collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 246 Slide Ridge  (Read 4502 times)

Offline MuleFreak85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
GMU 246 Slide Ridge
« on: September 17, 2018, 04:20:19 PM »
Hey guys, new to the forums here. Just wanted to have some input on the Slide Ridge GMU. Anyone hunted it? Pictures of harvested deer? What to expect? I have an opportunity to go on to a little chunk of private land that opens up to state land and have never hunted that area before. I have always hunted down in the Winthrop/Twisp area and am looking to broaden my horizons with deer land. Thanks a head of time for any input.

Offline heavyhorned

• Tracker
Re: GMU 246 Slide Ridge
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 08:23:57 AM »
there is another thread started called gmu 246 slide rocks. has pics and some info. take a look. if your hunting general season you will see lots of people. most will drive by or stop to glass a deep canyon. some do how get out and hike into the back country. devils backbone,jr point, big hill. if you have permission to hunt some privet land than you must be down lower. be very careful lots of home owners believe the deer are there pets and will react quickly by calling the sheriff even if its not there land.if you go up high,there are many trials to go out on and many spots to sit and glass. the area is straight up and straight down. unless you are walking a ridge there is not much in level ground.

Offline muleracks

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »
Private Land: Don't know where you will find private land to hunt in GMU 246.  The Slide Ridge unit is "entirely" managed by the Forest Service.  Very little private land along Lake Chelan but you are far better off hunting on the public land; forget about hunting somebody's back yard. 
I disagree that the entire unit is a pumpkin patch.  Get off the road and you can be alone.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 08:47:40 PM »
 :yeah:
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline heavyhorned

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 06:24:40 AM »
the privet lands are down low around 25 mile creek. Marcy's home stead, Robinson's ranch, Barnett's orchards, Hail rd, the old saw mill. theres always deer that hang around there. grouse campground usually has a few camps in it. jr point over to big hill has a lot of camps in it. devils back bone trail head had 5 trailers there last year. theres people there you will see, but hell anywhere you go now a days theres people.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »
Muleracks...I'd like you to point out any public land along the lake from 1st creek to 25 mile creek...for those that are looking for honest info on Slide Ridge unit, it IS NOT ENTIRELY MANAGED BY THE FOREST SERVICE...I don't want someone to lose their license, truck, rifle, etc for trespassing while hunting, which is a game violation with civil forfeiture.

heavyhorned knows this unit well...and as he mentioned landowners, you might see a large patch of "open land" (like above tippy canoe & timbuk too) that does not mean it's public land...there is a lot of deer near Watson's resort, but you will get arrested if you hunt them!

I do think that "most" of Slide Ridge unit is public, but there is no public land along the lake until you get past 25 mile creek, even the end of the road is private and if you park there and hike the trail along the south shore you could get your rig towed.

It might not be a pumpkin patch if you get off road/trail...but you won't be all alone either...

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 04:09:38 PM »
may want to check Onx or auditor maps.....there is indeed public land in that stretch
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline 2506

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 09:26:03 PM »
Slide Rdg unit doesn't start till you get to 25 mile crk

Offline heavyhorned

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »
wow i learned something this morning. i did not realize that slide ridge unit only encompasses half of slide ridge. basically everything on the right or west side of 25 mile creek rd. up slide ridge rd but only the right side of the rd across the top to stormy mnt trail. so everything on the left from 25 and across the top is unit 247 Entiat. OK but still there is privet land at the bottom of 25 on the right as you go up. Robinson ranch and Marcy home. funny i always thought entiat unit stopped at Chelan state park and went up rd 8500. guess i need to read the legal descriptions more often. i cant remember but i thought there was a section of land in the slide ridge unit that was privet property? i remember a tree farm either just below grouse mnt or just above. used to be fenced in too. anyways yes most 98% is public forest service land. but if you are driving there from Chelan or navarre coulee along 971a and a 30in 4x4 jumps from the road to a open field or a open lot, better pass on it.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 08:11:15 AM »
This Crow is delicious!...OK, like heavyhorned, I too will admit when wrong...and yes, we both thought all of our lives that Slide Ridge started at the First Creek Drainage (State Park)...I'm thinking that maybe at one point (30 years ago or so) that it did...either way, I will admit when  I am wrong, and for this one, I am...

Grade

PS. Knock Knock and 2506...thank you for being kind in pointing it out! Civility goes a long ways
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]