collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: School me on Montana  (Read 3024 times)

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
School me on Montana
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
So I just finished my Montana deer application and and really hoping to draw a tag. This will be my first year hunting anything in MT. Hoping for a Mule deer buck. I’m Not an antler hunter, but would definitely love a big one of course.  I’ll be on a solo hunt and most likely just camping out of my truck wherever I end up. Likely headed to the SE section of the state (region 7) unless I get better intel from someone. Likely headed out mid Nov (at least that’s what I’ve read is the time to be out there) and should have about a week to hunt. So I’ve read all the posts on here about MT, the mud, onx chips, snow, where to hunt, where not to hunt etc.. I’ve already got my MT onx chip and my delorme Inreach ready to go. If I can find a good base camp on a scouting trip this summer I’ll bring my SO Redcliff and stove to camp in, but in a pinch, I may just sleep in the back of my truck if I can’t find a proper spot.. I’m still torn between two spots to scout. One is the Custer NF and the other is the land around Broadus.. I’ll get that dialed in for sure though.
   So all you guys who hunt out of state, what are some tips or things you wish you had done or brought with you on your MT hunt?? Just trying to cut down the learning curve a bit as I’ll be solo and would rather have more time to hunt and not be messing around with logistics or gear..
  Thanks so much and I’m really looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say!

Offline knighttime25

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: School me on Montana
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »
We will hopefully be hunting Montana this year for the first time as well. I posted a topic a few weeks ago and was very appreciative to get some good feedback around the area we were looking into. It sounds like you have most of the gear dialed in. It is very intimidating to jump into hunting a new state and try to learn new laws and regulations. It should be worthwhile though if we get drawn! Good luck this season!  :tup:

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 12:15:05 PM »
I'm in the same boat, couple Buddy and I put in and now we just wait to see if drawn, then we'll start concentrating on where exactly were going to hunt.
 :tup:

We're looking more around Fort Peck Reservoir.

Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
Prepare your gear from -15 to 60.  Not kidding.  I can dial you in to some good public land hunting, not really any monsters, but good numbers.  Really easy doe killing too.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 01:53:37 PM »
It's going to be a big P I T A this year with the CWD and not bringing certain parts of the animal into Washington.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 01:56:04 PM »
Not many deer, stick with WA.   :chuckle:

The thing to remember about Montana mule deer is they manage for opportunity, not age class.  You get to hunt them in the rut with a rifle for a crazy long season, but the flip side of the coin is there is not the quality or quantity of other states.  They do pump out some bruisers every year, but it's not the place to go for a trophy.

That said, I would plan on sleeping in my truck or a simple base camp as opposed to a backpack in trip (or hotel if funds allow).  Unless you know the area pretty well, chances are you are going to cover some miles driving and glassing until you get on one that is on public you want to pursue.  With backpacking, you burn a half to full day getting in and another one getting out which starts to add up if you have to move once or twice.

Make sure you check out any BMA properties, they should show up on your On X map.  Some require reservations and other are just show up, sign in and hunt.  Don't get married to a particular place, if you aren't finding decent bucks, keep moving, there are tons of acres you can hunt.

Drive, glass, hike, glass, repeat as necessary.  Bring the best glass you can manage.  Bucks tend to tuck into places not visible from the road or they don't make it to be very old.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 01:57:07 PM »
It's not the liberal dump Washington has become  :dunno: that should be school enough right  :chuckle:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
Make sure you look at maps as the SE part has quite a bit of private unlike the NE which has a fair amount of BLM land
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:41:45 PM »
Awesome guys! Thanks so much for all the replies so far!
So I’ve got some good glass (10x50’s) and on a tripod I love them! I have a spotter, but I hate lugging it around. The 10x50’s should be alright I’m hoping.  I like the hunt mobile strategy too. I wasn’t planning to “pack in” anywhere as I’m Solo and the older I get the more paranoid about getting injured way back I become.. haha.
  So do you generally park somewhere and hike around ? Or do most guys drive around and glass from the road until they see one to go after?
   Man! -15 is no joke! Not sure I’ve ever been out when it’s that cold. Guess I’ll see what that’s like! Lol...
   And regarding the trophy class size deer, well, I really just want to experience a good hunt and having an actual chance at a deer or two.. I’m about the experience and the freezer being full for the most part. A bruiser would be just icing on the cake I suppose.
    Couldn’t agree more about studying maps! A few places I’ve hunted locally were tricky! Maps and Onx we’re both worth there weight in gold!
    Appreciating all the insight! Please keep it coming!!

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
We had 12 degrees the morning of the 21st and 70 the afternoon of the 23rd last year. Not sure I would want to be in the back of my truck if it hit -23 like it did on our hunt a few years back. :twocents:

Might take a look at the public lands in the breaks around fort peck reservoir. Lots of bucks and if ya dig around in some of the holes, some decent ones. Might take a look at the block management areas as well. Some require reservations & some are sign in at the gate.

Unless you are wanting a summer vacation I'm not sure a scout trip is necessary but it will help you know where your going before hand if nothing else. Good luck and you can pm with questions, I'd be glad to help where I can. :tup:

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 11:28:24 PM »
Big sky, $50,000 worth of silver coins off the side of I 90

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
It's not the liberal dump Washington has become  :dunno: that should be school enough right  :chuckle:
:yeah:
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »
We hunted last year for the first time and hope to get drawn this year. From what I've gathered, the people who see 20-30 4pts over the course of two days are driving and glassing a lot of land. If you hike land chances are you'd see fewer bucks because you're limited to how much ground you can cover.  This was our experience on day 1 on bma land.

Know where the public land is and know how you can access it. Some parcels are behind private land. Some roads into public land are covered in mud...I chickened out a few times and turned around because the road was 8" deep ruts and I'd lose control going faster than 10mph. But I never got stuck.

I wouldn't camp or sleep in the truck if you can afford it. The hotels we stayed in cost $60-70/night, if you split that with a buddy the cost is rather cheap.

Region 7 has the highest harvest rates for mulies.

Be able to shoot to 300 yards. They can see you from that far. You can try to sneak closer, and they will stay put for a while, but they know something is up.

Coming from WA, hunting MT was like being at game farm...there's animals everywhere.

If we get drawn, then we'll need going around mid November as well. Not sure where yet, but we should stay in contact and check in. PM me if interested.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 12:08:20 AM »
All great advise man! Thanks so much! I’ll shoot you a PM in the morning.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]