collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help! Which boat do I want?  (Read 9316 times)

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Help! Which boat do I want?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:05 AM »
I would recommend a good handheld VHF if you are heading out in saltwater or around any shipping lanes.  It is a good emergency device to have for a little peace of mind and comes in handy for weather checks.

I vote no to the trolling motor on a boat that size.  With most of the newer engines you are fine at trolling speeds for prolonged periods.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »
I would recommend a good handheld VHF if you are heading out in saltwater or around any shipping lanes.  It is a good emergency device to have for a little peace of mind and comes in handy for weather checks.

They're not cheap, but this is a good idea if you can swing it.  If you ever find yourself in the salt out of cell coverage, it is a pretty important tool.  Here's mine - it lives in my "bug out" Pelican case and goes to shore with deckhands if I stay on the boat.  Hold a charge for a long time.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »

They're not cheap, but this is a good idea if you can swing it.  If you ever find yourself in the salt out of cell coverage, it is a pretty important tool.  Here's mine - it lives in my "bug out" Pelican case and goes to shore with deckhands if I stay on the boat.  Hold a charge for a long time.

Ha!  I have the same exact one. I also have a similar Standard Horizon that has worked very well. One note on battery powered radios, make sure you get a radio with a positive shutoff and not a live power button. The live power button models will drain a battery even if they are not powered on.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »

I vote no to the trolling motor on a boat that size.  With most of the newer engines you are fine at trolling speeds for prolonged periods.

Agreed, my 15 hp Yamaha 4 stroke, would idle at 0.5 mph, perfect Kokanee trolling speed, LOL

Swtchback you have some great Kokanee fishing 20 miles south of you.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2018, 09:49:31 PM »

Break/Break - Comin' into the locks!

Offline Switchback

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:04 PM »
Decided to just pony up and get a Lund, this is gonna be my boat for a while and I'm already compromising on size so it can fit in the garage.

Definitely will pick up a handheld VHF radio – seems like a good choice, especially for $150 or less.

And I'm pretty set on a trolling motor – I'll be using this a lot in lakes, and for walleye and bass. Love the Minn Kota iPilot series, the remote and gps route setting and spot lock are great features. But the saltwater one is $1,500 and the freshwater one is $1,000 – so I was wondering if you need a trolling motor for saltwater at all, or if I could just get the freshwater one and take it off when fishing the Sound. 25hp Yamaha on a 14' Lund, I'm not sure if the main motor will troll slow enough or not.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 06:52:46 PM »
For doing lake bass or Kokanee a trolling motor makes a bit of sense, but definitely not in SW. Your main should get you more than slow enough for any trolling.  Most motors now in the 25 hp class will idle at a dead slow speed without problem. If you are already getting the trolling motor I would not spring for the “saltwater” version, that typically only means a different color and a couple ss bolts. With as little as you will likely use it the SW will not be an issue, just make sure to rinse well with fresh water when done.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]