collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Major wdfw overhaul  (Read 36700 times)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Major wdfw overhaul
« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2018, 08:55:26 AM »
Interesting Topic. A few thoughts from this peanut gallery.
20 years ago, I noticed a decline in blacktail deer, friends did too. Back then, one day while deer hunting, a friend ran into a "Cedar Cop", and hey discussed the lack of deer. The "Cop" said, "I know why you don't see deer, or deer sign. Cougars. I see them daily, while on the job, sometimes in twos and threes, cruising clear cuts, roads, etc."
As each years passes, the sign becomes less and less. Almost non-existent now. 
I agree, the restrictions, both on seasons and methods are unnecessary, but, they are a fact. Why? There used to be a bounty on cougars. An old hunter told me that he hunted them in the Cavanaugh area, back in those days. Cut off the ears and turned them in for the bounty money. A long time ago.
Another fact is that habitat is often used by WDFW, as an excuse for gross mismanagement. It is also a money maker for WDFW, in the form of grants.
Regarding Meetings, Hunter Protests, etc.; Some years ago, Duck Hunters on Duckhunter.net/Washington Forum, attempted to rally at Olympia. To no avail. Does WDFW listen to sport fishermen? Ha, Ha, Ha....! Nothing that WDFW has done regarding Salmon/Steelhead has worked. Nothing. But, Bern Schenks, former WDFW Director, was fired for daring to say "Over Fishing"! This was in the 80's. They used a budget shortfall as an excuse to get rid of him. And now, the new idea of ramping up salmon hatchery production? As a friend said; "Its for the benefit of the tribes, not sportsman."  Probably for the Orca's too.
Public Meetings by WDFW are nothing more than a legal formality, something they have to do, as part of their process. That is why, the many times I attended past meetings, it always seemed that the decision was already made, the meeting was just going through the motions. I'm not alone in feeling that way.
Regarding bringing back hound seasons for bear and cougar; Seriously, with the loss of access, gated roads, decommissioned roads, etc., do you really think hound hunting matters anymore? You can't get anywhere anymore. How do you expect to run hounds?
Regarding the decommissioning of roads; most of it is a senseless waste of monies. A gate, and 4 "water bars" within the first 100- 200 yards are likely sufficient. But, no, the state destroys the road for its full extent, making them discouraging at best, and impassable at worst. Many, you can not hardly walk. Stupid, and more access lost to the public. By the way, back years ago, when this road destruction started, they called them "water bars" to prevent erosion/protect habitat. It was also done, once tribal hunting was allowed, to keep access to a minimum, to protect game. And on the story goes.
The reality is that the State/WDFW plans years in advance. By the time we are told or find out, the die is cast, and we can only react. Its also very likely, and wouldn't be surprising, that the State/WDFW, are directed by the Fed's/UN/Agenda 21, to implement much that you see happening. You might find the topic of Agenda 21 interesting.
The use of predators to control game, and eliminate hunting, may not be the only possibility. Maybe people control is another facet?
By the way, Wolves; The plan to bring wolves back dates to the 40's. Aldo Leupold was involved on this plan, back in those days. Wolves may also be why you can't hunt coyotes within the Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie Forest during a portion of the year. If so, this would date the existence of wolves in that area, back to the 80's, when that restriction was enacted.
Anyway, just some rambling thoughts from an old guy. Thanks

Bern was director during the 90's....just a clarification. :tup:

He was also the best director outside of Carl Crouse I worked for.  Bern quietly shook up the establishment by changing the mindset.  Regional managers and others at headquarters had it out for him.  Commission used a slight overexpenditure to can him, while the Commission's overexpenditures, if I recall right were far worst.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]