collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018 HALIBUT SEASON  (Read 4620 times)

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
2018 HALIBUT SEASON
« on: March 19, 2018, 12:59:11 PM »
Does anyone have the actual dates? I have seen the opener as may 11th , does anyone know if that's correct? I have also seen quotas ranging from 44,000 pounds up to 111,000 ?? I rounded up to the nearest thousand !! Are those quotas mixed with the commercial guys? I ain't trying to pick on the commercial guys but I sure hope it isn't mixed together!! We sportsman are getting hosed if you haven't noticed!! Also are any of you guys going out for the opener or just hanging up the halibut rods for Washington waters? If this season is a flop like last years it will be my last year buying a Washington fishing license!! Thanks in advance for any info :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline Viking360

• Hunter
Re: 2018 HALIBUT SEASON
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
https://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/halibut/pugetsound.html

ill be out for the opener! limited our boat the last 2 years.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »
That didn’t take long Brandon !
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:58:08 PM »
Thanks, those are the dates I found but then I found something else that said the dates have been changed and we would have only four days in mayand the rest were cancelled? We won't get out until the second day, we did ok last year , nothing over 25 pounds but I did get my first black cod !! Best damn fish ever :chuckle:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Nets go down 12AM the 24th.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
No Hali rodeo show for us this year, booked 2 days on a charter out of Vancouver Island instead. Very much looking forward to avoiding the Neah/La Push mad house of long lines and crowds. Just hoping for a decent weather window. Good luck out there all!
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline WSU

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
See you all the 11th through the 13th.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
Mfowl,

Kinda funny.  We did the Neah Bay zoo for 2 years on our boat.  We did well, limiting every day.  But it was outrageously expensive, paying for a cabin and the 2 MPG the boat gets. Sometimes 100 plus miles a day.  We're going back to where we spent our honeymoon next year and are going to do the charter thing on Vancouver Island.  Can you PM me with the charter you're using?  Just trying to get some ideas.

NRA
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
Just ordered 600 feet of rope, can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
No Hali rodeo show for us this year, booked 2 days on a charter out of Vancouver Island instead. Very much looking forward to avoiding the Neah/La Push mad house of long lines and crowds. Just hoping for a decent weather window. Good luck out there all!
Which charter? Wouldn't mind doing a trip with my wife. Even though we live in Port Angeles we don't have a boat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 03:14:02 PM »
Mfowl,

Kinda funny.  We did the Neah Bay zoo for 2 years on our boat.  We did well, limiting every day.  But it was outrageously expensive, paying for a cabin and the 2 MPG the boat gets. Sometimes 100 plus miles a day.  We're going back to where we spent our honeymoon next year and are going to do the charter thing on Vancouver Island.  Can you PM me with the charter you're using?  Just trying to get some ideas.

NRA

PM sent.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »
Anyone have a moorage they aren't using for the opening weekend?

Offline Mfowl

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 03:25:29 PM »
Which charter? Wouldn't mind doing a trip with my wife. Even though we live in Port Angeles we don't have a boat.

Jolly Roger Sportfishing out of Port Renfrew. Would be an easy trip for you from PA. 2 hours west of Victoria. There are several charters in Port Renfrew and even more in Tofino but that is a considerable drive from Victoria.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
Incase you guys haven't heard big salmon resort in neah bay jacked their moorage rates up, I know guys that have been going there for years that are done, they don't want a thing to do with neah bay anymore!! They are all going out of Westport now!!

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
Hey guys. For those of you saying you are going to fish Canada. If my memory serves correctly you can only bring back 2 days of limits per person. Alaska would be a better option to maximize your money on fish you bring home. Just my  :twocents:

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 08:41:57 PM »
Hey guys. For those of you saying you are going to fish Canada. If my memory serves correctly you can only bring back 2 days of limits per person. Alaska would be a better option to maximize your money on fish you bring home. Just my  :twocents:

Except Canada is only a 30 minute run if you in the strait.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 03:08:28 PM »

Except Canada is only a 30 minute run if you in the strait.
True but some of these people are planning more than a single or 2 day trip. IMO, and its just that.. my opinion, If someone wants to do a 4-7 day long fishing trip then going to Alaska is much more worth it that going to Canada.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »
How much fish can you realistically eat? My wife and I brought home almost exactly 150 lbs of salmon and halibut fillets last summer and will have a real hard time eating it all by the summer.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »
How much fish can you realistically eat? My wife and I brought home almost exactly 150 lbs of salmon and halibut fillets last summer and will have a real hard time eating it all by the summer.
you need more friends!  Lol!  Just kidding, I can't keep my wife from giving it away!!  :bash:

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 03:42:24 PM »
We gives away quite a bit.  I keep it hidden amongst my 3 freezers!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 03:44:35 PM »

We gives away quite a bit.  I keep it hidden amongst my 3 freezers!
  :tup:

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 04:59:45 PM »
When I lived in Ketchikan about 5 years ago, my parents came up for a couple weeks. Sent them home with a large chest freezer full of salmon, halibut, and various rockfish. Sent my inlaws home with 100 lbs of salmon, 200 lbs of halibut, and probably 150+ lbs of rockfish also. Then we came back with about the same. We ran out of all of that fish within about 8-10 months. All vacuum sealed! That doesn't include all the fish we ate while we were up there. We ran out of fish about 8-10 months after we got back. If we have fish we eat it a lot.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 07:19:06 PM »
That’s well over a pound a day. We don’t go through it at nearly that rate.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:25 PM »
we smoke a LOT of salmon. We also do big get togethers and make huge amounts of food... probably due to the fact that my family is mainly Norweigan and we LOVE seafood! Smoked salmon dip is always a big hit at get togethers. Then we do at least one whole salmon filet and deep fry a ton of rockfish and halibut. Leftovers go home with friends and family and we munch on it for the next day or 2. A smoked salmon sandwich, made like you would a tuna sandwich, is a really nice meal while up hunting deer, elk, and bears also!

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »
we smoke a LOT of salmon. We also do big get togethers and make huge amounts of food... probably due to the fact that my family is mainly Norweigan and we LOVE seafood! Smoked salmon dip is always a big hit at get togethers. Then we do at least one whole salmon filet and deep fry a ton of rockfish and halibut. Leftovers go home with friends and family and we munch on it for the next day or 2. A smoked salmon sandwich, made like you would a tuna sandwich, is a really nice meal while up hunting deer, elk, and bears also!
Hell yea. Smoke salmon tuna sandwich style is one of my go to sandies. Right up there with shaved deer heart on rye!

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 08:56:09 PM »
Hell yea. Smoke salmon tuna sandwich style is one of my go to sandies. Right up there with shaved deer heart on rye!

You should try smoked salmon dip man.. cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, dill, garlic, lemon juice, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, little salt and pepper. I can make a big bowl of it and at parties its gone in half an hour. We got a bit off topic... sorry... and now I'm hungry and need to go fishing again lol!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »

You should try smoked salmon dip man.. cream cheese, mayo, sour cream, dill, garlic, lemon juice, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, little salt and pepper. I can make a big bowl of it and at parties its gone in half an hour. We got a bit off topic... sorry... and now I'm hungry and need to go fishing again lol!

Love salmon dip! I take flat bread and spread garlic olive oil on both sides and Johnny's garlic Seasoning, then throw it on the grill until toasty. Cut into small wedges, spread with salmon dip, yum!
Our dip is cream cheese, cayenne pepper, cumin, Gallic, and smoked salmon whipped up. Then we add more smoked salmon chunks so you get chunks in every bite.
We usually have to make two batches because we like a nice heat to it, but a lot of guests or other family do not like the heat, but love the dip.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand