collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 50 BMG FOR DEER!  (Read 9553 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: 50 BMG FOR DEER!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
The guy is full of BS, he won't show you the other side of the does head.  It's not going to vacuum it's eye's out and kill it instantly.

I don't know the math on this, but I would suspect that a shockwave strong enough to suck out a deer's eyeball would be enough to break the poor thing's brain. I also doubt that if the bullet did go into the deer's head, there would be much left of it.

There's no shock wave, he could literally shave the hair off the deer's skull and it wouldn't do anything much less suck the eye balls out  :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 04:30:01 PM »
I shot a whitetail doe between the eyes once with my 300 win mag.  There was a lot more damage than the deer he shot (or didn't shoot?).  The eyeballs both popped out and the brain was liquified into white goo that ran out.  It was a mess.

You got a solid penetrating hit then,  the guy in the video was off to one side and just tagged the skull knocking off a chunk on the side that he won't show you in the video. 

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2018, 04:31:58 PM »
I shot a whitetail doe between the eyes once with my 300 win mag.  There was a lot more damage than the deer he shot (or didn't shoot?).  The eyeballs both popped out and the brain was liquified into white goo that ran out.  It was a mess.

You got a solid penetrating hit then,  the guy in the video was off to one side and just tagged the skull knocking off a chunk on the side that he won't show you in the video.

Was definitely a solid hit.  She was looking right at me and I hit her directly between the eyes.

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
It grosses me out a little on a purely aesthetic level. But fine, whatever he wants to do. I don't see it as inhumane or an unfair advantage over other hunters. In general, we should avoid legislating aesthetics.

If people are hunting with that powerful a weapon though I hope they'll go the extra mile to avoid meat damage and bullets travelling past the target.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2018, 05:04:52 PM »
Less meat wastage than an animal that is lost due to insufficient caliber/energy/placement.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »

Was definitely a solid hit.  She was looking right at me and I hit her directly between the eyes.

I also have head shot a spike right between the eyes with a 243,when brain goo comes out there ears,and eye balls pop ,you know you got a good hit ,I do have a pic , but between the nasty,and internet police I will never post it here.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Online Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »

I also have head shot a spike right between the eyes with a 243,when brain goo comes out there ears,and eye balls pop ,you know you got a good hit ,I do have a pic , but between the nasty,and internet police I will never post it here.

I think you just did. 
 :dunno:  :chuckle:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
skip to 3:00 mark

The guy is full of BS, he won't show you the other side of the does head.  It's not going to vacuum it's eye's out and kill it instantly.

Left eye entrance, right eye exit.  I think you're right... he's a BS expert.  Probably sells a lot more clicks that way.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 02:59:15 PM »

It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline wags

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 09:43:32 PM »
I don't have a problem with using the 50BMG for deer, but I wouldn't call shooting deer from a shooting bench at the range "hunting".

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 11:33:07 AM »
 :yeah:  He's not "hunting" and its not "sport" what he is doing, ITS harvesting and culling out his private herd with a BIG gun.   No different then when the meat cutter comes out to the ranch and plugs a 2000 lb cow between the eyes with a 22lr.

I would have been more "impressed" had he set up at least 1000yds for the culling out!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline paultanninen

• blacktailhunter2018
  • Tracker
  • hunting is my middle name
  • Groups: paultanninen
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 07:45:32 AM »
The .50 BMG is not a bad cartridge. But, my opinion is, don't use it. I personally want meat. Because of that, people tell me to head shoot animals. I won't. Others tell me to try long range for the fun of it. I won't shoot an animal over 200 yards. Keep the .50 cal on the shooting ranges and in US military arsenals.
You know your hunt went well when you had a shot that was unethical and you never took it, even if you never got your bull.

Elk: I live it, hunt it, and eat it

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 03:06:14 PM »
The .50 BMG is not a bad cartridge. But, my opinion is, don't use it. I personally want meat. Because of that, people tell me to head shoot animals. I won't. Others tell me to try long range for the fun of it. I won't shoot an animal over 200 yards. Keep the .50 cal on the shooting ranges and in US military arsenals.
Why? If I had a .50 BMG and a bunch of deer to cull I would be right at it too. Mind you I would be the guy sitting 500-1,000 yards away from the animals at that point. You do realize with todays hunting cartridges and modern bullets you can carry a ton of energy WAY past 200 yards right? Some people don't have the skills or want to put in the time to shoot beyond 200 yards but some of us do and my custom 300 win mag pushing a 208 hornady eld still has 1700+ ft lbs of energy at 1,000 yards. That's more than enough to kill an elk or bear. I'm not saying everybody and their uncle should go get a .50 BMG and go hunting. I am saying that you should open your mind up more to new ways of doing things though.

Offline paultanninen

• blacktailhunter2018
  • Tracker
  • hunting is my middle name
  • Groups: paultanninen
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 08:47:18 AM »
makes sense, but it is just how I think. I think that getting close up is half the fun of the hunt. i did have a chance at a doe that was 400 yards away, but i refused the shot
You know your hunt went well when you had a shot that was unethical and you never took it, even if you never got your bull.

Elk: I live it, hunt it, and eat it

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 02:27:07 PM »
makes sense, but it is just how I think. I think that getting close up is half the fun of the hunt. i did have a chance at a doe that was 400 yards away, but i refused the shot
Ohh I agree. I hunt archery mainly but for bear I hunt with a rifle. For a lot of years my father and I believed we needed to be 300 yards or closer, which was good because we didn't practice shooting further than that. Now I can comfortably put hits on steel at 600-1,000 yards. Took a lot of time and work but that's how some people are. Would I take a shot at a bear I saw at 1,000 yards. If there was absolutely no chance of getting closer, yes. If I know I can get closer and have a good shot opportunity I will always take that choice first. I will not knock people for taking shots at long ranges or with HUGE calibers if that is what they want to do. Everybody has their own style and methods. We all need to support each other, sportsmen and women, in these times even if we don't always agree with how someone does things. I am one of those guys that doesn't believe in baiting deer and elk and in the past, younger and dumb, I would comment about people who bait. Now... I don't care. If that's what you like. Then do it. What makes me happy might not work for someone else but as long as they are getting outside and enjoying life, that's what matters.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]