collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rayonier permits?  (Read 5633 times)

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Rayonier permits?
« on: February 17, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »
How does the permit thing work? Is there a general permit I can use to get onto land or do I need to get a permit and lease some land? I tried looking on Rayonier a website but I’m not very computer savvy and can’t figure out if they have general areas or what not. I am thinking of hunting the peninsula this next season for elk but am confused how the permits work? Any help world be great. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:57:03 PM by Commando »

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Rayonier permits?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
There are some general permit hunting areas and then there are special permit hunting areas and then there are lease areas. IIRC the lease areas don’t show up on the permit maps and the special permit areas are demarcated on the general maps. What areas are you specifically targeting?

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:09:32 PM »
I’d like to hunt a couple spots around the hoh, Goodman mainline and a spot around beaver

Offline cohocrazy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 06:29:33 PM »
You can access the first couple miles of the Goodman Mainline off of Lapush road with the Rayonier general access permit. For most of the Goodman you have to purchase the actual Goodman permit.  The Dickey is a large unit and there's quite a bit of land that can be accessed in the Dickey with the general access permit however; you will need the actual Dickey permit to access a lot of it.

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
Thanks for the info. I’ll try to figure out what part of the Dickey unit I can hunt with the general permit.How much is the Goodman permit?

Offline cohocrazy

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »
The Goodman permit is $285.00. You can have 2 adults on the permit so if you have an interested hunting partner you can split the price. All the permit information is available at property.rayonierhunting.com. The Dickey permit actually covers the Hoko unit as well and gives you access to approximately twice as much county. The Dickey-Hoko permit is $275.00.

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 07:52:24 PM »
The Goodman permit is $285.00. You can have 2 adults on the permit so if you have an interested hunting partner you can split the price. All the permit information is available at property.rayonierhunting.com. The Dickey permit actually covers the Hoko unit as well and gives you access to approximately twice as much county. The Dickey-Hoko permit is $275.00.

how is the elk population in the Dickey?
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 08:11:52 PM »

It's hunted quite hard, you have Elwha, Hoh, Makah, and the Quilleute tribes all with U&As in the Goodman, SolDuc and up the Hoko.

They open Aug 1, and a lot of animals are taken before the non-treaty seasons begin.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 06:44:51 PM »

Seems to have some big herds, but they tend to have younger animals (from what I've seen).  Not uncommon to see a big herd of cows with maybe a spike or a two point, especially as the year rolls on.  Most of the bulls I see in there are raghorns around 4 point.  For dickey I usually think of a 5 point any mass as pretty good, whereas in sol duc I would think that about a heavy 6 or 7.  Dickey has lots of roads and clear cuts as well as not really steep, so easier to walk or bike around.  If you chase a herd into some reprod, you can usually run around the edge on one of many roads until they come out on a clear cut on the other side eventually.  Not like the units by the park where they can get into stuff that hasn't been cut in years, no roads, deep canyons and steep unstable mountains.  But Dickey gets lots of hunters, lots of guys live on the edges or work there for day jobs.

Here's 2016 harvest report, it might help explain.
https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2016/reports/elk_gmu_all.php
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 06:59:12 PM by JimmyHoffa »

Offline cohocrazy

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »
There is a lot of elk in the Dickey and the population seems to be increasing the last couple years since Rayonier started the permit process. They keep the gates locked and are actually doing a decent job of controlling the tribal hunting. The gates on the Goodman mainline are left open. My contact at Rainier tells me the tribe is not allowed in there unless they buy a permit but with the gates open I doubt they care. I found some fresh gut piles right off the Goodman mainline the day before rifle elk opened last year. Don't overlook the Sol Duc. It's mostly public land and I can be decent in rifle season especially if there's early snow to push them lower.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]