collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good places to buy horses?  (Read 21199 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Good places to buy horses?
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »
Awesome!!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Tjkride

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2018, 11:45:01 AM »
Ive unfortunately seen alot of doped up horses to get them to sell. I wont buy with out putting a good ride in unless I have a horse imported. Ive been lucky enough to spend my whole life with horses so Im not just buying blind. There are alot of nasty things people do to them to maoe them seem calm or hold themselves a certain way.
Practical accuracy and a packable rifle.
Blued steel and walnut is always better.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2018, 11:50:20 AM »
tag

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »
A couple of other fun places to go and check out some nice mules doing gaming, cow sorting, carts etc... is Hell's Canyon Mule Days in Enterprise, OR (Usually in Sept) and Montana Mule Days in June.  (Location varys from year to year.)
Fred Moyer

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
Feeding them BUTE. It's a heavy painkiller for horses and easy to get. Horse tranquilizer like Ketamine is used too.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2018, 12:39:21 PM »
Sounds like you know horses and all the tricks horse traders use ha ha! . We are involved in rodeo and a lot of horse stuff do a lot of Mountain riding etc  if you want to pm me I know a lot of horse people we could help you out being new to the area. We are in Idaho but know a lot of horse people in Washington. Warning there is a lot of unethical horse traders around and I don't think you would be fooled into buying one but you might get roped into some long drives to check out some real junk!   I know we could find a really good trail mountain horse not sure on 16 plus hands

Offline Slenk

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2018, 01:01:00 PM »
A couple of other fun places to go and check out some nice mules doing gaming, cow sorting, carts etc... is Hell's Canyon Mule Days in Enterprise, OR (Usually in Sept) and Montana Mule Days in June.  (Location varys from year to year.)

Fred
Head over to Rearden Washington the first Saturday of June . They have their Mule days.
http://www.reardanmuledays.net/

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »

Fred
Head over to Rearden Washington the first Saturday of June . They have their Mule days.
http://www.reardanmuledays.net/

Yep, I've ridden in that one, my mule club does it every year.  Normally though no one is selling mules, just riding them in the Parade and some years they also have Horse and Mule Gaming. 
Fred Moyer

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »
Jake Clark’s mule sale in June.

Lot's of good animals go through that sale, you just have to have a wallet big enough to play. :o 

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2018, 01:54:05 AM »

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »
Several years ago I went from being a horse owner to being a horse leasor...  :chuckle:

It's way easier to lease horses and not have to care for them year around, but there are times I miss not having horses available whenever I want them. I lease my horses from the same guy every year, usually get mostly the same horses year after year. He uses them all summer providing dude ranch horseback riding for mostly women and children in the mountains, I use them in the fall, I lease most of his bigger horses, perfect scenario for both of us. In the 20 years I've been leasing horses from him I've never had a horse buck. He buys horses from ranchers who are retiring, getting out of business, etc, horses that have been used a lot in the mountains.

In the last two years he has started buying Tennessee Walkers from somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee. They are spendy but extremely good horses and the gait is outstanding, so far I like the new horses he is buying.

If I were you I would look more into eastern WA, eastern OR, or southern ID to get horses that have been used a lot in the mountains. As with anything, especially horses, be careful what and from who you buy! There are lots of horse traders out there!  :chuckle:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2018, 02:53:32 PM »
Beautiful mules @Caseyd! My grandpa used to breed Appy mules.  He had two full leopard Appy broodmares and a Jack named Leo.  They made some beautiful foals! 

And I understand about wanting a tall horse, my horse-of-a-lifetime (now deceased) was a 17 hand AQHA blood bay, she was amazing and smooth as silk to ride!  I'll never have another one like her.  Good luck to the OP, sounds like you know what you're doing and will find a great horse.  Post a pic when you end up buying one!
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »
I had heard Gary Peters had stock for sale, not sure if he still does, one of my guides used to work for him and spoke highly of his stock.

http://ioga.org/outfitters/five-bears-outfitters
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Tjkride

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2018, 03:38:54 PM »
Well, I located a 4 year old Friesian mare Im guna go take a look at. Shes only been started under saddle, so I can tune her the way I prefer. She would look awful pretty with a nice black tail tied behind the saddle walkin out of the woods. :chuckle:
Practical accuracy and a packable rifle.
Blued steel and walnut is always better.

Offline mtncook

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
The Billings March 24th sale is offering 359 cataloged horses and mules. This is the annual Recreation Outfitter sale. I've bought 5 mules and 1 horse in the last 2 years. Going again this year.   Search Billings Horse Sale

mtncook

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU