collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: $500 to spend on glass, how do you spend it?  (Read 6697 times)

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
Re: $500 to spend on glass, how do you spend it?
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 10:28:43 PM »
I'd get a pair of vortex diamondbacks 10x42s for 139 bucks (which I actually bought at the sportmans show a few weeks ago for a backup to my leupolds) and I would pick up an older Nikon spotting scope for around 300. Those older Nikon spotters are great if your on a budget. My old man has one and it's very clear and let's in a lot of light for those crucial morning or evening hours.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 11:38:42 PM »
Nikon Monarch 7 10x42. 

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »
in the old days Id spend 50 on a pair of bushnells and use the rest for beer.  Nowadays id save 500 from this year and add it to the 1500 from the tax return next year and go Swaro  :chuckle:
   :yeah:  $1500  Will do it by watching the classifieds. Picked up a pair of Swaro SLC 15x56 HD
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 09:12:49 PM »
Know anyone with an experticity account? Vortex is around 40% off on there if you can wait.

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 10:39:36 PM »
This last summer I went with Pella.  So far It seems like a good product.

http://www.pella.com/windows/

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 08:39:18 AM »
I have a pair of Nikon Premier LX 10x42 binoculars sitting around gathering dust. If you’re interested in seeing them, send me a PM.

http://www.optics4birding.com/nikon-premier-lxl-binoculars-review.aspx

http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/nikon_premierlx.html

http://www.nikonbinoculars.com/nikon-premier-lx-l-8x42-10x42-binoculars-review/

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 09:25:09 PM »
Alpen TETON 10x42's all the way - Awesome resolution and can get 'em for a song now that the company recently went belly-up. Might even have some spare change left over to take that special someone out to a nice dinner!  :tup:

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »
Bino's only, 10x42, used or closeout.  Cabelas often times has some good stuff in the bargain cave.

:yeah:

You can get some pretty good deals out of the bargain cave if you check in often. I picked up a pair of 10x42 Cabelas Euros a couple years back for just under $500 and they've been a great value. They're essentially a rebranded Meopta Meostar B1.

Offline chiwawadan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 05:19:11 PM »
Know anyone with an experticity account? Vortex is around 40% off on there if you can wait.

Finally had a chance to try out a bunch of 10x42s side-by-side. Was a great experience - highly recommend it for anyone who, like me, hasn't had the chance to look through many different options with their own eyes. Researching all day online just doesn't quite give that personal-preference factor.

In that 300-500 price range, I really liked both the Nikon Monarch 7s and the Vortex Viper HD's, but give a slight win due to the clarity at low light from the Vipers... For my eyes, that was the only distinct difference between those. Well, except a slight preference to the grip/feeling holding the Vipers.

I started with the Diamondbacks as I'd rather spend that kind of money... but I made the mistake of looking through the Viper side by side and I just couldn't get used to how dim/dark everything seemed through the Diamondbacks compared to the Monarch 7s and Vipers. Damn it!

For someone who had never looked down Swaro's... after 30min of looking through various 10x42s I finally tried the Swaros and still said "holy s***"...  :chuckle:      Fortunately, I'm cheap enough it's not even on my radar.   

With the value inherent in the Vortex warranty and my slight preference in side-by-side I think I'm probably going to be scouring for used Vortex HDs... So, let me know if you've got a pair collecting dust!  The Monarch 7s really were close, though... Really bright/clear and maybe even more FOV? I called the Nikon customer service and the guy basically said the warranty is "non-transferable, but we don't require proof of purchase", but on the warranty card I saw it said proof of  purchase required? Sounds like a mess I'd rather not deal with.

Just thought I'd share.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 07:49:42 AM »
I would look into Zenray Prime HD Binos.  IIRC they are in that cost neighborhood.  I've got some ZR2s and they are fantastic for the money.  Much better than the Nikon Monarchs I had that were much more expensive.

Totally agree.  ZenRays are awesome at their price point.  I have had a set since 2009 and love them.  I'm sure the newest edition ones are even better, but I feel no urge to upgrade.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »
Like Bone said, save the 500$ and put it toward Swarovski’s. I have had just about everything out there and you spend just as much over the years buying every 3-600 dollar bino in search of that gem and trust me you’ll be money ahead. I would only go with Swarovski or Leica, I currently use Leica HDR and a Swaro spotter and it’s by far the best combo I’ve had.  :twocents:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »
I second the Zen-ray HDs, especially if you buy one of the demo units - same warranty, slightly used, and hundreds of dollars off original price.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 09:40:26 AM »
Swaros are nice but get some used maven b2s if your on a budget....spent lots of time comparing against lots of diff swaros and have yet to be disappointed for half the price

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]