collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eld Inlet Duck Hunters - the truth  (Read 16196 times)

Offline wdlfbio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Eld Inlet Duck Hunters - the truth
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:32:19 PM »
There was an early thread about folks hunting Eld Inlet and residents upset about it, even wanting to get the area to be a no shooting zone.  A bit of speculation in the thread, so I thought I'd come on over and clarify everything.  I know the situation pretty well, as I'm the one that hunts the area.

As early as 3 years ago, the area had never been waterfowl hunted, to my knowledge or the knowledge of anyone we know in the area.  2 years ago, after tons of research, I found the area and found a private boat launch (owned by Taylor Shellfish). We found Taylor, knocked on his door and asked if we could use the launch.  Very, very kind folks that had no problem as long as we parked out of the way so they could get there rigs in when they needed.  That's the end of their involvement.

We hunted it a couple of times two seasons ago and a whopping 7-8 times this season.  We never shot at legal shooting time and almost always 1/2 hour after.  We usually hunt 3 layout boats, though we do bring out the duck boat once in a while.  We also have 2 setups we use and are VERY clear on where each person's shooting zone is. NO SHOTS are taken in a manner that we could rain on the shoreline and one pod is always set up nearest the shore such that the shooter can't even swing towards the shore.

Y'all know that the scoter limit is 4 per person.  There are some GE and buffs, but not enough to bother with.  So, we usually get our 4 scoter each and split.  I think we've only hunted until 1130 once.  Most times we're done before 1000. 

So, on the second hunt this season we get 3 residents complaining at 0720.  I stop my hunt and paddle over to one of them.  I meet him at his dock to discuss the situation.  He's POd, hollering that it's 0720 on a Saturday and it's 1 of 2 days off a week he gets.  I respond with well, we could have started at 0640, but we decided to wait to let folks sleep in.  And, just like you, we only get 1-2 days off a week ourselves.  Then he asks why can't we hunt up the way so as not to bother him.  I reply with what, and PO those folks.  That doesn't sound too fair to me.  Plus, I ask if he heard us last weekend.  "No", he says.  That's right, because we didn't hunt anywhere around here last week and never hunt the same area 2 weeks in a row just so we don't bother the same folks over and over. I also add that we wouldn't do this here either and he wouldn't hear us again for a couple of weeks.  I explained the season dates and limits and that we usually are in and out in a couple of hours and if it was possible, we'd hunt during the week rather than the weekend. 

A week or so later I get a call from Taylor Shellfish asking for a little info.  Turns out some local lady, Gayle, had 5 residents sign and affidavit that folks were out boating ducks and leaving them lay.  Absolute BS.  First off, that's impossible to do in a layout boat.  2nd, I ALWAYS called the local WDFW LE prior to us going out to let him know in case folks call.  3rd, I'm a federal Bio and there's no duck worth risking my career. 

At the end of the season, Steve Fir (FWS LE) gets my number and lets me know about Gayle and that she's all distressed about our hunting and the noise.  So, I actually call her to discuss the situation.  She's complaining about the noise and that they paid lots of money for their waterfront homes and high taxes and shouldn't have to listen to the noise.  So, I tell here how infrequently we hunt and that we do not shoot towards homes so there's no safety concern.  But, she's dead set on it's just too noisy and we shouldn't be allowed to hunt in an area open to hunting because they spent extra money to build there.  Sorry, but money doesn't make it right.  So, she asks if we're going to stop.  I politely inform her, no, but we'll focus on weekdays as much as possible so as not to wake most folks.  That's not good enough for her or some of the Griffin Neighborhood Association folks.  And now they're at the point where they're trying to get Thurston County Commissioners to declare the area a no shooting of no hunting zone and we're at the point of trying to stop them.  I've heard they will be attending the Commissioner's Meeting on 8 April at 2 or 3 pm to discuss the matter further.  I'm trying to get lawbiding hunters to attend, especially since I'll be stuck in Spokane teaching airport folks how to deter hazardous wildlife from using the airfield.

Again, other than Taylor letting us use their ramp, this has NOTHING to do with them, and even if they didn't want us hunting the area, it's still legal and we would just use the Boston Harbor ramp and have a much longer boat ride.  But, Gayle and some of the Griffin Neighborhood Association folks HATE Taylor and try to use anything they can to get at Taylor.  Kinda sad for a locally owned business that's been there for 120 years... :dunno:

Sincerely,

Laurence M. Schafer

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Eld Inlet Duck Hunters - the truth
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 06:21:04 AM »
Thanks for the full details.
This is exactly why I posted what I saw on tv.

Let us know how, and when to help or support you.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 06:27:57 AM »
Thanks for the info. You actually appear to be a responsible and considerate user of the area.

Makes me wonder if the guys that took 7 months to build her home did it real quiet, and didnt bother anyone....? 

I guess only the noise you make bothers people.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Skyhigh

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:18:15 AM »
Hi Laurence!
WE ARE NOT RELATED !!!

Offline Thenewguy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Not the newest new guy
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:47:33 PM »
Give me more info, i will try to go

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:15:54 PM »
thanks for the full story.  I would ask that question  suggested earlier - if they used extra discretion on the construction of their home as to not wake the neighbors?

Offline wdlfbio

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
The construction issue is one of the things I want to bring up in the commissioner's meeting.  I'd think that air compressors, nail guns, concrete trucks, chainsaws and dozers destroying wildlife habitat, etc are all far more long-term and intrusive than the few shots we take the 3-5 hours, 7-8 days a year we are there.  You're right, our noise must be the problem, and their noise is OK :dunno:

I'll keep y'all as informed as I can and would love to have as many folks present as possible.  It's tough when people don't fully understand things and make their conclusiions based on missing info, but it's completely another thing when folks outright mislead others to sway emotion.

BTW, this specific area absolutely stinks for seaducks... and no sane duck hunter would want to eat them anyway  :chuckle:

Howdy Skyhigh :hello:

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:55:20 AM »
How much do you want to bet they run a leaf blower for hours on end, each week at her place. Plus, I also bet some of her neighbors work nights and cant hear the shotgun, and are bothered by her leaf blower and mowers.

Noise is subjective.
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Skyhigh

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 06:32:44 AM »
Laurence,,

Make sure to swing by there on the 4th of July and get some footage of them shooting illegal fireworks..walk the beach and get footage of all the firework debris left behind..
WE ARE NOT RELATED !!!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 05:58:30 PM »
Laurence,,

Make sure to swing by there on the 4th of July and get some footage of them shooting illegal fireworks..walk the beach and get footage of all the firework debris left behind..

That is a very good idea.
First, how legal is it.
Second, how good is all that garbage for the environment.

sisu

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 06:45:55 PM »
Thank you.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
Laurence, I'm just catching this thread. I hunted Eld inlet for a couple of seasons about 5-6 years ago, using Taylors (buddy works for them) launch and Boston Harbor. There were a couple of days no-one said anything but there were a couple of days we were screamed and yelled at (can't repeat everything  :chuckle:) I hate to say we were ran off, but it wasn't worth the hassle and we just moved on.
 I am glad to see you aren't putting up with the people who think they own the bay. Like you we called before we went out and were told it was no problem.
 Steve

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 08:07:44 PM »
Might be a great way to use this new hunter harassment law. Video the landowner harassing you, then call the sheriff.
molṑn labé

Don't make me hurt you.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 08:36:01 PM »
Might be a great way to use this new hunter harassment law. Video the landowner harassing you, then call the sheriff.

OOOOOHHHHHH, that would be good!!   :)

Offline wdlfbio

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 11:15:11 PM »
I'm sure it will be up to the County Commissioners, but these ideas about leaf blowers and fire works are all very valid.  Things I'll have to bring up.  Yep, noise is very subjective.  One of my hunting partners moved to the inlet not quite 2 years ago and has a few new friends on the water.  Each has asked him how hunting was after we got done and I think one even enjoyed watching one morning 8Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has encountered this problem their.  And yes, I don't like the idea of money and the extreme minority getting to push their desires onto anyone else for essentially forever.  Granted, it happens all too often, but I think defending a national heritage and something that teaches people the value of wildlife, and food in general (not something already dead, cleaned, and waiting in cellophane at QFC), is worthwhile. 

Gayle was going to come out and harass us once.  She even told Steve Fir that, but then Steve informed her she would be illegally harassing us engaged in a legal activity and that she could be punished for it.  Dang.  She told me that and I let her know I'm glad he changed her mind, because I would have immediately contacted the sheriff (I've hosted a WSP officer out there once).

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]