collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 209 Primers  (Read 7888 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: 209 Primers
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »
If there is a more reliable setup I'm more than happy to spend the money to buy one.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »
If there is a more reliable setup I'm more than happy to spend the money to buy one.

For your CVA - I really believe the 209 primer system is far better than the percussion cap system.  Remember the CVA's are built as 209 rifles and then changes in the firing pin assembly are made to be able to shoot caps... For myself only - I question the strength of the firing pin spring that they use internally.  It works way more than it fails - but why is it when you need it to go off it sometimes might fail.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline MikeC

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
So just looking at the different option on the knight website I am seeing 3 different versions, are all of them legal? Bare 209 primer, full plastic jacket, and nitride 209?
Also wondering about the Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader? I'm keeping my Bighorn set up for #11 So I'm wanting to shop around for the best bang for the buck and also an upgrade from the Bighorn. Pretty sure I'll be drawing a quality tag  :chuckle:  :chuckle:

Offline KB88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »
I contacted cva for parts to convert my buckhorn and they gave me the short and sweet reply of NLA... thanks

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 02:05:13 PM »
So just looking at the different option on the knight website I am seeing 3 different versions, are all of them legal? Bare 209 primer, full plastic jacket, and nitride 209?
Also wondering about the Remington Model 700 Ultimate Muzzleloader? I'm keeping my Bighorn set up for #11 So I'm wanting to shop around for the best bang for the buck and also an upgrade from the Bighorn. Pretty sure I'll be drawing a quality tag  :chuckle:  :chuckle:

When you mention Nitrate 209 - you are talking about the whole rifle correct?

I really want the Green/Black model myself...

I would suggest the bare 209 primer model - using W209 primers...

I shim my breech plug to get a primer crush and seal the breech from any blow back. My primers come out just like NEW - well almost

The Rem is a fine gun but I prefer the lighter ULite and the 209 primer system versus the LRMP system used in the Rem for ignition.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:11:11 PM by Sabotloader »

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
No, does not have to be exposed. I'm not sure there is a 209 ignition available that's exposed, so they pretty much had to remove that restriction if they were going to allow 209's. Now all the muzzleloaders at the Cabelas store are legal.

My TC black diamond has an exposed 209 conversion
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »
No, does not have to be exposed. I'm not sure there is a 209 ignition available that's exposed, so they pretty much had to remove that restriction if they were going to allow 209's. Now all the muzzleloaders at the Cabelas store are legal.

My TC black diamond has an exposed 209 conversion

Many of the older 209 ignitions were exposed... My old Remington 700ML was also exposed although I made a shield for it...

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
Nice!

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 11:53:33 AM »
Really disappointing to hear back from Traditions and learn that my rifle can't be converted to use 209s. This wasn't something I thought about when I bought it. Selling it doesn't seem like a winning option now either.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 12:15:51 PM »
Really disappointing to hear back from Traditions and learn that my rifle can't be converted to use 209s. This wasn't something I thought about when I bought it. Selling it doesn't seem like a winning option now either.

Maybe just keep it Incase you hunt a state that you have to use percussion caps and get a new one for here if you want to run 209’s. I can convert mine but will leave 1 of 3 setup with musket caps Incase I need it on another hunt that requires it.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »
What's the best 209 primer fired muzzy?

This is just my thought... I use the Winchester W209.  If you are going to make the switch to 209's & BH-209 powder the correct primer will depend on the breech plug installed in your rifle.

Since BH requires a much higher ignition temp, you will see that Western Powders suggests a 'mag' type primer.  But again it really depends on the BP in you rifle.

Both Western and CVA offer an aftermarket BH209 breech plug

If you have a Knight the existing 209 BP's and a W209 will work great!

So would you recommend the 209'mag' primers for those breech plugs designed for use with pellets (longer flash holes) and non-mag primers for those designed for BH209 or other loose powders where the breech plug is hollowed out to allow the primer to be closer to the powder charge?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 02:12:41 PM »
What's the best 209 primer fired muzzy?

This is just my thought... I use the Winchester W209.  If you are going to make the switch to 209's & BH-209 powder the correct primer will depend on the breech plug installed in your rifle.

Since BH requires a much higher ignition temp, you will see that Western Powders suggests a 'mag' type primer.  But again it really depends on the BP in you rifle.

Both Western and CVA offer an aftermarket BH209 breech plug

If you have a Knight the existing 209 BP's and a W209 will work great!

So would you recommend the 209'mag' primers for those breech plugs designed for use with pellets (longer flash holes) and non-mag primers for those designed for BH209 or other loose powders where the breech plug is hollowed out to allow the primer to be closer to the powder charge?

It is not as much about the length of the BP as it is about how the BP is built. The size diameter of the flash channel and the size of the flash hole are really important.

Look at the length of a Knight BP...

Even with these long plugs I can shoot BH with a W209 or even a Winchester T7 primer.  I think the real secret is the 5/32" flash channel and 0.031 flsh hole.

This is a really TC Triumph BP that I altered to shoot... Drilled the 1/8" flash channel out to 5/32" then drilled the end of the plug to accept a Lehigh Vent Liner.

You can see the vent liner is installed right on the nose of the BP.  It shoots BH fine with regular 209 primers.

These are CVA plugs that underwent the same modfications.... open the flash channel and Install a vent liner

Of course Western Powders will always tell you the closer the better - that is why they liked the TC Omega plug so much

These are really short plugs and they do help but even then modifying them makes them better suited for BH

This Omega has been drilled and then tapped to install a Vent liner

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:23:21 PM by Sabotloader »

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 03:20:34 PM »
I just put a CVA breech plug for Blackhorn 209 in nitride finish on order with Muzzle-loaders.com  to swap onto my CVA Accura V2 Nitride.

Looking forward to receiving it and getting some practice time in. Just need to get my hands on some BH 209 powder and primers at a local store....didn't want to pay that hazmat fee for online order.

I'll be sticking with the Barnes T-EZ 250 grain saboted bullet.  I'm assuming will work up to 100units BH209, and 209 primer.  Unless anybody that has this same setup has a different load suggestion? 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:57:23 PM by kselkhunter »

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 09:54:44 PM »
I just put a CVA breech plug for Blackhorn 209 in nitride finish on order with Muzzle-loaders.com  to swap onto my CVA Accura V2 Nitride.

Looking forward to receiving it and getting some practice time in. Just need to get my hands on some BH 209 powder and primers at a local store....didn't want to pay that hazmat fee for online order.

I'll be sticking with the Barnes T-EZ 250 grain saboted bullet.  I'm assuming will work up to 100units BH209, and 209 primer.  Unless anybody that has this same setup has a different load suggestion?

Maybe Im a little different.   I am currently re-working all my loads for two different rifles.  A Big Horn and a Traditions Pursuit....both in 209.   You might be suprised at the ballistics of a 290 compared to a 250.   The 290 will have slightly more impact Ft Lbs...but its sectional density is much more.  SD is what equates to penetration.....and penetration is what kills big/tough animals.  Deer are super easy to kill....hit them with just about anything and they will drop in 100yds.  Not the same for Elk, Moose, Bear...but just my opinion based on what I have seen.     Example...the 6.5 Creedmore guys showing all the antelope pics at 700yds....well duh...an antelope is smaller than a big dog...kill them with a large slingshot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]