collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho Spring Bear. Some basic questions.  (Read 3532 times)

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Idaho Spring Bear. Some basic questions.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 01:01:18 PM »
Pretty hard to run a bait site from out of state I’d think ( for most anyway) unless you just land right on them wanting to come in during shooting hours it takes some time to get them patterned and even for them to work out a pecking order of when there hitting the bait. Not to mention keeping it baited up to keep them coming back. I’ll start a bait and check cams and rebait for a few weeks before it’s ready to hunt.

:yeah: last time I did it it was a 2-3 times per week endeavor. I was going in and out in the dark most times. I am still contemplating doing it again but dang near $400 said and done not including bait or other costs. Bait sites definitely need some thought as well so you don’t have hounds running off your baits.  :twocents:
It is a blast doin tho! And plenty of the bear bait ended up in my belly.  :chuckle:

Feeding bears can start to feel like a full time job :chuckle: especially if you have a good one with a fair number of bears on it. We do it every year almost out of habit but I don't think I would if I had to travel any distance at all to maintain it. Going in and out at late hours usually just pushes your bigger bears too come in even later which adds to the challenge of keeping one stocked but doing it at the right time.  If you have to bait into the night you will probably still get a daytime bear but usually one of the smaller ones. A lot of new baiters run baits far enough from the road to avoid hounds but don't realize where they are pulling the bears from and the bears have to cross a road to get to the bait. End result is the bears you are feeding still get ran by hounds.  I don't run of peoples baits if I know they are there unless I don't like you  :chuckle: But I have ran a more than a few off the road that were going to a bait I did not realize was there until later   

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 02:09:45 PM »
TAG

I've been wanting to start out of state hunting, so fed up with this crap here at home  :bash:  I've been a staunch "make WA great again" for hunting anyways, but I'm about to give it up.

HUNT LICENSE   $154.75   
BEAR TAG          $186.00

add some optional bling

OPT BAIT FEE     $31.75
HOUND FEE      $169.75

You have to apply for a statewide hound permit in Dec for the following year.  They only issue 70 non-resident hound permits a year.  Units 10 and 12 and a few other wilderness units are over the counter hound permits.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 02:14:15 PM »
Well, after about 10 minutes in the WA Spring Bear Loser Lounge, I asked my wife about Idaho (with the promise of letting her and the kids stay in Coeur d'Alene   :) ) and I got approval!  Wahoo!!

I am thinking,

(1) hunting in early June for 5-6 days  Should be good to go this time of the year

(2) in unit 4  Good area, very thick, hard to glass in most areas, but not impossible.  Considering any other units?

(3) getting two bear tags  I would for sure go with one in the beginning

(4) spot and stalk (No Bait, Just Bears :)Will be tough, but not out of the question

Any problems with this plan?  Any suggestions?  Cost is a major factor.

I have never hunted in Idaho before and so I would really appreciate any advice, either here or by PM.
Thanks!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline buglebrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »
Go later this year.  I wouldn't go before the middle of May at the earliest.  Reduced price units are awesome.  You can get two bear tags for less than $100 bucks, and they are also the better areas to scout for Elk.  Win win.  Now go kill some calf killers!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal