she busted at least 8 coveys of them  not to mention she blew me off as to come and Whoa. She does a decent job on quail. I have some bird releases and can work on the stuff he teaches me. Was going to run her on some wild birds but the weather even in E. WA sucks.
Jim is probably one of the Most skilled pointing dog trainers in Washington. He is a tough guy to get ahold of especially when he is on the trial circuit.

Richard with tuxedo kennels does hourly as well but he is further south and then there is RJ Marquart in Moses lake that is also a top notch pointing dog trainer.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
Re: Dog taring lessons by the hour
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
If you can get Jim for $50.00 an hour including birds. That would be money well spent. 
It sounds to me that you have a collar wise dog and you need to go back to the basics of training without a collar.  That is the problem of training from the beginning with a collar on.  You only have one that listens when it is on.
Collars are a great tool to use for proofing after your dog has been taught through corrections, praise and repetition.  One should have a verbal, visual and
 possible whistle command before ever putting a collar on and it should only then be used for recalls in the beginning stages of use..

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 08:36:09 PM »
For somebody running e legitimate business and earning a living, $50/hr is reasonable

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 10:52:56 PM »
Usually you pay for a workout. I'd expect you need at least 4 hours a week for 6 months to get results.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal