collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Zinke: Too Many People Enter Federal Lands for Free  (Read 8672 times)

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Zinke: Too Many People Enter Federal Lands for Free
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
The HUGE problem with anything "federal"--USFS, Parks, BLM--is that process and overhead eat money like a hog at a trough.  Imagine that a park has an old building that needs a new roof.  A normal business calls in a few contractors, gets some bids, and BINGO in a few weeks there is a new roof with one county permit.

Now, imagine the process for fixing the same roof in a National Park! Environmental analysis, public comment, alphabet soup of regulations, then if that building is over 50 years old--watch out--a whole new process of historic structures with a whole new slate of regulations.  No wonder nothing gets done.  Multiply that process by every road, trail, outhouse, viewpoint, bridge...you get the picture.  I actually get letters in the mail detailing simple USFS maintenance proposals like removing a few tress that are blocking a viewpoint, asking for comment and outlining the whole regulation process moving forward.  EEEKKKK.

There should be no new fees or fee increases unless they reduce the process burden on the ground first.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2018, 10:32:58 AM »
The HUGE problem with anything "federal"--USFS, Parks, BLM--is that process and overhead eat money like a hog at a trough.  Imagine that a park has an old building that needs a new roof.  A normal business calls in a few contractors, gets some bids, and BINGO in a few weeks there is a new roof with one county permit.

Now, imagine the process for fixing the same roof in a National Park! Environmental analysis, public comment, alphabet soup of regulations, then if that building is over 50 years old--watch out--a whole new process of historic structures with a whole new slate of regulations.  No wonder nothing gets done.  Multiply that process by every road, trail, outhouse, viewpoint, bridge...you get the picture.  I actually get letters in the mail detailing simple USFS maintenance proposals like removing a few tress that are blocking a viewpoint, asking for comment and outlining the whole regulation process moving forward.  EEEKKKK.

There should be no new fees or fee increases unless they reduce the process burden on the ground first.
And who mandates these reviews/studies? Congress

People like to lay blame at the agencies for doing it but they're just following the law. Believe me, if they didn't have to spend all the time and money on the studies they wouldn't. But when Congress consistently puts out vague laws like NEPA they end up forced to having to follow them.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
Well lets hope this administration eliminates a lot of those stumbling blocks!!
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
Congress has to do it, not the administration.

Offline olyguy79

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
The difference between the state and national park issue is they get a different type of visitor. The typical state parks visitor is someone local or from within the state. Nobody from Florida is going to travel to WA just to go to Potholes Reservoir or Deception Pass state parks. But for National Parks you get locals, people from the other side of the country, and international travelers. That family from Florida may very well travel to Rainier, Olympic, etc. That's why they can keep raising the federal lands fees and not have an issue, but the state side is sticky.

Offline fireweed

• Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »
Congress has to do it, not the administration.

Then the administration (or the agencies themselves) can send congress a list of all the over-the-top regs that need repealed before any fee increase or budget increase.  Part of the problem has been lawsuits by mostly environmental groups trying to slow down or stop any action by using these laws as weapons.  Fixing a road has become a political weapon and a nightmare of inefficiency.  Look at the Cispus washout--which took years to fix, when the local loggers were offering do it immediately, for FREE, with essentially the same end result. 

Offline logger

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
boy I could go on forever, my experince is with the f.s only, first thing they could do is do away with nepa, re write the current contracts without all the hoops to jump through and that alone would increase their stumpage value overnight, Way to many people on the payroll doing zero! And the ones that are trying to get things done run into constant push back, years to lay out a simple timber sale, helocopter required logging on units on units that have a road right through the middle of it. I don't have enough time in the day to go over the contunial waste I see everyday of people who just march to their own drum with no repercussions for productivity, not all are that way but the vast majority
go ahead on er.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2018, 01:21:07 PM »
boy I could go on forever, my experince is with the f.s only, first thing they could do is do away with nepa, re write the current contracts without all the hoops to jump through and that alone would increase their stumpage value overnight, Way to many people on the payroll doing zero! And the ones that are trying to get things done run into constant push back, years to lay out a simple timber sale, helocopter required logging on units on units that have a road right through the middle of it. I don't have enough time in the day to go over the contunial waste I see everyday of people who just march to their own drum with no repercussions for productivity, not all are that way but the vast majority
NEPA applies to all federal agencies. It was a good idea by Congress but was written so vaguely that now every single action fed lands ranging from putting up a new sign to a timber sale has to go thru NEPA analysis.

Still waiting for Congress to do something on NEPA decades after it was enacted...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand