collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone ferment?  (Read 9908 times)

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Anyone ferment?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 04:42:58 PM »
I started making sauerkraut a couple months ago. I can't keep up with the demand, so I'm going to make bigger batches. It is so much better than any store-bought kraut I've had it seems like an entirely different food. Good stuff.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2018, 05:45:35 PM »
I started making sauerkraut a couple months ago. I can't keep up with the demand, so I'm going to make bigger batches. It is so much better than any store-bought kraut I've had it seems like an entirely different food. Good stuff.

Doing stuff yourself always is better! Glad to hear it man. How big of a batch are we talking? Started any different flavors? Apple Caraway? Use purple cabbage for blackkraut? Or added a tad of sugar for the lactobacillus to feed off of to make it even more sour?
Be Better than Cream of Mushroom Soup

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2018, 05:05:26 PM »

Doing stuff yourself always is better! Glad to hear it man. How big of a batch are we talking? Started any different flavors? Apple Caraway? Use purple cabbage for blackkraut? Or added a tad of sugar for the lactobacillus to feed off of to make it even more sour?

I made my first two batches in a 2.5 quart jar. 1st batch was just cabbage and salt. 2nd batch I added fresh garlic. I have a double batch fermenting now- 2 of those 2.5 quart jars- 1 straight kraut, 1 garlic.

I figured I'd start slow. My first attempts were tasty and went quickly. Next step is to add some variety. I like the sound of the apple and caraway kraut- I know caraway pairs with cabbage well and we have a ton of apples right now. Thanks for the encouragement.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline shallowforks

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 05:22:35 PM »
I ferment Kraut, Pickles, salsa, garlic and have even fermented my deer livers. Love fermented food and like you said the fermented kraut tastes waaaaay better. I do plain kraut with juice from my fermented garlic as a starter and jalepeno kraut. For my salsa I use a whey starter that I make from plain yogurt. The garlic is pretty easy to do, just cover in salt water and room temp for couple weeks. It goes good with just about anything. salads, stuffed olives, just about anything. the pickles I do garlic dill, and the deer liver I chop super fine and add rosemary and raisins to feed the lactobacilli, and a whey starter. All of this I make during the summer and store refrigerated through the next spring.

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 02:24:50 PM »
I ferment Kraut, Pickles, salsa, garlic and have even fermented my deer livers. Love fermented food and like you said the fermented kraut tastes waaaaay better. I do plain kraut with juice from my fermented garlic as a starter and jalepeno kraut. For my salsa I use a whey starter that I make from plain yogurt. The garlic is pretty easy to do, just cover in salt water and room temp for couple weeks. It goes good with just about anything. salads, stuffed olives, just about anything. the pickles I do garlic dill, and the deer liver I chop super fine and add rosemary and raisins to feed the lactobacilli, and a whey starter. All of this I make during the summer and store refrigerated through the next spring.

The liver technique sounds interesting. Does the liver turn out a bit more sour?

Offline shallowforks

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
yes it gets tart with the lactic acid from the lacto. You can control this somewhat with the amount of chopped dry fruit you add. I usually add more as it ages to keep it a little sweet as I consume it. Havent tried it but dried apricots could really shine in this recipe

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2022, 08:24:49 AM »
I got a 5 gallon bucket of sauerkraut going, been 2 weeks and zero mold. Flavor is good right out the bucket. 

Cabbage was on sale .49c /lb  :IBCOOL:

Offline merkaba93

• Scout
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2022, 09:02:00 AM »
I got a 5 gallon bucket of sauerkraut going, been 2 weeks and zero mold. Flavor is good right out the bucket. 

Cabbage was on sale .49c /lb  :IBCOOL:

5 gallons? Dang! Nice work. And that's an amazing price.

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2022, 09:39:49 AM »
I don't but my grandmother sure did. I can't remember how many pickling crocks she had it was about 10, all 5 gallons. She always did 10 gallons of kraut every year, she used a large flat rock sealed in paraffin to keep the cabbage in the brine.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2022, 10:02:06 AM »
I don't but my grandmother sure did. I can't remember how many pickling crocks she had it was about 10, all 5 gallons. She always did 10 gallons of kraut every year, she used a large flat rock sealed in paraffin to keep the cabbage in the brine.

I used a glass pie plate, it fit the bucket pretty good.  Don't need a crock, just a plastic bucket works.  Tbe ones at north 40 are all food grade

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2022, 11:16:12 AM »
When my garlic is ready in July I'm going to try to make black garlic.  My sister gave us a jar for Christmas and it was really tasty.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2022, 02:20:53 PM »
I've been brewing kitchen counter Kombucha for about the last 6 months.  1 gallon every 14 days or so.  I like it tart.  It seems to get better and better each batch.  The last round was pomegranate cranberry kombucha.  My wife was buying it all the time before I started making it, so this was a fun hobby that saved me a little $.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2022, 02:26:07 PM »
For anyone that lives in the South Sound, Carpinito Brothers sells cabbage really cheap starting in mid-August or so.  That's when I score for kraut.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Online LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2022, 04:18:49 PM »
I immediately thought of this video I saw a while back when I saw this thread! Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]