collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Oops, Wenaha.  (Read 1908 times)

Offline LittleKiller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Oops, Wenaha.
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:05:41 PM »
Well, my father (willapawapiti) and I put in for spring bear every year. Every year we confidently check the results for the simple, but exciting word, ‘selected.’ Every year, for the last six years, there’s that bugger of a three letter word in front of it... NOT selected. UNTIL THIS YEAR!

I always put in for the Dayton unit. This year while selecting I decided to throw in Wenaha as my #2 pick. After my dad’s bull tag and several family hunting trips to the area, it just felt like picking an old friend. That is, until I got drawn. It was only at this time did I remember how steep and bitter cold it can be. Funny how that works. Had to break the news to my dad that in a last minute move of brilliance (or...?) I made a second pick and we won’t be stomping around Dayton. He took the news in stride, and I’m making sure my body is on the same page as my brain: ready to hike! We are conducting our due diligence as far as learning the accessibility this time of year, and bear behavior for the coming months.

I’m so eager, as I’ve been dreaming for years of a nice big bear hide and a year’s supply of bear breakfast sausage. Let’s be honest, it’s the adventure and the story that get me most excited. I’m ready for the challenge, and looking forward to having my best hunting buddy, my father, along for the adventure we have waited 7 years for!

I wish the rest of the permit holders luck, and hope to update you with photos in the coming month(s)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The struggle of man against man produces jealousy, deceit, frustration, bitterness, hate. The struggle of man against mountains is different. Man then bows before Something that is bigger than he. When he does that, he finds serenity and humility and dignity, too." - William O Douglas

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
Re: Oops, Wenaha.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 10:19:30 PM »
Pretty great mistake in my book.  Hope you both have a great hunt.

Offline LittleKiller

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:42:08 PM »
Pretty great mistake in my book.  Hope you both have a great hunt.

Unexpected, but never a mistake, I have so many memories there! I’m still laughing, though. Thank you!

"The struggle of man against man produces jealousy, deceit, frustration, bitterness, hate. The struggle of man against mountains is different. Man then bows before Something that is bigger than he. When he does that, he finds serenity and humility and dignity, too." - William O Douglas

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 10:46:03 PM »
Good luck! Maybe See u over there. Buddy and I drew going in May.  Have pounded it quite a few times.   

Offline clearwater

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 11:05:10 PM »
Should be some fun times for you guys. Wish our trips over lined up a little better.

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 11:09:12 PM »
Congrats on drawing a great tag! With a little work, you will have no problem filling your tag :tup:
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10