collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Proposal to eliminate harvesting of cow elk for archery hunters in 8 game units  (Read 18528 times)

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman

Each group gets their allocation percentage based on percentage of hunters.  For example, archery is 27% of the elk hunters, so they get 27% of the harvest.  Muzzy is 11%, so they get 11%.  Firearm is 62% so they get 62%

So are the allocation percentages state wide or gmu specific.

I am just trying to figure out how that works.
So just for an example off of those numbers of wdfw wanted to harvest a 100 cows statewide or a specific gmu with a drawing than modern guys would apply for 67 cow tags muzzy 11 tags and archery 27 tags.
I am just using 100 as a easy example cause math isnt my strong point

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Thanks for bringing logic back into this discussion Shawn!  Folks like to forget about the agreed upon resource allocation.  I so wish I could be at the meeting on Friday but I couldn’t make it work with work schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
I need to know when and what I can hunt.!! This waiting till March to figure it out then not know till April is killing me.!! I need to put in vacation time. I won’t know if I draw a permit until end of may or first of June??? Why can’t all there meetings be in January or early February. Come on

Offline krapmit

• Scout
way more cows are killed in late season when they're herded up witin a few miles of the feed stations in the yakima-are units I hunt.  I don't see how eliminating cows early season archery but keeping it open late season makes sense?  Can someone elaborate for me?

With that said, there will be about 90% less pressure in early elk archery over there, so if you've got a bull tag and they hit the rut, it will be a damn good time!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Perhaps that is the primary reason- to decrease hunting pressure in those units during the early archery season.  :dunno:

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
So it's broken down state wide.  We try to be within 1-2% but there are fluctuations each year.  Then we look per district (not gmu).  Special permits are kind of a controversial topic.  Right now they are allocating them per user group by percentage of overall hunters.  The issue is, modern firearm are the most successful, then muzzy, then archery.  While the allocation of tags is by percentage, the actual take of elk is lower for archery and deer.  We need to get back to doing it by number of animals and make the harvest equal percentage of hunters. 

Each group gets their allocation percentage based on percentage of hunters.  For example, archery is 27% of the elk hunters, so they get 27% of the harvest.  Muzzy is 11%, so they get 11%.  Firearm is 62% so they get 62%

So are the allocation percentages state wide or gmu specific.

I am just trying to figure out how that works.
So just for an example off of those numbers of wdfw wanted to harvest a 100 cows statewide or a specific gmu with a drawing than modern guys would apply for 67 cow tags muzzy 11 tags and archery 27 tags.
I am just using 100 as a easy example cause math isnt my strong point

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
They haven't released the early vs late numbers to me but I've asked.  Most actually think archers are more successful early season but I get your logic also.  Neither season are killing many cows with only 150 taken in the 6 Yakima GMUs in early and late combined.

Shawn

way more cows are killed in late season when they're herded up witin a few miles of the feed stations in the yakima-are units I hunt.  I don't see how eliminating cows early season archery but keeping it open late season makes sense?  Can someone elaborate for me?

With that said, there will be about 90% less pressure in early elk archery over there, so if you've got a bull tag and they hit the rut, it will be a damn good time!

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • Nature Photography
Why would the archery pressure be the user group to be decreased?  There are other user groups that pressure them as well.  Wouldn't we decrease hunting pressure in the user group that is over allocated?

Shawn

Perhaps that is the primary reason- to decrease hunting pressure in those units during the early archery season.  :dunno:

Offline Buzz2401

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
I'm for eliminating antlerless elk harvest with a general archery tag.  But I do think they should be allotted some antlerless permits.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
I'm for eliminating antlerless elk harvest with a general archery tag.  But I do think they should be allotted some antlerless permits.

What's your logic out of curiosity?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Why would the archery pressure be the user group to be decreased?  There are other user groups that pressure them as well.  Wouldn't we decrease hunting pressure in the user group that is over allocated?

Shawn

I would guess you know the answer after the meeting over the weekend. 

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
Has anyone else read the agenda from this past weekend yet?  They basically made zero adjustments to the lost opportunity for archers in the Yakima herd.  They threw up to 20 cow permits at each unit but that is it.  MF has more opportunity than archers do in most of the units.  They also cut the quality bull permits in half across all units.

Going to be very few hunters hunting south of 90 in the cascades this year.

Interesting to note 80% of the comments to the changes in elk season were opposed.  Oh and they haven’t counted the elk yet but they “feel” the herd is under objective.  Gut feel is great biology!

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
What's the issue? Modern and muzzleloader have the same spike only season.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
They should eliminate cow elk harvest statewide.  Maybe after 6-10 years WA could have a decent elk population? 

Plus the wolves need more food...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand