collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Unloading your muzzleloader each day during season  (Read 5762 times)

Offline GoexBlackhorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Unloading your muzzleloader each day during season
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 07:55:42 AM »
I haven't ever felt the need to use anything to waterproof. I don't pack my muzzy on my shoulder with the barrel in the air. Its usually pointed down or at least a little below being level. When its real bad out I might protect the nipple area a little by covering it with my carrying hand or tuck it back under my arm a little covering it with my coat sleeve. Think about how tight a saboted bullet goes down your barrel. They conform to the inside of your barrel making a very efficient seal against the elements. Same with the cap. I use RWS #11 caps. They are a very tight fit and not very conducive to letting water in. I do change the caps on a daily basis. But have never had a cap failure or load failure when hunting in the rain and Ive killed a lot of elk and fired a lot of shots in inclement weather.

I'm more concerned about temp extremes causing condensation than the rain. Like hunting in bad, cold weather all day then bringing my muzzy in a hot house or tent etc. then back out to a cold environment. But honestly. I haven't had an issue with that either.

If a person is concerned about moisture intrusion put a piece of tape over the end of your barrel. Ive seen people put stuff over their breech to protect from the weather. But in Washington your breech is supposed to be exposed to the elements. Putting a cover over it isn't leaving it exposed. Ive just never seen the need to do these things.

I live an hour north of Toledo - use the best Dynamit Noble 1075 caps and suspect I use same/really similar blackpowder.

Our weather-tight inlines and non weather-tight sidelocks must stay dry when hunting 2-3 hours in downpours. Almost impossible to walk a 1/10th mile in the wet woods with gun, accessories pack and hunting seat - maybe even a flashlight also  and not get that gun wet, without artificial protection.

My original reply was reaction to a post that never mentions protection BTW. That's why I questioned the post without hesitation. 

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 08:01:35 AM »
I wouldn't count on the sabot perfectly sealing the grooves in your barrel, they are designed to expand into them upon the shot. 

You are correct - do not count on sabots and most conicals to seal the barrel

My ex hunted one day in wet snow and we had to squeegee the powder out of the gun. I don't remember if she was using roundball or sabot.  However, I will say there was no electrical tape over the barrel and she was, frankly stupid when it came to hunting and probably stuck the barrel into every blob of snow she could find....  :rolleyes:

I usually do not unload each day but also don't hunt in the nasty nasty crap that some people do....
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Online HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 08:46:07 AM »
I would never argue with Sabotloader as I'm sure he has more knowledge than the rest of us put together. I will say though that whenever I have pushed a load out of my barrel the sabot has noticeable rifling marks on the petals. I agree the base will expand into the grooves. Whether it forms a perfectly tight seal. I guess I cant say that Ive poured water down the barrel to see. But I will say that in over 20 years of muzzy hunting with Knight rifles, mostly Bighorns In any weather imaginable. From Upper 80s to below freezing, and snow, and pouring down rain I have never had a failure to fire. I'm very confident in the ignition of my loads no matter the weather!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:56:14 PM by HntnFsh »

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2018, 07:08:16 PM »
I would never argue with Sabotloader as I'm sure he has more knowledge than the rest of us put together. I will say though that whenever I have pushed a load out of my barrel the sabot has noticeable rifling marks on the petals. I agree the base will expand into the grooves. Whether it forms a perfectly tight seal. I guess I cant say that Ive poured water down the barrel to see. But I will say that in over 20 years of muzzy hunting with Knight rifles, mostly Bighorns In any weather imaginable. From Upper 80s to below freezing, and snow, and pouring down rain I have never had a failure to fire. I'm very confident in the ignition of my loads no matter the weather!

You are correct, they groove a bit upon loading, just not all the way or they would be a PITA to shove down the barrel, I would think.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2018, 07:33:12 PM »
I never unload during season. I shoot a Knight Bighorn and have hunted for days on end in downpours with no issues.
:yeah: never unload it either, if I am nevous I pull the nipple clean t put a could grains or do of fresh powder behind the nipple and off to the races, the only tie I had a no fire is the day I unloaded it and reloaded the next day and took a shot at a coyote and pop no buenno !! Last time I unloaded at night, never failed since !!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Online HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2018, 07:35:00 PM »

You are correct, they groove a bit upon loading, just not all the way or they would be a PITA to shove down the barrel, I would think.

They are! Barnes bullets are extremely hard to get down the barrel.

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »
I never believed that about muzzleoders, and thought that shooting it every day at the end of the day just didn't make sense?  I have hunted W was during modern deer season usually very wet and rainy left the muzz loaded all season.  Shoot at end of season and muzz goes boom without any issues.  Now I do usually put tape on the end of my barrel after loaded and use some sort of waterproofing method for my cap.  And again I have not had a miss fire due to weather.  The only time I have had a miss fire is because I did something wrong while cleaning.

Good Luck Buck

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2018, 09:04:42 PM »
I never unload, and never had a problem rain,  snow or BS (LOL). First of all I use cast lead and I wrap them in plastic wrap that seals some of the moisture, I also use a small cork in the barrel. Next on the nipple when using a RWS/R#10/CCI, I replace the nipple with a Uncle Mikes Hot Shot and when the cap is installed I use a drop of nail polish to seal the cap. I've never had a miss fire in 40 year of Muzzy hunting. Right now I have one TC hammer gun loaded from two years ago that I loaned to a fiend, it will fire when I put a new cap on it.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline bod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2018, 09:26:22 PM »
wow wadu1 great answer

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
I load mine on the first day of the hunt and it stays loaded until I shoot at an animal or the season ends.  Carry a safety pin on your jacket and ream the nipple every day before hunting.  I have never had a misfire or hangfire

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »
I use a TC Hawkins 50cal with FFF real black powder. I will hunt day to day with the same charge in the gun. I will never however set my hammer down (no cap on nipple) after being in the brush. the cup part of hammer will hold water and if you set the hammer down it will force water in the nipple. happy hunting, oh yeah keep your powder dry.

Offline Hart

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »
I hunt with a sidelock. I spent two weeks (off and on) hunting late season on the wetside, and left the rifle loaded the whole time. I was pretty careful to guard the muzzle and lock against the constant rain, but was unsure at the end of it all what would happen when I pulled the trigger.

When it finally came time, the gun went off perfectly. I feel a lot more confident about leaving it loaded after a rainy day after that. Funny enough, the only hangfire I have experienced hunting was on a sunny dry day.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]