collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: mule deer GMU 186  (Read 4030 times)

Offline Huntinandfishinfool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
mule deer GMU 186
« on: March 22, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
I moved to Washington a few years ago and this will be my first year mule deer hunting the state. I've done a bunch of research and would be interested in talking with anyone that has hunted GMU 186. It's definitely a pack-in area and close to a 1,000 feet of elevation gain in a short distance. I've been focusing on the east end off the unit and trying to find out if there's any water sources once I've packed in. Using Onxmap and Google Earth I'm not seeing any signs of creeks, ponds or lakes.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
Re: mule deer GMU 186
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:25:17 AM »
Thats a hell of a drive from SW Wa.  There are some seasonal creeks, but in the fall they would be few and far between.  Vertical country. Most of the big deer are all on private property on 181.  Some of those draws you would be better off eat the deer vs trying to get it out, horses or not.  I have taken 3 out of 181 and done some chuakar hunting there, but that is when I was younger, not a mid aged game for a beer drinker

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:41:57 AM »
Very little water in the form of lakes, etc in any of those SE WA units. Some small creeks and stuff here and there but not a lot of significant water at all.

I've never hunted that specific unit but I've hunted others down there.  Deer densities will likely be low also.

If you want to make contact with anyone specifically, I might suggest searching the elk forum for that unit. It's a more popular elk area than a deer area.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
Very little water in the form of lakes, etc in any of those SE WA units. Some small creeks and stuff here and there but not a lot of significant water at all.

I've never hunted that specific unit but I've hunted others down there.  Deer densities will likely be low also.

If you want to make contact with anyone specifically, I might suggest searching the elk forum for that unit. It's a more popular elk area than a deer area.

I'll check in with the Elk Forum as well, thanks for the suggestion.

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 06:19:46 PM »
Thats a hell of a drive from SW Wa.  There are some seasonal creeks, but in the fall they would be few and far between.  Vertical country. Most of the big deer are all on private property on 181.  Some of those draws you would be better off eat the deer vs trying to get it out, horses or not.  I have taken 3 out of 181 and done some chuakar hunting there, but that is when I was younger, not a mid aged game for a beer drinker

It is a drive from Vancouver but that's ok.  Hoping the long drive and steep country will keep the average hunter away. Being a newer Washington resident I'm learning that finding large parcels of public land that isn't overrun with a bunch of people is almost impossible. So I'm looking at some units that would scare most people away.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
You know what they say. Get a mile from the road and you’ll leave most other folks behind.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 06:54:55 PM »
Lots of public land, beautiful country, low hunter numbers. If you're willing to work at it you will have some great hunting experiences.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline bigbullshedhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:32:16 AM »
186 Getz hammered. It's surrounded by about 20 different private landowners. There's is hardly any public land in the unit and gettimg permission for deer hunting just isn't nna happen. Tight knitt group up there. They use to grow a few giants each year but now there whole family's are hunting the prop.  Cousins, nephews, brothers, sister, ma, pa, cousins friend, nephews friend. It's the only season they have to hunt.   

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 11:33:44 AM »
186 Getz hammered. It's surrounded by about 20 different private landowners. There's is hardly any public land in the unit and gettimg permission for deer hunting just isn't nna happen. Tight knitt group up there. They use to grow a few giants each year but now there whole family's are hunting the prop.  Cousins, nephews, brothers, sister, ma, pa, cousins friend, nephews friend. It's the only season they have to hunt.

Thanks for the insight. Awesome set of antlers inn your profile pic

Offline tikkahunter

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 12:12:47 PM »
I don’t know why everyone is saying 186 is mostly private?? According to onxmaps 186 is like 3/4rds public land.  Big chunks of dnr, wildlife area and blm.  Looks extremely steep thou
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:19:09 PM by tikkahunter »

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »
According to the hunt reports at wdfw, 4 guys archery hunted for deer with 2 of them getting does. Not much pressure there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]