collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bow season vs other seasons  (Read 10404 times)

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: bow hunters vs other hunters
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 03:34:40 PM »
No one is blaming archery,get over yourself.All we are saying is it could be the reason for the change.As per popeshawnpauls statement of which i agree with. If you would read these posts you would know that.Now,you are obviously trying to cause trouble with this by misquoting what is being said.yes all groups keep the elk running.DUH.What is being said is archery gets it started.they are first.It starts somewhere every year.this year it will not be archery if the wdfw does what they plan this year.

Answer my question.Do you hunt any other weapon than archery for elk?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 03:37:38 PM »
Yet another useless thread pops up on the forum.  Let me sum this up....I want to b!&@h.....then I want to argue with everyone that has a different perspective. 

I guess for entertainment value, I will tag with my response so I know which members are completely disconnected from reality.   :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 03:39:49 PM »
No one is blaming archery,get over yourself.All we are saying is it could be the reason for the change.As per popeshawnpauls statement of which i agree with. If you would read these posts you would know that.Now,you are obviously trying to cause trouble with this by misquoting what is being said.yes all groups keep the elk running.DUH.What is being said is archery gets it started.they are first.It starts somewhere every year.this year it will not be archery if the wdfw does what they plan this year.

Answer my question.Do you hunt any other weapon than archery for elk?

I responded to elkcamp's comment directly with my last comment. As for your question, yes, I have hunted all three weapons for elk but not sure why that applies here. I chose long ago that I prefer archery because of the reasons I listed earlier, at least in eastern wa. I have never hunted elk in western and don't plan to.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »
sorry,i did not ask you if you have hunted i asked if you do as in still.and if you chose LONG AGO to archery,Then what do you know about it anyway.If you don't rifle hunt or muzzy hunt elk then you have no idea what it takes to do so any more.ARCHERY IS STILL THE HARDEST as if that still needs to be said.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2018, 03:42:40 PM »
sorry,i did not ask you if you have hunted i asked if you do as in still.

Not in Washington but I have in other states as recently as like 2-3 years ago. 95% of elk is archery, deer is about 50/50 depending on where I am going.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2018, 04:49:00 PM »
I guess I am unclear what the issue is? Is the issue that the overall antlerless take needs reduced? Or that bowhunters in early season create undue pressure ruining later season opportunities?

If the overall take needs reduced then eliminate archery general and go permit only, reworking special permits in other categories/weapons to balance it out. ( Perhaps I am not reading the stats correctly, but it looks like there is opportunity and take for the other weapons as well?)

Archery has always enjoyed the advantage of going first. Common sense would dictate that if the goal is animal conservation starting seasons off with the least effective method would be logical as the animals adapt to hunter pressure while keeping harvest to a minimum. Since the most vocal proponents have stated they hunt multiple weapons and seasons I guess I dont see what the problem is. Unless they are not giving the whole truth :chuckle:

A sidenote: I notice in many of these threads that the discussion often turns into a question of "whats the most challenging". With bowhunters touting weapon hindrance, and other user groups holding strong to the season disadvantage. In these discussions it seems like the individuals success seems to be a springboard for the reason why X is not as challenging as Y. I will say just because something is more challenging doesn't mean there are not plenty of folks who rise to said challenge and are successful regardless. Success doesn't mean that whatever method was used was not a challenge.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
I agree with all of this even though i myself am guilty of some that is said in it.There is no problem with this change at all in my opinion.Still all user groups get the opportunity to hunt.

The point is that every time something like this happens some are too quick to come out and say why us why not them,Or mf has the best equipment to get a harvest.Like i said i hunt all weapons but lets look at all of it openly.
1)Archery first to go out.
2)archery has early,and gen late season.
3)no pumpkin patch.
4)no gunshot scaring herd off for miles.
5)no hunter orange required.

Muzzy
1)no hunter orange required
2)peak rut
3)Less hunters
4)with my inline long range i can easily take an elk at 200 - 250 yards confidently.

MF.

1)longer shots(if the elk are still around)

Did i miss anything?Every group has it's challenges as has been pointed out several times over the past 2-3 decades.To try and take from another group because it's archery's turn to take a backseat is childish at best.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2018, 06:24:37 PM »
I am in the woods every single week from August through November and I can tell you it is mainly the end of the rut and the starting of Modern firearm season that gets the animals the most scared where I hunt. I have had the privilege to be apart of quite a few hunts with people that had Any Bull(not quality) tags on the eastside and the first few days of those season are usually spectacular until the onslaught of people show up for the general tag.  I think bow hunters have been spoiled lately.  There equipment has advanced so much that many are taking longer shots and shots at angles that in the past would have been taboo.  I agree with getting rid of the general antlerless season but do believe they should be alotted their fair share of the antlerless permits.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2018, 06:32:21 PM »
They do get their fair share as you put it.RATIO.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
Re: Bow season vs other seasons
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
You can really say that every user group pushed the elk around.  Why single one user group at the expense of resource allocation?  You could also say that about almost any unit, when the hunting season starts the animals go to safe places and private land.  Does that mean we stop hunting?  Will the elk still be pushed out by spike and antlerless permit hunters?  I doubt making that change would change much.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
As an archery hunter, I say close down muzzy and modern seasons completely. More animals will survive and I won’t have to hear the sniveling about how archery ran all the animals off. My camp has yours beat on years of experience so our conclusions, I guess, would override yours.

Sounds to me like that would solve the problem.
:bdid:What an ignorant comment! You might as well say shut down all hunting season. Then where would that get us? 
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline JKEEN33

• Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2018, 12:48:18 PM »
As an archery hunter, I say close down muzzy and modern seasons completely. More animals will survive and I won’t have to hear the sniveling about how archery ran all the animals off. My camp has yours beat on years of experience so our conclusions, I guess, would override yours.

:bdid:What an ignorant comment! You might as well say shut down all hunting season. Then where would that get us?

As already stated this was a sarcastic comment geared at the original post, but is obviously lost on this site. Enough explaining from me. Done with the moronic site.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2018, 03:59:19 PM »

As already stated this was a sarcastic comment geared at the original post, but is obviously lost on this site. Enough explaining from me. Done with the moronic site.

FWIW- I could tell from your first post you were being sarcastic. Maybe people are reacting to the OP's post and arent't reading the responses in the correct state of mind?
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline bigbullshedhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »

Offline bigbullshedhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »

[/quote

I would have to say there would be more wounded animals with bow than a rifle.  Average hunter would be dealing with more factors to interfere with the shot unlike a hunter who is as skilled as you are.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal