collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 86 pages of pure heaven  (Read 2373 times)

Offline BPturkeys

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
86 pages of pure heaven
« on: February 10, 2018, 10:43:49 AM »
Every year about this time, as the days start to lengthen and an occasional South breeze brings in an olfactoric hint of spring, the best possible thing that could happen, happens. The spring turkey hunting catalogs start to arrive in the mail. This year the first to arrive was the beauty from Midwest. I ‘ve had mine now for a couple of days and I just can’t leave my hands off the darn thing…86 pages of pure heaven.
Over the years I’ve watched as new gear and gadgets are presented for my approval and I must admit, I am as big a sucker for something new as the next guy. In past years I’ve bought some of the best and some of the worst turkey hunting aids you can imagine. I once bought an umbrella thing that fastened to a tree, supposed to serve as a combination rain cover and camo blind. I carried it for two years, it never came out if it’s perfectly camouflaged carry case. Several comfy cushions hang on a peg in my hunting room, boxes of books and tapes adorn my shelves, and calls… too may to count. In more recent years my investments have included a vest that had so many pockets I surely couldn’t fill them all...but guess what, I was wrong. I will admit, that baby could haul the stuff. By the time I was through filling those pockets the dam* thing weighed just slightly under twenty six pounds. One of my favorite buys was the “Bobbin’n Head Pair” of decoys. A hen and a tom, his head a “bobb’n” and his wings dropped… and her, layin down low, kind of a smirk on her face, and guess what they were adoin...you know...the nasty. These decoys were so effective they should be against the law. When I set mine up for the first time I was so engrossed with the action that I failed to notice the two big Toms and a Jake that had snuck in behind me just to take in the show. I haven’t had the nerve to set them up again.
This year is going to be different. I have promised myself no more gadgets, no more silly stuff that I know deep in my heart are just scams, nope, I am settling for a new call and that’s it! Now that may sound simple enough at first glance, but alas, the choices are many. What type of call…a box, a slate, yelper, gobbler, locator, scratch box…what to buy? A quick count from the catalog gave me these numbers: 55 traditional box calls, 81 friction calls, 10 wingbone yelper type, 16 scratch box calls, 7 push button yelpers, 11 snuff tubes, 5 gobbler, and an amazing 156 diaphragm calls. But with names like “Little Big Mouth Enticer”, “Beggin Hen”, “Widow Maker”, “Flock Buster”, “Head Hunter”, and “SS Shorty” (now there’s a name you hope your wife never calls you) and “Preston’s Sweet & Nasty”, I was starting to feel a little woozy from all the possibilities. But if years of turkey hunting has taught me anything, it has taught me to be patient. I narrowed the field, I re-read the descriptions and studied the pictures close, and at last, I’ve made my choice. This year for me, it’s a little sweety, sure to bring ‘um in, called… “Lucky Clucker”. At $18.95, I can’t go wrong. Comes complete with it’s own carrying pouch. Well, the order has been sent and I’m feeling pretty good about myself right now, sitting here, dreaming and waiting for that warm spring day when me and my new “Lucky Clucker” drift off into slumber under a big pine tree in the turkey woods. dam*, I love this time of year.

Copyrights 2005, BPturkeys

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: 86 pages of pure heaven
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:34:05 PM »
My favorite time of the year! No new calls for me this year maybe 1 more box of shells before season hits as long as the box I have patterns great out of the 20 if not then it’s an Indian Creek choke tube for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 10:19:57 PM »
Turkey season.
The bane of my hunting existence. I am the worst turkey hunter around.
I have spent a week for I don’t know how many years trying to kill one in the traditional way on public land.

I have hunted turkeys from Colville to Asotin.  One of my buddies was so confident we wouldn’t kill a bird that he would book hunts with Dale right after our week together.
And he got birds,another buddy last year bought two tags before going over and I teased him the whole eight hour drive.
Than I heard a shot one day I knew it was him. Two 22 lbs birds one shot.

I called in a Tom one year to 30 yards and missed him.
I found a roost tree in Asotin staked it out all day only to have my buddy stand up when the birds were coming in.

I have had hens at my feet pecking and clucking set still for hours and have the patience of a clam.

But I can’t connect. I can find birds every place I go. But cannot make the kill.

My buddy who booked gave it up because he got his birds.
I gave it up the past three years swore I would not go,only to have one of buddies show up and talk me into it.
I know guys who get them every year by driving roads and bush wacking them.
Not my style.

I hunted them on foot,bikes,. In the rain,snow,wind,sunshine. I called in cougars,skunks,yotes,elk,moose,white tails and woodpeckers.
I been soaked in rain storms and fallen asleep with a fire between my legs and my pants on fire.

I called in toms behind me,next to me and around me but always the bride’s maid never the bride.
I am on my third shogun for turkeys ,have set in ground blinds four hours.

I found a roost tree in colville with four hot toms, got in before light and cut myself into a down fall tree,locked in one direction only to have the bird come in behind me.

I have the breeding bobble head decoys along with a half dozen others. We put the breedersin front of our tent now to entertain the passerby’s.

I and a buddy got stuck up alogging road in Sherman creek and spent the night in his truck in the mud.

I have enough call to outfit my entire group of friends. I hunt dark till dark but I cannot kill a bird on public land. I received my Midwest Turkey Call Supply mag today.
Thumbing through for that one piece of luck changer gear.

I told my wife last week I give up ,seven hunting partners, trailer full of gear, I am not going this year.

Three days later two buddies stopped in, “let’s go turkey hunting “they said

Ok :bash:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 10:28:38 PM by ghosthunter »
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 10:46:02 PM »
Hey Bobby. It’s a fun camp even if you don’t kill a turkey. You guys always seem to be having a good time when we’ve run into you.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 05:15:19 AM »
I know it is that time of year when people start calling me for clinics Asics starting the setup for our banquet in March.  I havent looked at anything new because I am getting on a plane to Nashville on Wednesday for the NWFT National Conventional.  I am sure there will be all kinds of neat gagdgets there to buy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:16 AM »
Hey Bobby. It’s a fun camp even if you don’t kill a turkey. You guys always seem to be having a good time when we’ve run into you.

Yeah
We always have a good time. And without adult drinks too.
I thinks that’s why one of the guys or two always want to go.
It’s always better than work. :tup:

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
Turkey season.
The bane of my hunting existence. I am the worst turkey hunter around.
I have spent a week for I don’t know how many years trying to kill one in the traditional way on public land.

I have hunted turkeys from Colville to Asotin.  One of my buddies was so confident we wouldn’t kill a bird that he would book hunts with Dale right after our week together.
And he got birds,another buddy last year bought two tags before going over and I teased him the whole eight hour drive.
Than I heard a shot one day I knew it was him. Two 22 lbs birds one shot.

I called in a Tom one year to 30 yards and missed him.
I found a roost tree in Asotin staked it out all day only to have my buddy stand up when the birds were coming in.

I have had hens at my feet pecking and clucking set still for hours and have the patience of a clam.

But I can’t connect. I can find birds every place I go. But cannot make the kill.

My buddy who booked gave it up because he got his birds.
I gave it up the past three years swore I would not go,only to have one of buddies show up and talk me into it.
I know guys who get them every year by driving roads and bush wacking them.
Not my style.

I hunted them on foot,bikes,. In the rain,snow,wind,sunshine. I called in cougars,skunks,yotes,elk,moose,white tails and woodpeckers.
I been soaked in rain storms and fallen asleep with a fire between my legs and my pants on fire.

I called in toms behind me,next to me and around me but always the bride’s maid never the bride.
I am on my third shogun for turkeys ,have set in ground blinds four hours.

I found a roost tree in colville with four hot toms, got in before light and cut myself into a down fall tree,locked in one direction only to have the bird come in behind me.

I have the breeding bobble head decoys along with a half dozen others. We put the breedersin front of our tent now to entertain the passerby’s.

I and a buddy got stuck up alogging road in Sherman creek and spent the night in his truck in the mud.

I have enough call to outfit my entire group of friends. I hunt dark till dark but I cannot kill a bird on public land. I received my Midwest Turkey Call Supply mag today.
Thumbing through for that one piece of luck changer gear.

I told my wife last week I give up ,seven hunting partners, trailer full of gear, I am not going this year.

Three days later two buddies stopped in, “let’s go turkey hunting “they said

Ok :bash:
What does your pattern look like Ghost? If you have a killing pattern you should be good unless you get the shakes to bad.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:35:22 PM »
It’s not my pattern. One might have been too close.
I pattern my guns every year weeks before the season.

It just me.

Turkeys have a bubble around them. I just can’t get past.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 12:11:08 PM »
Ahh ok lol
Well good luck

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal