collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Poll - skinny public land access  (Read 6845 times)

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Poll - skinny public land access
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 07:35:58 PM »
I disagree with the people saying that the GPS will be accurate enough to be certain that you're not trespassing. The GPS chips in cell phones can't be trusted to be more accurate that 50 to 100 feet.

That said, personally I would just go with the phone if there were no signs posted or other indications that the landowner is sensitive. However, if you get there and it's posted, you'll need to go to with a more reliable system. The best thing would be some other landmark to confirm the GPS on your phone. I'm going to be really certain of things before I ignore no trespassing signs.

Offline dvolmer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
Its either public or private!  If it is wider than the width of your shoe you are good to go!  Yes a GPS has room for error but so do property lines.  especially large farming parcels.  If it shows it on the GPS its good to go and they can try to prove otherwise.  There isn't a Sheriff or a Warden that will give you trouble if you can show him or her your GPS and where you are standing.  Absolutely no brainer as far as I am concerned!  But don't talk to my wife!  she will concur on the lack of brain matter in my case!!!
Zonk Volmer

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 09:51:41 PM »
Its either public or private!  If it is wider than the width of your shoe you are good to go!  Yes a GPS has room for error but so do property lines.  especially large farming parcels.  If it shows it on the GPS its good to go and they can try to prove otherwise.  There isn't a Sheriff or a Warden that will give you trouble if you can show him or her your GPS and where you are standing.  Absolutely no brainer as far as I am concerned!  But don't talk to my wife!  she will concur on the lack of brain matter in my case!!!
I think that's all of our wives when they start hearing about us going out to chase elk and bears lol!

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
I disagree with the people saying that the GPS will be accurate enough to be certain that you're not trespassing. The GPS chips in cell phones can't be trusted to be more accurate that 50 to 100 feet.

That said, personally I would just go with the phone if there were no signs posted or other indications that the landowner is sensitive. However, if you get there and it's posted, you'll need to go to with a more reliable system. The best thing would be some other landmark to confirm the GPS on your phone. I'm going to be really certain of things before I ignore no trespassing signs.

Not disagreeing with you -- you should definitely be sure.  But I'd trust my GPS and onX over a stingy land manager's placement of no trespassing signs.  Track your path on a GPS and you've typically got the law on your side. 

Common sense applies, of course.  Don't go walking through someone's garden because your phone says you can.  But out in nature? 

Online outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
id like to add to this question. I found a piece of land that comes to a four corners of fence and the two public parcels are diagnol to eachother. Am I legal to hop the shared center fence post of the four corners

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
I believe it is not legal in most western states to corner cross, but hard to look up.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
id like to add to this question. I found a piece of land that comes to a four corners of fence and the two public parcels are diagnol to eachother. Am I legal to hop the shared center fence post of the four corners
It's a hotly contested and legally vague issue in many Western states.
http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/HTML/articles/2014/Accessingpubliclands.htm#.Wr1fEWbfNaQ
http://flatheadbeacon.com/2016/01/27/jumping-the-corners/
https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/open-country/cornered-western-sportsmen-trapped-arcane-regulation-prohibiting-public-access
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU