collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone have a Kubota BX series tractor?  (Read 4628 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Anyone have a Kubota BX series tractor?
« on: March 09, 2018, 03:31:44 PM »
Looking to buy a small tractor  just for home projects on our 5.5 acres. These small BX series look pretty good. want  to be able to use as a lawn mower, small bucket on the front and small backhoe. I see they have BX 18,23,25. Wondering if the 18 or 23 have enough power for small projects.

What do you have and do you ever with you had a size bigger with a couple more HP? Any other good options out there in the sub compact size trailer category?

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Anyone have a Kubota BX series tractor?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »
We just bought an L2501. I looked at the Bx but decided I wanted a little bit larger machine, I'll just save my pennies and add a backhoe down the road. So far I like it, we only have 3 acres right now but I wouldn't want much smaller. We don't mow with ours though

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
What’s your planned projects, are you pushing snow in the driveway, dragging logs, moving lots of dirt etc?
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 04:31:25 PM »
I do, BX2370 love it
I did not go with the backhoe model (BX25 last year) due to the cost of it i could not justify and if i need a backhoe i can rent a bigger machine and knock out whatever much faster.
I do have the 60in mower, Front loader which can move alot, Box blade, Small rear scraper blade, Landscape rake, 3pt hitch adapter, Homemade bucket forks, Homemade snowplow blade for the bucket and a few other projects for it in the works.
I mow around 2ac of lawn and it does it in half the time of my old 54inch rider.
If you are looking new then the BX23S is the backhoe model, if not then the BX2380 or move up to the BX2680 without a backhoe
Great little machines that will do alot and hold there value

Moving wood to the burn pile and 2 weeks later snow cleared the driveway  :)
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
The only thing really holding me off from getting a sub-compact mower (besides the price) is they have a lot of ground pressure and there's compaction issues, so pro's with high quality lawns don't use them because of this.

If you have irrigated lawn, or it's wet a lot and depending on your soil (vulnerable to compaction) then you need to be careful choosing a heavy mower.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 04:36:09 PM »
I do, BX2370 love it
I did not go with the backhoe model (BX25 last year) due to the cost of it i could not justify and if i need a backhoe i can rent a bigger machine and knock out whatever much faster.
I do have the 60in mower, Front loader which can move alot, Box blade, Small rear scraper blade, Landscape rake, 3pt hitch adapter, Homemade bucket forks, Homemade snowplow blade for the bucket and a few other projects for it in the works.
I mow around 2ac of lawn and it does it in half the time of my old 54inch rider.
If you are looking new then the BX23S is the backhoe model, if not then the BX2380 or move up to the BX2680 without a backhoe

Your not just slash biting that maple are you Buckmark? :yike:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
I do, BX2370 love it

Your not just slash biting that maple are you Buckmark? :yike:
Sorta kinda yes, have a large familly gathering coming up and we have a big bon fire so that is part of the pile (that is just one of 2 loads), no longer having a wood burner in the house i dont look at it the same way anymore  :chuckle:, i will be clearing some trees this spring and will be either selling real cheap if i buck it into firewwod size or giving away if i cut in into 6ft lengths.
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »
Gun club does

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 06:34:36 PM »
 Have had a BX23S since April of last year.  It does everything I need it to do. Hardest chore for it is digging stumps, so far though it has popped out 16” across stumps with some time working around it. I know someone on the OP running a tree farm cutting timber and skidding out logs with his.

It has saved my back and a ton of time on projects. Big enough to get the job done, small enough it can access almost anywhere.

I have the rototiller, post hole auger, and 48” box blade to go along with it and it has not hesitated once with any of them. Next on my list is a rock rake and hydraulic upper link for the 3pt.

Be careful though, all the mods and implements you will become addicted to can really take up a lot of gour time.

The picture is it being delivered last year.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 06:38:33 PM »
Ohhh, and the grandkids always want to go out on grandpa’s tractor...
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline SteelheadDC

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 07:48:14 PM »
How deep of hole can you dig with the backhoe?

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 08:49:53 PM »
Nice tractor.  Are the shackle pad eyes stadard or an add-on?

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 11:47:54 PM »
The BX series backhoes will be under powered for digging any stumps bigger than probably 10-12 inches.  I have a B7800 (30hp) and have dug out some pretty huge stumps.  Takes a while but it can be done.  I'm not totally familiar with the BX's, but try to get a backhoe that runs off the tractor hydraulics and not the PTO.  My neighbor has had many problems with the PTO driven backhoe.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 06:36:53 AM »
  The shackle, hooks are one of the add on mods I did along with the Pirahna toothbar on the bucket. It took 30 minutes, including rounding up the tools, to install them (Ken’s Bolt On Hooks). About the same for the tooth bar install (bxpanded.com)  which I have also gotten the straight bar for the times I want a smoother finish.

On the BX23S the backhoe runs off of the hydraulic system, not the PTO. You can dig to just over 6’ (the manual says 74.4”) , to dig a trench that deep for any distance though takes a lot of moving as you do not have the reach. I find realistically digging to 4’ is plenty with it for trenching without having to move too much.

Dropping the front end loader and backhoe off the tractor takes only a few minutes turning it into a dedicated mower without all the weight of the FEL and BH, saving soft areas from being damaged by the extra weight.  Putting them back on takes the same and is not a problem.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal