collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long range for beginners  (Read 60688 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
Re: Long range for beginners
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2018, 06:17:26 PM »
Do you neck down your brass @yorketransport

Yes, it's a simple one pass operation. I take 375 Ruger cases and run them into a 338 RCM die that's been adjusted to just kiss the shoulder. If I need to full length size the cases I just run them into a 375 Ruger FL die. I turn my necks just enough to clean them up, but my reamer cuts a no turn chamber.
can you share the specs of your reamer?
Do you neck down your brass @yorketransport

Yes, it's a simple one pass operation. I take 375 Ruger cases and run them into a 338 RCM die that's been adjusted to just kiss the shoulder. If I need to full length size the cases I just run them into a 375 Ruger FL die. I turn my necks just enough to clean them up, but my reamer cuts a no turn chamber.
can you share the specs of your reamer?

I'll dig through the pile 'o prints and see if I can find it.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2018, 05:44:15 AM »
Thank you sir.

Let's talk about equipment.

Rests
  Bipod vs bags
What do you prefer and why?   I am running bipod in the front and bag in the rear.  This seams to work best for me.  I have used my pack for front rest but I think I prefer the bipod.  Disclaimer: I have never used any bags made for shooting
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »
I couldn't find my copy of the reamer print but here's the chamber portion of the QuickDesign spec sheet. I can send you the pdf of the full spec sheet too if you want it. This will match the PTG reamer marked 338/375 Ruger. If you ever want to use my reamer just let me know. :tup:

For gear I still like my Harris bipods. I've used the Atlas but they just feel like they're going to break. My favorite rear bags if I'm not hiking too far are 25# shot bags filled with cat litter. If I have to hike in a ways I'll just use my sweatshirt or something balled up under the toe of the stock.

Be sure to zero your gun using whatever gear you'll use in the field too. If I zero a rifle off of a bipod on the bench I'll hit somewhere completely different when shooting prone. With the specialty pistols I have to use the same rear bag or else my zero may be off by more than an inch at 100 yards.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2018, 07:33:47 PM »
Thank you. Pm sent
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »
This thread is full of good info!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2018, 04:32:11 AM »
Thank you sir.

Rests
  Bipod vs bags
What do you prefer and why?   I am running bipod in the front and bag in the rear.  This seams to work best for me.  I have used my pack for front rest but I think I prefer the bipod.  Disclaimer: I have never used any bags made for shooting

I like a bipod if I am shooting of dirt, off a wood or concrete they seem to bounce a little. I use a LaRue. I have two bags, one for the front when I am not using a bipod usually place on top of a pack and one for the rear. Both are exactly the same, a military boot sock filled with ~5000 airsoft pellets, sock tied and then fold over itself creating two layers of fabric. I have a video if you guys are interested.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2018, 05:11:45 AM »
Thank you sir.

Rests
  Bipod vs bags

I like a bipod if I am shooting of dirt, off a wood or concrete they seem to bounce a little. I use a LaRue. I have two bags, one for the front when I am not using a bipod usually place on top of a pack and one for the rear. Both are exactly the same, a military boot sock filled with ~5000 airsoft pellets, sock tied and then fold over itself creating two layers of fabric. I have a video if you guys are interested.
lol my bag is also a sock but filled with barely......run what ya brung

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2018, 09:51:16 AM »
Thank you sir.

Rests
  Bipod vs bags

lol my bag is also a sock but filled with barely......run what ya brung
I went pellets because I want something water proof and they ended up being super light, just make sure they aren't the biodegradable kind.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
I'll prob switch mine to corse sand when the ground does out better. We got tons of corse sand at the farm. I like free filling lol.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2018, 05:25:51 PM »
Let's see some target stands.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2018, 05:44:53 PM »
mine are out but i do want to ask,What size is common?

100 200 300 ----------------------- 1000 yards.or does everyone just go with so many moa?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2018, 06:58:22 PM »
Right now I only have a few. Paper at 100,chest  size steel at 400 and a 3"x3 1/2" at 400 and 10" at 735.  I'll take some pics Saturday

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »
Wasn't able to get pics today. I picked up a novagrade phone scope and though I was getting great video at 735 but phone died right as I was getting behind the rifle.   Phone dies fast when it gets cold!!!  Likening the phone scope except it's kinda heavy.

Offline yorketransport

• Frontiersman
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2018, 06:48:38 PM »

I use one of the Cloudbreak Design target stands when I set up a gong. My typical target stand is the rock face or dirt bank that I'm shooting at though. :chuckle:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »

I use one of the Cloudbreak Design target stands when I set up a gong. My typical target stand is the rock face or dirt bank that I'm shooting at though. :chuckle:

:yeah: rocks are cheap and easy when available. Lots of rocks even show hits pretty decent
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 08:06:15 AM by Jonathan_S »
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]