collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer RUNAWAYS!  (Read 4768 times)

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
Deer RUNAWAYS!
« on: February 04, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »
Who has had that deer get up run away right when your about to claim him.

I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Scuffy

• Tracker
Re: Deer RUNAWAYS!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »
The only deer I’ve never recovered was a similar scenario. I dropped him in his tracks and was celebrating. I started to walk towards him as he laid still on the ground. My dad told me to stop and make sure he didn’t get back up. I said, “he’s down and not moving, he’s out.” As I got up to him, he popped up and took off through the thick stuff. I followed basketball sized puddles of blood every 4 feet until the blood trail disappeared after a 1/3 of a mile. We decided to wait for him to settle down, but it started snowing and I spent the next two days blindly searching for him before I gave up. Sickest feeling in the world, but a lesson I will never forget.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:34:14 PM »
Probably because no Hunter orange.. Had it happen to a spike elk
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:42:41 PM »
Watched my partner drop a blacktail doe in her tracks, walk right up to her, and have her bound away.   

Also saw a guy drop a 6x6 bull elk with his muzzleloader, run over to without reloading, and have it run off. No recovery. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline robescc

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 10:07:18 PM »
I shot a blacktail doe on Whidbey Island one time with a 12 gauge slug. Dropped her like a ton of bricks. I walked over, took off my pack and got my knife out. I couldn't find a hole anywhere when I looked her over. I rolled her onto her back and tucked the right back leg between my legs. As soon as I started to to make the slit in the hide between her legs, she came alive kicking and kicked me right in the giblets. I somehow recovered fairly quickly and grabbed my shotgun and put one behind the ear. When my cousin got to me we were both laughing so hard it took a few minutes to start on her again.
When I originally shot her, I was trying for a head shot at about 20 yards as she was looking over her back at me. I somehow missed her head and grazed the top of her back. It must have been a hard enough hit to paralyze her for a few minutes.
I hunt therefore I am.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 08:38:33 AM »
I grabbed a hold of one that got up.  They're stronger than they look.  :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:28:38 AM »

Ditto that!  They are QUICK and strong!

A heavy bodied alpine mule deer buck jumped up and attacked me when I grabbed his antler to position him better for gutting.  I dropped the knife in my other hand and grabbed the bases of both antlers as he lunged at me.  Fortunately, his antlers were wide enough to pass on each side of my body and I absorbed the lunge with my forearms and the top of his head butting into my belly.  I would step backward as I absorbed each lunge.

My 12 year old son was with me and I yelled for him to get my rifle that I had laid on the ground, but not to shoot.  I knew that if I fell I would be in deep trouble.  Also fortunately, his hind legs were mostly dragging due to my shot that had dropped him.  By the time I had stumble-ran backward 30-40 feet the buck tired some.  I was able to “bulldog” him down like a steer wrestler, then jumped away, grabbed my rifle and shot him under his ear.

My son now has sons of his own, and he has a wildly embellished version of this event, but for those on here who may know him, don't believe him. :)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:29:41 AM »
I shot a blacktail doe on Whidbey Island one time with a 12 gauge slug. Dropped her like a ton of bricks. I walked over, took off my pack and got my knife out. I couldn't find a hole anywhere when I looked her over. I rolled her onto her back and tucked the right back leg between my legs. As soon as I started to to make the slit in the hide between her legs, she came alive kicking and kicked me right in the giblets. I somehow recovered fairly quickly and grabbed my shotgun and put one behind the ear. When my cousin got to me we were both laughing so hard it took a few minutes to start on her again.
When I originally shot her, I was trying for a head shot at about 20 yards as she was looking over her back at me. I somehow missed her head and grazed the top of her back. It must have been a hard enough hit to paralyze her for a few minutes.
I spit out my coffee!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
I have watched this happen a few times with whitetail, none got away from us too far but it will happen.  My dad shot a button buck walking one year in Illinois.  I grabbed it to help field dress it.  Grabbed the deer after I gave it a nudge with my boot, tongue out (no reaction), cut a slit for the tag in the hind leg (no reaction), dad tagged it (no reaction), first cut on the body and I was getting the crap clubbed out of me.  He tired out real quick and dad put him down but man I swore he was dead.  Still made me jumpy on the first one I dressed this year.  We had another guy stick his deer in the throat after a head shot, that buck cleared his shoulder and ran 200 yards with a Buck 119 in his throat. 

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »

Ditto that!  They are QUICK and strong!

A heavy bodied alpine mule deer buck jumped up and attacked me when I grabbed his antler to position him better for gutting.  I dropped the knife in my other hand and grabbed the bases of both antlers as he lunged at me.  Fortunately, his antlers were wide enough to pass on each side of my body and I absorbed the lunge with my forearms and the top of his head butting into my belly.  I would step backward as I absorbed each lunge.

My 12 year old son was with me and I yelled for him to get my rifle that I had laid on the ground, but not to shoot.  I knew that if I fell I would be in deep trouble.  Also fortunately, his hind legs were mostly dragging due to my shot that had dropped him.  By the time I had stumble-ran backward 30-40 feet the buck tired some.  I was able to “bulldog” him down like a steer wrestler, then jumped away, grabbed my rifle and shot him under his ear.

My son now has sons of his own, and he has a wildly embellished version of this event, but for those on here who may know him, don't believe him. :)

I’d kind of like to hear their imbelished vereion. The mental picture I formed reading this was pretty wild. I’m curious how much crazier it could get.

Great experience to laugh about for the rest of your life. :)

Offline JKEEN33

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 12:07:12 PM »
I’d been working a turkey for about an hour when he finally came in with a hen. I waited for a clear shot on just him and finally got one. Dropped him flat and he didn’t do the usual flopping around. I ran over to grab him and as I got close he got up and ran off. Of course the shotgun was back where I was sitting when I shot. Gotta love these “learning” situations.

Offline shmacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »
I’d been working a turkey for about an hour when he finally came in with a hen. I waited for a clear shot on just him and finally got one. Dropped him flat and he didn’t do the usual flopping around. I ran over to grab him and as I got close he got up and ran off. Of course the shotgun was back where I was sitting when I shot. Gotta love these “learning” situations.

Rinella talked about this in his last podcast, how a flopping turkey is a dead turkey, but one that drops right over will probably need a follow up shot.  Good learning experience!

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2018, 09:48:46 PM »
That would suck.  Always be ready for it though.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 11:52:01 PM »
Dang that sucker was GONE! Any word on whether they were able to track it down?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 05:40:46 AM »
Crazy stories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]