collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
Re: Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »
Would be for me.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 06:56:39 AM »
After some further research I realized that the VX-6HD 2-12x42 doesn't have parallax adjustment.  Does this seem like a dealbreaker to those in the know?  I won't be shooting past 500-600 yards.

I wouldn’t worry about it. At lower magnifications (10-12x) and the ranges you’re planning to shoot it won’t make a big difference, especially for hunting. Plus it will save an ounce or two and keep a slightly smaller profile by not having the extra knob.

Offline sticky

• Scout
Rifle/Scope Combo - Change my mind
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2018, 08:06:07 AM »
I’m a lefty due to an accident over twenty years ago, and I’ve carried an Xbolt in 30-06 with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 with ammo ranging from 150, 165, 180 grain of top offerings from the major brands. Damned if it doesn’t like Fusion the best. You can put a telescope on a rifle, but I prefer something that has good glass over mega distance. Shooting an elk from 600 yds doesn’t make you a better hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Our defense is in the preservation of the spirit which prizes liberty as the heritage of all men, in all lands, every where. Destroy this spirit, and you have planted the seeds of despotism around your own doors.

-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2018, 09:38:03 AM »
Shooting an elk from 600 yds doesn’t make you a better hunter.

It does if you use a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 02:57:34 PM »
I'm a big fan of low power hunting scopes as well. My fav is a vortex viper 2.5-10x44 I got from bullblaster. Low light is no prob with that scope!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 03:29:08 PM »
I don't know how old you are and how your eyes are. But I'd been shooting a 2-10x scope throughout my first 40 years of hunting out to 400 yards without any problem. Now that I'm 60 and my eyes suck, the 2-10x I bought for my Grendel isn't enough. For shooting 500-600 yards, I'd need more magnification, like at least 16, possibly 20. It's surprising how fast eyesight can change as you get older.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 03:49:43 PM »
I don't know how old you are and how your eyes are. But I'd been shooting a 2-10x scope throughout my first 40 years of hunting out to 400 yards without any problem. Now that I'm 60 and my eyes suck, the 2-10x I bought for my Grendel isn't enough. For shooting 500-600 yards, I'd need more magnification, like at least 16, possibly 20. It's surprising how fast eyesight can change as you get older.
im 38 but hunt in north eastern wa. 200 yards is a long shot. You can't see that far in my hunting areas in most cases. Every deer I ever killed was in bow range, 200 yards being the farthest shot ever on a game animal
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2018, 09:05:35 PM »
Any recommendations out there for a good set of 30mm tikka rings?  I would prefer rings that attach directly to  the receiver.

Also, stopped by a Bass Pro to put my hands on a vx6-hd.  I was a little disappointed in the feel of the turrets when dialing.  The clicks didn't feel very "positive".  Has anyone else had this experience?

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 08:06:53 AM »
My two cents,
Go with the Tikka Lite in a .280, less recoil for that light of a rifle.
The .280 should handle the 160 grains just fine.
no argument from me about the .280 being a fantastic cartridge, but i might give the nod to the 7mm mag in his case just because it doesn't appear that he is a reloader, and a lot of .280 ammo is pretty anemic due to the fact that it's loaded to function in those old remington 740s.  not to mention, that unless you live close to cabela's or sportsman's, it can be a little tough to find.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline tgray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2018, 07:35:19 PM »
Any recommendations out there for a good set of 30mm tikka rings?  I would prefer rings that attach directly to  the receiver.

Also, stopped by a Bass Pro to put my hands on a vx6-hd.  I was a little disappointed in the feel of the turrets when dialing.  The clicks didn't feel very "positive".  Has anyone else had this experience?
I have 2 of the VX6HD and a VX5HD, the click feel doesn’t effect anything, not as positive feel as say a night force but they track perfectly for me anyway

Offline tgray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Scout
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »

i use light weight Tally’s on my tikkas, been real happy with them

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand