collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Proposal to eliminate harvesting of cow elk for archery hunters in 8 game units  (Read 18534 times)

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
What's the issue? Modern and muzzleloader have the same spike only season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if the biologists feel that the herd isn’t doing well then why allow cow permits for any user group? Doesn’t seem like they are doing what is the best for the herd. Eliminate cows across the herd and let it rebound.

My guess the herd is fairing pretty well this winter and the take of cows was down substantially do to fires and lack of animals due to issuing to many cow tags to modern and muzzy seasons.

Offline SuperX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
why not make it 3pt or better state wide, add cow permits to manage specific herds and areas, and not sweat the blood bath the bulls will take first couple years?  In the long run we'll have many more elk.  It's a method proven to work in places where the goal is to increase the herd (and not the revenue).

Offline bolsen

• logger
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
Better yet, make the whole state a draw. For cows, spikes, and branched bulls. Actually manage each unit for the shape it’s in. Some tags make unlimited, for the people who just want to meat hunt. That would greatly increase the odds for drawing trophy units. And get rid of the east/west tag.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
Not all GMUs are hurting.  Why would you eliminate cow elk hunting if there is no resource issue?  If the herd is hurting, which we don't know because they haven't done a census, then cuts across the board according to resource allocation is the method to be utilized.  Getting away from that will cause fighting among user groups like we have seen in the past.

While muzzy and firearm don't have a general season for cows, they get permits and are successful on them given the range and inherent advantages those weapons pose.  Archery gets no permits and has a general season.  In the end, it doesn't make a difference, only how many are killed and do they meet the quota or allocation for each user group.  If there are no cows to be had, nobody gets them.  It's really just simple math, but maybe not as simple to WDFW in this proposal.  It lacks statistical logic and moves away from resource allocation, something we have adhered to for 20+ years.

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman

I really have to bite my tongue on everyone of your posts.  I was taught if I can’t say anything nice then keep it to yourself so I will.

Obviously I know where you come from on this... you are loving the surge in MF opportunity vs.  all others.  Great. Good for you.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline gasman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
And people questioned my earlier comment  :bash: :bash: :bash:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68

I really have to bite my tongue on everyone of your posts.  I was taught if I can’t say anything nice then keep it to yourself so I will.

Obviously I know where you come from on this... you are loving the surge in MF opportunity vs.  all others.  Great. Good for you.

Why bite your tongue? It was an honest question. IMO all cow elk hunting should be by permit only. That way the elk can be properly managed. I've sent many comments to the WDFW over the years asking for just this. And by the way, I hunt archery, muzzleloader, and modern firearm. Not sure why you thought I only care about modern firearm seasons.

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
From info I received, the early archery season has a change to it. To my understanding, they adopted to the following; (for the Yakima units,  minus the  clockum area)

Sept 8 to 14 spike only.
Sept 15 to 20, spike and cow.

Is this not the case?
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
I like that idea,  :yeah: Would like to see it in the clok. too.
Give some time to hunt elk(even if only spikes) before the masses come in(For cows)
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
From info I received, the early archery season has a change to it. To my understanding, they adopted to the following; (for the Yakima units,  minus the  clockum area)

Sept 8 to 14 spike only.
Sept 15 to 20, spike and cow.

Is this not the case?
I wasn’t at the meeting but that wasn’t proposed by Jerry Nelson in his prepared presentation.  I did see reference to that in suggested proposals from the gathered public input online.

The proposal as printed was only 20 or less cow tags for each unit with same spike only general season.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
It really blows my mind the number of people on here who want everything to go to permit only. Don't worry eventually it will. But until then feel free to go go hunt elk in AZ, CA, or UT once every decade.
There shouldn't be this issue with anterless hunting, but due to lack of predator management we are in this situation.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline atfulldraw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
It really blows my mind the number of people on here who want everything to go to permit only. Don't worry eventually it will. But until then feel free to go go hunt elk in AZ, CA, or UT once every decade.
There shouldn't be this issue with anterless hunting, but due to lack of predator management we are in this situation.
:yeah:

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography

So permit hunts only guys...  You want to displace 5k hunters in these 8 gmu's for 170 permits...  Where do you think those other 4800 archers will go?  Crowd other units and cause resource issues?  Not buy and go to another state?  Be careful what you wish for.  You'll be fixing other seasons for years to counteract this change with the problems it creates.  The cows taken in a general archery season is a rather predictable small number but it gives huge opportunity for 5k people.  Opportunity is what people want.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member

So permit hunts only guys...  You want to displace 5k hunters in these 8 gmu's for 170 permits...  Where do you think those other 4800 archers will go?  Crowd other units and cause resource issues?  Not buy and go to another state?  Be careful what you wish for.  You'll be fixing other seasons for years to counteract this change with the problems it creates.  The cows taken in a general archery season is a rather predictable small number but it gives huge opportunity for 5k people.  Opportunity is what people want.
BOOM!  Exactly!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman

Yep.  Well said Shawn.

@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY