collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need help for springer plunking setup  (Read 7086 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Need help for springer plunking setup
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
I've looked online for plunking setups from shore and there seems to be so many different options. I have decided that I want to use a kwikfish size k15 by sliding it down my main line after I have already casted a sinker into the river because I am afraid of like twists. Here is my setup,  I'm hoping this looks like it will work. My dropper is about 3 feet and my leader to kwikfish is about 4 feet. I'm also running 25 pound main line and 20 pound mono leader. Some people have told me that I can use mono instead of fluorocarbon ...Let me know if I should change something. This is my first year fishing for big fish and not trout so I am new to all of this .

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Need help for springer plunking setup
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:14:36 PM »
Are you plunking in the Columbia or the Cowlits? You should at least be using a Spin n Glo/shrimp attached to your mainline then sliding the Kwik Fish down like you already described, just be sure not to have too many hooks in the water at once. The plug will only go to the bow your line makes and won't make it to the weight on the end of your line. You can spread your gear out and cover the water this way. You shouldn't use round weights as they will roll across the bottom and into a snag or someone elses gear. Have an assortment of 6-24oz pyramid weights. There will be a lot of drag from the current, you need to stay put. I would be nervous casting heavy weights with 25lb mainline, especially mono. I use 50-65lb braid. What kind of rod are you using? I use a 10.5' extra heavy. Have a sturdy rod holder and loosen your drag, a fish can rip your rod off the bank. Use bead chains to reduce twist. A good product that makes thing easier is the Oregon Tackle 360° plunking spreader, especially for multi rig setups. Bring a comfy seat and the BBQ, plan on spending some time at it. Plunking can be agonizingly boring sometimes so it pays to have some sort entertainment along. Good luck!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:16:48 AM »
By plunking, do you mean casting from the bank?  If so, that's not going to work.  If you mean fishing from a boat, that will do the job but you will probably need more weight to hold that plug in current.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
By plunking, do you mean casting from the bank?  If so, that's not going to work.  If you mean fishing from a boat, that will do the job but you will probably need more weight to hold that plug in current.

Plunking means you cast it out from the bank and let the weight sit on the bottom while the gear works in the current.  You put your rod in a holder on the bank/beach and sit back until a fish comes along and bites.  His setup would work except for the round weight.  As mentioned, need a pyramid or some other weight that won't roll with the current. 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »
Yeah, I wasn't sure what his definition was as I don't see too many people plunking plugs.  That thing creates a ton of drag and you would need a huge weight to keep it in place.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 08:31:24 AM »
I second the switch of mainline to braid. You will have far less drag with 50# braid than 25# mono, so your setup is more likely to hold.

Definitely no need for fluorocarbon for leader, those fish aren't line shy. I'd bump my leader up to 25 or 30 if I was you.

The recommendation on having a spin n glo w/ shrimp on the weight if you're sliding the plug down is also spot on. Might as well have multiple set ups fishing.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 12:31:30 PM »
I do lots of plunking. IMO focus more on slinglo and coon shrimp, most columbia water you will be fishing will be too deep to really be effective sliding a plug down. Some senarios will work tho. 

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »
Spin n glo's an a 14-20oz pyramid depending on current and how many glows your running, we use 3.
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline Nwgunner

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF Sportsmans Alliance
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 06:49:55 PM »
I would say Mfowl pretty much nailed every aspect on the head.  I have found I can get hold of the bottom really well with an 8-10oz pyramid sinker.  Spinnglo, prawn tails, gamakatsu big river 2/0 hooks for me.  I also like to clip a bell too my pole so that it rings if I get a strike. 

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 07:00:54 PM »
Are you plunking in the Columbia or the Cowlits? You should at least be using a Spin n Glo/shrimp attached to your mainline then sliding the Kwik Fish down like you already described, just be sure not to have too many hooks in the water at once. The plug will only go to the bow your line makes and won't make it to the weight on the end of your line. You can spread your gear out and cover the water this way. You shouldn't use round weights as they will roll across the bottom and into a snag or someone elses gear. Have an assortment of 6-24oz pyramid weights. There will be a lot of drag from the current, you need to stay put. I would be nervous casting heavy weights with 25lb mainline, especially mono. I use 50-65lb braid. What kind of rod are you using? I use a 10.5' extra heavy. Have a sturdy rod holder and loosen your drag, a fish can rip your rod off the bank. Use bead chains to reduce twist. A good product that makes thing easier is the Oregon Tackle 360° plunking spreader, especially for multi rig setups. Bring a comfy seat and the BBQ, plan on spending some time at it. Plunking can be agonizingly boring sometimes so it pays to have some sort entertainment along. Good luck!

So I  have 3 rods and I don't think any will work well which I'm worried about. I just got an ugly stick gx2 salmon/steelhead rod 10-20 pound, medium heavy, 9 foot with 20 pound berkly fire line. I got this pole for drift fishing. I found another cheap pole in my shop from many years ago. It's a ready 2 fish brand, 8 foot, medium heavy 12-25 pound line it has a reel that can hold lots of line (more than the gx2). And my last pole is an ugly stick tiger 7 foot medium heavy 30-60 pound.

Where I am getting confused is the line weight ratings on the poles. If my poles are rated 10-25 pound am I even able to use them with 40 pound line? Would a high pound braid work? They are all spinning reels except the tiger stick. I'm fishing the Columbia I'm Vancouver Washington.

I also have a ski boat with rod holders that can go on the Columbia if bank fishing won't work for me

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »
Unfortunately, your rod selection is not ideal for plunking and/or anchor fishing on the Columbia. I have seen guys using spin gear while plunking on the Cowlitz but it is generally a bit heavier than what you described. Generally a 9-10.5' heavy to extra heavy rod with a level wind reel is preferred. Some serious Columbia plunkers use 11-13' rods but that is not required. You do need a rod wih some backbone to handle slinging those heavy weights out in the river. Some people use a kayak to "ferry" their gear out from shore but you still need a rod that can bring that gear in when its time. Don't worry so much about the line rating on a rod, just about everyone who is fishing braid is over fishing their rods line rating. A good rod that is reasonably priced is the Berkely Air IM8 in the 9.5-10.5' length paired up with an Abu Garcia 6500 or Okuma Coldwater reel spooled with 50-65lb braid. You can do any type of Columbia salmon fishing with this combo from plunking to trolling herring/flashers to anchor fishing with plugs without breaking the bank. If you are in the Vancouver area, jump over to one of the Fisherman's Marine stores in Portland or Bob's in Longview and ask for some info on getting set up for Columbia salmon fishing. They should be able to give you plenty of info.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 10:26:51 AM »

So I  have 3 rods and I don't think any will work well which I'm worried about. I just got an ugly stick gx2 salmon/steelhead rod 10-20 pound, medium heavy, 9 foot with 20 pound berkly fire line. I got this pole for drift fishing. I found another cheap pole in my shop from many years ago. It's a ready 2 fish brand, 8 foot, medium heavy 12-25 pound line it has a reel that can hold lots of line (more than the gx2). And my last pole is an ugly stick tiger 7 foot medium heavy 30-60 pound.

Where I am getting confused is the line weight ratings on the poles. If my poles are rated 10-25 pound am I even able to use them with 40 pound line? Would a high pound braid work? They are all spinning reels except the tiger stick. I'm fishing the Columbia I'm Vancouver Washington.

I also have a ski boat with rod holders that can go on the Columbia if bank fishing won't work for me
I'd not be comfortable with any of those rods, you need to consider you'll be casting anywhere from 6-16oz of weigth. That takes a rod with a pretty good backbone and some length, if you need to cast any sort of distance, without it just bending like a wet noodle. The recommendation by Mfowl is a good one (though I'd use a different reel) as it can cover boat duties, plunking, and heavy bobber fishing. I'm one of those guys that he talked about that uses the big rods, 12-14ft, but that's because where I'm at can require a lot of weight and a long rod to get to the current from the bank. Some situations call for different gear, so your best bet is to go down and see what guys are using where you plan on fishing, then spend an afternoon casting your setup somewhere like a park or football field so you get a hang of what it's like. Don't be the noob that shows up on the bank and casts his rig for the first time with guys all around him without having practiced with it on dry ground first.   

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 10:40:56 AM »
I agree with the above, you are going to be extremely limited in how far you can cast, likely not far enough out unless you happen to be in an ideal spot.  Plunking on the Big C really requires the right rod, setup, bait and location to be effective.  I would either look into a huge pool cue rod or take the boat and anchor.  Anchor fishing is far less demanding on the gear and you can get exactly where you want.  The downside is you need a boat and anchor and it can get pretty boring compared with a comfortable camp on the beach.

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 07:22:37 AM »
Unfortunately, your rod selection is not ideal for plunking and/or anchor fishing on the Columbia. I have seen guys using spin gear while plunking on the Cowlitz but it is generally a bit heavier than what you described. Generally a 9-10.5' heavy to extra heavy rod with a level wind reel is preferred. Some serious Columbia plunkers use 11-13' rods but that is not required. You do need a rod wih some backbone to handle slinging those heavy weights out in the river. Some people use a kayak to "ferry" their gear out from shore but you still need a rod that can bring that gear in when its time. Don't worry so much about the line rating on a rod, just about everyone who is fishing braid is over fishing their rods line rating. A good rod that is reasonably priced is the Berkely Air IM8 in the 9.5-10.5' length paired up with an Abu Garcia 6500 or Okuma Coldwater reel spooled with 50-65lb braid. You can do any type of Columbia salmon fishing with this combo from plunking to trolling herring/flashers to anchor fishing with plugs without breaking the bank. If you are in the Vancouver area, jump over to one of the Fisherman's Marine stores in Portland or Bob's in Longview and ask for some info on getting set up for Columbia salmon fishing. They should be able to give you plenty of info.

So I really prefer a spinning rod because I don't want to buy a new reel. I'm having trouble finding any heavy 10-50 pound spinning rods online. The only one in stock that I have found is a ugly stick salmon/ steelhead 14-50 extra heavy 9' moderate fast action. Will this be okay for boat and bank fishing? I don't mind not being able to cast extremely far as long as Im out a good enough distance in the river

I also found an ugly stick big water spinning reel surf rod that's 11' heavy  20-40 pound line.

I'm willing to try a casting rod if I can get a reel for around 40-50 bucks. Seems like many poles are about $70. I'm trying to save all my money for college tuition so I'm looking for the cheapest and best quality if possible. I've casted a baitcaster before so I know how I works I just need practice. I have a huge field at home to practice in if I do end up getting one. I'm just worried about bird nesting expensive braid line trying to learn.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 07:58:24 AM by Ajj828 »

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »
If spin gear is what you are comfortable with I don't see why a surf rod would not be a servicable option. I am not very familiar with surf fishing equipment but I bet these rods have the backbone and length to sling your gear out from shore. You just need to make sure your reel has the ability and line capacity to match up with the rod. You should follow Theleo's suggestion and go to the beaches you plan to fish and just observe what guys are doing. If you see someone using spin gear ask them about their setup and how it works.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »

So I really prefer a spinning rod because I don't want to buy a new reel. I'm having trouble finding any heavy 10-50 pound spinning rods online. The only one in stock that I have found is a ugly stick salmon/ steelhead 14-50 extra heavy 9' moderate fast action. Will this be okay for boat and bank fishing? I don't mind not being able to cast extremely far as long as Im out a good enough distance in the river

I also found an ugly stick big water spinning reel surf rod that's 11' heavy  20-40 pound line.

I'm willing to try a casting rod if I can get a reel for around 40-50 bucks. Seems like many poles are about $70. I'm trying to save all my money for college tuition so I'm looking for the cheapest and best quality if possible. I've casted a baitcaster before so I know how I works I just need practice. I have a huge field at home to practice in if I do end up getting one. I'm just worried about bird nesting expensive braid line trying to learn.
Those rods should work for you. One thing you should know going with a spinning reel and braid, casting with that much weight on can be hard on your index finger especially with a square braid like standard Power Pro. It'll also be critical you don't cross anybody else's line because if they're using mono you'll chafe their line and possibly cost them a fish, that has been the cause of more than one spring time fist fight. Most of my plunking setups have plenty line capacity so I use 30lb Ultra Green. I always take one with braid though, just so I can be the jerk on the bank chafing lines if somebody crowds or continually casts over me.

If you go towards a casting setup you could probably find a used Torium, Sealine, Convector, or open face Penn for a good price.

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 11:33:09 PM »
This will be my first year fishing for springers and also from the bank....

We will be dropping lines with kayaks from various locations in the sw area. Mostly exploring and taking notes. We dont fish lead but drop rocks with breakaway leaders instead. If you plan to do some plunking on the weekends let me know, id be more than happy to have you join us and drop your line for you. Advantage of using a kayak is you can run triple single hook set ups without worrying of a tangle. Or having to slide a kwikfish. We had good success on summer steelhead and are hoping to get our numbers dialed in this year for salmon.

Gear wise we are running lamiglas x11, okuma sst, berkley IM8s and testing out the even more affordable shimano scimitar that was just released this winter. Reels we are using okuma cold waters both low pro and round. Line counter is useful for consistent drops in the right slot once found. All running braid 50lb or more power pro or tuff line.

Keep in mind we are line dropping. These rods could be casted in a slower moving river during summer steelhead with 4-5oz depending on location ans tide. If your stuck casting I 2nd the suggestion of a large surf rod. Most are affordable since they are a lot less technical than specific salmon/steelhead rods. And they can double as a jetty rod in the fall fishery.

Im new to this as well but have been soaking up as much knowledge I can and specifically plunking since i dont have a boat and its kid friendly especially come summer. So take anything I say with a grain of salt as i am no pro. BTW both bobs and fishermans have good sales going on right now for springer season, so now would be a good time gear up if possible. Good luck out there!

Online TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 08:02:16 AM »
Search YouTube for videos on the “breakaway casting aid” it will save your finger. Im getting one. Long casts with heavy gear without one is painful.

Offline bigbullshedhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 03:46:40 PM »
I use to use a sturgeon rod as my guide line with a 16 0z weight with about a 3 ft 50 lb mono leader to barrel swivel then maineline. Make sure on top of mainline you put a large corkie to keep your bait from sliding all the way down the guidline to the weight. Cast your guile into desired spot and make sure it's snagged good on the bottom. You don't want it to move. Also make sure you make sure when it is setup the line is at a 4t degree angle to the bank.  You would then clip your qwikfishfish or herring with atleast a 6 foot leader then tied to a 3 way swivel and a breakaway system from the guidline then place your bait in the water and the  the current will send your bait down to the barrel swivel on the guideline. I would use a simple snap system with a rubber band to breakaway from guideline. Worked well for me

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]