collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mt St Helens  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Ebell

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Mt St Helens
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 05:53:25 PM »
We went late in the season and I wish I had brought along a pair of ski goggles. The blowing sand and my contact lenses did not get along!

Offline MacAttack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 06:11:06 PM »
I climbed last year in July. Threw out my back two weeks before. We had snow and were able to glissade down majority of the way,you won't have an issue. Lots of water, I went through 3 or so liters. 3.5 hrs up, maybe 1.5 down.

i'm doing it again in a couple weeks, I will try and take pictures.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
Take salty snacks or something to replenish electrolytes.  I had the worst headache after a climb up Monitor Ridge from climbers bivouac.  We partied the night before and left about 4am, IIRC.  Best burger and fries in town I ever had with loads of salt, and the headache evaporated. 

If you expect snow coming down, I'd take snowshoes, in addition to the other gear suggested - and practicing self-arrest -  unless you like post-holing.

Send me a PM if you are looking for mountaineering gear.  I'll make you a deal.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 06:41:31 PM »
So how many miles is it up and back?  Now I'm curious.
10 miles but last 5 is all downhill !

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 08:31:18 PM »
So how many miles is it up and back?  Now I'm curious.
10 miles but last 5 is all downhill !
Ok, thanks.

Offline dan11011

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 08:32:29 PM »
I did this hike a couple summers ago. Slept in a near by town. Got started at dark and got back late afternoon/early evening. Water is important. Bring at least 4 litres. In the summer, it is not technical by any means. (No crampons, ice axe, or ice travel). No clue in May.  :dunno: However it is a bit of a grunt. Make sure your knees are in decent shape as a lot of the boulder travel feels like hiking stairs. The last bit of the hike is on ash which gives way as you take each step. Everyone I talked to complained about this portion so much that when I arrived to it, I didn't think it was as bad as they made it up to be.

Start early and have fun. You shouldn't have any problems if you are capable of long hikes.

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2018, 10:26:11 PM »
You all have some good advice. Think I will pick up some crampons and bring my snowshoes. Hopefully I can meet a few people up there who just came down to see if they think I should bring them. This trip is motivation for me to continue working on my fitness, giving me a near term goal before elk season. Next year I'll be 40 and looking for advice on climbing Rainier. Have to keep proving to myself I'm not too old I guess.

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 11:01:55 PM »
Lots of good info here.  Will just make a few more points
-there may be quite a bit of snow in May.  You may want crampons or microspikes.  Check trip reports a few weeks in advance to see what you can expect.
-agee on the gloves recommendation.  Lava rock is sharp so I recomend leather palm gardening gloves over nice snow gloves
-biggest issue I see on the mountain is not having enough water.  Hydrate the day before and pound a liter at the trailhead before you start.  Avoid alcohol the day before. This will not only help with the climb, but will keep any altitude issues you may have at bay.
-next biggest issue is sun exposure which smossy covered well.  I use a buff that covers my face and a hat and glasses.  I have zero face skin showing on mountians.  I don't even put on sun screen due to how well I am covered.  Not only is there no shade above the tree line, but the snow amplifies it and the uv exposure increases significantly with every 1000 feet of elevation.  Get glasses that block sun on the sides and stop uv.  My buddy and I climbed it on an overcast day in April and he got snow blindness.  Had to sit in a dark room for a week with sunburnt retinas. He said it was....  unpleasant.
-do not under estimate weather.   My first attempt in October saw rain, snow, and 50 to 60 mph winds on the rim.  Pure misery.  Don't be afraid to call the climb from the trailhead.  Temps drop 3 to 4 degrees with each 1,000 feet of gain.  Whiteout is possible.  Not worth it.  Great weathersite: https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Saint-Helens/forecasts/2549
-don't forget the true summit is about 2/10ths of a mile to the left once you hit the rim!
-if there is snow at the rim, beware of  cornice and stay the hell back.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_cornice

Have a great hike, it is an amazing mountian!

Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 11:09:34 PM »
Oh yeah, for water I would bring 3 liters.  And I would leave the beers for the trailhead once you are down.

And drive careful on the way home...  early starts and long physical days can make for a sleepy ride home.
  - Chris Ledoux

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 11:16:49 PM »
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Yakirack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2018, 09:01:32 AM »
We did this in June and it was pretty dry that year except for the top had a bit of snow left. Watch out for the cornices.
It's a loooooooong trudge and made Mt. Adams seem easy in my opinion.
Stayed at the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar....you can tent there as well and they have a little restaurant and store.
Go the day before and hit the Ape Caves...it will be the best part of your trip  :tup:

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 02:08:30 PM »
Great info guys thanks,  I also got climbing permits for late may and will be my first attempt looking forward to an awsome hike. 

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »
We did this in June and it was pretty dry that year except for the top had a bit of snow left. Watch out for the cornices.
It's a loooooooong trudge and made Mt. Adams seem easy in my opinion.
Stayed at the Lone Fir Resort in Cougar....you can tent there as well and they have a little restaurant and store.
Go the day before and hit the Ape Caves...it will be the best part of your trip  :tup:

:yeah: Carbon copy experience to Yakirack - Put in at the Bivouac which is the best entry point for a first timer. Follow the SNO POLES!

Offline Rubber Ducky

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »
I hiked up St Helens last year on june13th. Made this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0_VDsFS5IFs  I have permits this year for may 31st I’m expecting snow and ice.

Offline branches

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 08:47:47 PM »
If you are hiking up in May or early June I think you will be hiking up the winter route. We have hiked up the mountain 4 years in a row in late July and early August and had no problems but in late May I think the snow level will still be low and you will start at Marble Mountain snow park and go up the Worm Flows. You will need to plan for hiking up and down in the snow. Since you are starting at Midnight you will be getting a good start at the summit before the sun gets out and warms up the snow. You will need to have protection from the wind and sun so make sure you have ski goggles for the wind and sun screen for the sun. Sunglasses will work ok but you can still get that dust or cat litter in your eyes. I have always wanted to hike that mountain in the spring I think that everything in the area covered in snow would look awesome. I hope you and your hiking group have a great hike to the summit.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]