collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Unloading your muzzleloader each day during season  (Read 5765 times)

Offline bod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Unloading your muzzleloader each day during season
« on: February 10, 2018, 10:48:07 AM »
For those of you hunt during damp or raining conditions do you unload your muzzleloader each evening, does the type of powder make a difference?

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
Re: Unloading your muzzleloader each day during season
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 11:21:59 AM »
When I hunted muzzie, I did every evening except one.

Next morning I parked off on a side road for lunch and to overlook a big draw.  Noticed a two-point bedded about 40-50 yards down hill from a very rough and rocky road.

No way to approach unless on hands & knees down that very rocky road.  Made the very painfull approach which was about 60-70 yards down the road.

Got just above the buck, capped-up, squeezed the trigger and "pop," no bang!!

Hands & knees back up the road, pull bullet and dig out bad powder, fire three more caps before finally get the rest of the powder clear, then recharge and back down the road on hands & knees.  He was still there so I got him, and can honestly say I never worked or suffered so much for a deer before or after!

Also, this was during the early season, so warm, dry conditions with no westside rain, the powder had drawn moisture from just sitting over night.  Never had had a missfire other than that one time, and always fired the rifle at the end of the day after that.

This was with real blackpowder, not sure if the more modern stuff would be the same or better...
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 11:42:26 AM »
For those of you hunt during damp or raining conditions do you unload your muzzleloader each evening, does the type of powder make a difference?

I use to but I know longer do.  I have found if I take the right precautions I really do not need to... + I violate a few old practiced  ML rules along the way in how I treat the rifle after a days hunt...

Now in the next breath - if for some reason I think my load may have been compromised due to weather - then yes I pull the BP and push the load out.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline bod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
I'm asking this in trying to determine which ML to get.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 01:22:46 PM »
I shoot it off in the evening.  Then quick clean it.  Before loading in the morning, I put a leaf on the end and fire just a cap.  Then clean the nipple and load up for the day.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »
I'm asking this in trying to determine which ML to get.

I am shooting a variety of different Knight rifles but in reality, I really do not think it makes much difference which muzzleloader you are using if you learn the different methods of protections and practices.

I often go 10 -15 days with the same load in the rifle - granted I do not have the weather conditions you guys on the west side have but we do have our share of rotten days here in no. Idaho also...

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 04:56:41 PM »

(Inlines) I shoot the load every evening (away from where we hunt), then reload in the early morning. Doesn't matter what powder I use.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »

You might read through this this testing process that I tried several years ago...

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/375124-loaded-28-days-did-go-boom-today.html

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-reference-forum/394016-conclusion-nother-weather-test.html

https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/173875-conclusion-nother-weather-test.html
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:14:43 PM by Sabotloader »

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 06:42:08 PM »
I never unload during season. I shoot a Knight Bighorn and have hunted for days on end in downpours with no issues.

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »
I’ve hunted with a couple Thompson Center’s for the last twenty plus years and I never unload and leave mine loaded all season. I hunted in rain before and a very wet couple days in Oregon once and never had a problem and it fired perfectly when I got my chance. 
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 12:00:59 AM »
Long as you stay away from Jim Shockey's Gold you should be all good leaving it be.

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 05:21:18 AM »
I never unload during season. I shoot a Knight Bighorn and have hunted for days on end in downpours with no issues.

OK - I'll bite!
What's your M.O? What are you protecting/weather-proofing that gun with? What's over your muzzle and action? Downpours are a completely different animal than light rains.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 06:59:58 AM »
I haven't ever felt the need to use anything to waterproof. I don't pack my muzzy on my shoulder with the barrel in the air. Its usually pointed down or at least a little below being level. When its real bad out I might protect the nipple area a little by covering it with my carrying hand or tuck it back under my arm a little covering it with my coat sleeve. Think about how tight a saboted bullet goes down your barrel. They conform to the inside of your barrel making a very efficient seal against the elements. Same with the cap. I use RWS #11 caps. They are a very tight fit and not very conducive to letting water in. I do change the caps on a daily basis. But have never had a cap failure or load failure when hunting in the rain and Ive killed a lot of elk and fired a lot of shots in inclement weather.

I'm more concerned about temp extremes causing condensation than the rain. Like hunting in bad, cold weather all day then bringing my muzzy in a hot house or tent etc. then back out to a cold environment. But honestly. I haven't had an issue with that either.

If a person is concerned about moisture intrusion put a piece of tape over the end of your barrel. Ive seen people put stuff over their breech to protect from the weather. But in Washington your breech is supposed to be exposed to the elements. Putting a cover over it isn't leaving it exposed. Ive just never seen the need to do these things.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 07:22:51 AM »
I wouldn't count on the sabot perfectly sealing the grooves in your barrel, they are designed to expand into them upon the shot. 

My ex hunted one day in wet snow and we had to squeegee the powder out of the gun. I don't remember if she was using roundball or sabot.  However, I will say there was no electrical tape over the barrel and she was, frankly stupid when it came to hunting and probably stuck the barrel into every blob of snow she could find....  :rolleyes:

I usually do not unload each day but also don't hunt in the nasty nasty crap that some people do....

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 07:54:08 AM »
Tape/ballon over barrel, transparent  tape over inline nipple, standard operating procedure.  Dont unload at camp.  Don’t leave loaded at home. Fresh caps all the time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]