collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie Questions: Kayaks and ducks  (Read 3194 times)

Offline CJ5K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Newbie Questions: Kayaks and ducks
« on: February 15, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to duck hunting, and hunting from a kayak in general, and I've got some questions I hope ya'll could help me out with.

The big one is... how do i find out where its legal for me to shoot ducks from a kayak? I can find some spots on google earth that i think would be fun to go, but I have no idea if you actually can paddle around and shoot from the kayak there, and other than looking up the county firearms discharge laws, i don't know where to start.

way less important questions:
- Does anyone have experience using a pump shotgun from a kayak? I don't think that it would be a big deal, but I don't know what I don't know.
- Some of the areas that I am thinking of hunting would be salt water, other than just cleaning the gun really well before and after trips, any tips on preventing corrosion?
- Do you have to anchor, or can you shoot while drifting?
-Any prohibition against things like Hobie's peddle driven system? I doubt there are, but again, I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks guys,
Chris

Online ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: Newbie Questions: Kayaks and ducks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
I started hunting from a yak this year. If the water is open to general waterfowl hunting , I think you are good to go.

I know of no game laws which address hunting from a yak. Hunting from a boat laws would apply.

I have a H12 Asend which is very stable and shooting from it is no problem. Most the time I am parked along the edge of a lake so no anchor needed.

There is no restriction on pedal drive I know of only on motors.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 11:39:17 AM »
Hey guys, I'm a newbie to duck hunting, and hunting from a kayak in general, and I've got some questions I hope ya'll could help me out with.

The big one is... how do i find out where its legal for me to shoot ducks from a kayak? I can find some spots on google earth that i think would be fun to go, but I have no idea if you actually can paddle around and shoot from the kayak there, and other than looking up the county firearms discharge laws, i don't know where to start.

way less important questions:
- Does anyone have experience using a pump shotgun from a kayak? I don't think that it would be a big deal, but I don't know what I don't know.  Not enough movement to make a difference.
- Some of the areas that I am thinking of hunting would be salt water, other than just cleaning the gun really well before and after trips, any tips on preventing corrosion? There are spray on coatings like RustGuardIt that will help.
- Do you have to anchor, or can you shoot while drifting? Depends what county you are in, I think Skagit is the only one that has an anchor/grounded requirement.
-Any prohibition against things like Hobie's peddle driven system? I doubt there are, but again, I don't know what I don't know. No, anything people powered is ok to shoot from while moving, other than in Skagit.

Thanks guys,
Chris

As far as your first question, you should be able to duck hunt anywhere from a kayak that you can legally hunt.

Offline CJ5K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 11:44:26 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply guys! As far as where to hunt goes, it sounds like any of the Wildlife areas that are open to hunt are good to go, as long as I'm obeying the individual restrictions (ex, union river you must use the public blinds)

Outside of those wildlife areas, how do you determine if the body of water is legal to hunt? Im looking specifically at the bay that the the grays harbor units are positioned around, and maybe southern part of the hood canal, outside the skokomish delta.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »
Thanks for the fast reply guys! As far as where to hunt goes, it sounds like any of the Wildlife areas that are open to hunt are good to go, as long as I'm obeying the individual restrictions (ex, union river you must use the public blinds)

Outside of those wildlife areas, how do you determine if the body of water is legal to hunt? Im looking specifically at the bay that the the grays harbor units are positioned around, and maybe southern part of the hood canal, outside the skokomish delta.

My thought is that if it is not in city limits, no shooting zone, or a park, you are good to go. Your mileage may vary.   ;)

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 06:53:47 PM »
I hunt from my kayak all the time. I've used it as a layout blind. I've used it to jump shoot and I've used it as transport to make a ground blind and then for the retrieve. Shooting a pump gun is no problem and a Hobie drive is still classified as non motorized.
Have fun! And rinse your gun as Soo as you get home if hunting in the salt!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 06:58:08 PM »
Love blasting from the kayak.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:59:22 PM »
Nice!

Offline YoungFowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »
Yep your gonna love it. I just got into it this year as well. I haven't used an anchor, I've just tucked up against the shore, but I guess it depends on the spot. Not one of your questions, but I'd also recommend the onyx inflatable life vests. I like having a vest on especially in the winter months and the inflatable ones are so small you can still shoot comfortably and not know its there. Also easy to paddle with. Good Luck!
Fear God, love your neighbor and shoot ducks-Phil Robertson

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:54:34 AM »
If you plan on using it to jump shoot ducks make sure you know who's around you. Nothing is more annoying then when you wake up early set decoys and plan working ducks that day when some guy decides he's going to jump shoot.

As where you can hunt if it doesn't have a no shooting zone, isn't inside a park or city limits you should be good to go. I think the coast has some weird laws where land owners can own into the bay but I'm on the other side of the state so never had to verify that. Good luck and have fun!

Offline CJ5K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 07:18:58 AM »
Once again, thanks for all the input guys!

I've got an inflatable life jacket, so no worries there. Mainly just trying to make sure I don't run a fowl of the law or unknowingly commit some unsafe hunting practices.

I'll probably ask some more specific questions later after I've had a chance to scout some of the areas I have in mind, but for now, y'all have given me a great starting point.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal