collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Deer RUNAWAYS!  (Read 4778 times)

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
Re: Deer RUNAWAYS!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »
  :yeah: entertaining reading this morning!
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 08:43:24 AM »
I've read these kind of stories.
They've made me nervous when I approach a downed animal. Especially, the stories where a guy gets kicked in the jewels.
Last years deer took a quartered away arrow at 30 yards-. It was a solid pass through hit and the deer went down after about 15 steps.
I waited about fifteen minutes and walked over to the rock strewn, dry stream bed and gave it a couple good pokes in the back with my bow.
I decided to move it a few yards to a better spot for dressing it out and grabbed its ears and started pulling it over.
Well, the way it had fallen on those rocks and the position of its body must have trapped some air in its lungs because as soon as I lifted it a little it made a kind of bleating sound.
I must have jump back five foot.
Woo! As if the adrenaline from the stalk and kill weren't enough I got a bonus rush from that.

So, no jumping up and running, no kicks to the jimmy.
Nothing but a post-humus bleat that got a heck of a reaction outta me.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 07:53:02 PM »
Long story but will make it very short. 
Anybody on here get semi gored by a deer they thought was dead?

Lost a decent bucks blood trail after 8 hours tracking during late archery. Several other hunters were involved in the tracking after I lost it. One of which ended up thinking he would finish off the deer by hand thrusting an arrow into its vitals/heart area. The buck jumped up, hit the guy in the back with its antlers, tearing through several layers of clothing and putting a large scratch on the hunters back. It worked and he killed the buck.

This is the story I got from the guy I started the hunt with that morning, he happened across the buck again late in the day and watched it all go down.

That buck still haunts me.....years later.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 09:41:01 PM »
About ten years back I helped my father in law track a nice little three point that he made a less than perfect shot on with his bow. He came back to camp and got me after he lost the trail a couple hours and a good mile after the shot. I was able to pick up the blood trail and follow it along until I came upon the down and presumed dead buck. The deer was facing away from me, head on the ground, and like an idiot I stepped over the deer to get a good look. That deer came up so fast and completely upended me putting a nice gash on the calf of my leg. I assume it was a tine that got me but it could have been a hoof it all happened so fast. The deer only went about ten yards and went down and my father in law was able to finish it after he stopped laughing. I still get teased about that one.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2018, 04:02:06 AM »
3 years ago, hunting muzzleloader season out by asotin.  3 of us, my dad, his buddy and myself managed to sneak within 50 yards of 2 bucks.  one was an obvious 2 point, the other looked like a 3 point but i couldn't quite tell(i had the shakes).  just when i had convinced myself he was a shooter, BOOM off to the side of me, my dad's friend lets him have it with his .54 cal hawken.  the buck dropped where he stood, stone dead(or at least it appeared).  we did a little bit of celebrating, but it was short lived.  i hear my dad's friend all of a sudden yell, "shoot him, he's still alive!", the deer got up and pushed himself over an old fence and took off down the draw.

he was so sure that he had killed him that he forgot that cardinal rule of muzzleloader hunting, always reload!  i threw up my rifle and squeezed the trigger, and found that i had screwed up too, and put my secondary safety(striker block) on my knight bighorn.  i frantically pulled back the striker and unscrewed the safety, and let one rip just as he went around the corner, and heard the bullet ricochet harmlessly off the rocks.  my dad had also taken a shot...and his gun misfired(i keep telling him pellets suck...).

we searched the whole draw for hours, and found no blood, no hair, nothing. came back there the next day with no better luck. a real heartbreaker, but lessons were learned.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Come Get Some

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2018, 07:17:38 AM »
On my wife and I's first hunt on the east side for mule deer years ago and large heard of deer was crossing the road and went up the hill into the timber and sage brush. We drove to the top of the hill where I got out and ran across an open sagebrush area , My wife drove back down and followed the deer into the timber. I saw them coming a few hundred yards away and set up on the other side of the draw they were going to cross. They came up within a few feet of me and started bunching up all around me. A real nice 160 In 4 point stopped at 70 yards looking at all of the deer around me, I drew and drilled him. Everybody scattered. I watched him run and pile up down hill. ( straight at the truck about a mile away.) I slowly walked towards him, When I got there he had grown, always a good surprise. I set my bow down to roll him over when he jumped to his feet and ran over the hill. I knocked an arrow and ran to the edge. He was standing about 50 yds downhill. I drew and sent a 560 gr arrow thru his vitals again. He ran down hill and piled up again and closer to the truck. My yelled"dont shoot" She had seen him run over the hill not knowing that I had shot him. She was starting to stalk him when she heard my bow go off. Not sure who it was or what had happened. Needless to say, we got him and he was bigger than expected

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal