collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gas trimmers  (Read 6856 times)

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Gas trimmers
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 10:11:12 AM »
Think hybrid hedge trimmer on an extension and used similar to a string trimmer. You can clear a lot of brush quick!  Makes short work of black berries and any brush 3/4” or less.

I want one just because ......
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Electrics are fine if you have tiny city lots but if you have any acreage forget about it.  I do own one Husqvarna backpack leaf blower and it will run great as long as it is cold outside.  If it is over 70 degrees it overheats and shuts down after a half hour or so.  It's been that way from the day I bought it.  Not a big fan.

I agree that electric is a good way to go for city lots. I am a county resident...and trim around trees, the house, corral, etc...I just got tired of the whole gas thing, electric is pretty convenient for me. And..the kids like running the thing too!! :chuckle:
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »
Mossy - Sounds like you just need a carb adjustment or check your gas mix. 

Polarbear - I haven't had that problem with a shutdown.  That is interesting.

I have a husky backpack blower, chainsaw, and demolition saw.  The demo saw beats anything in its class for reliability.  Blower and chainsaw are as good as other brands.  I have been extremely happy with all pieces of equipment.  With the chain saw I would be just as happy with a Stihl.  With the blower, Stihl, Echo, and I am sure a few others would be fine as well.

If you are on a hillside and doing a lot of heavy work I would not go less than a 4-stroke and I would recommend a curved shaft on your string trimmer.  Get yourself a little weedeater featherlight straight shaft for edging.  The cordless offerings look good as well, and I will be getting a dewalt eventually since I have a ton of batteries for it.   
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 03:50:52 PM »

Electrics are fine if you have tiny city lots but if you have any acreage forget about it. 

My cordless ryobi does fine for trimming the edges and paths on my 3/4 of an acre. It even does the brush line a couple of times a year when the woods try to take over the yard. If you're cutting acres of brush then you don't need a weed whacker, you need a brush hog.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 12:25:25 AM »

Electrics are fine if you have tiny city lots but if you have any acreage forget about it. 

My cordless ryobi does fine for trimming the edges and paths on my 3/4 of an acre. It even does the brush line a couple of times a year when the woods try to take over the yard. If you're cutting acres of brush then you don't need a weed whacker, you need a brush hog.
I have a 5' brush hog as well.  For me to use an electric I would need 3/4 mile of extension cord.   :chuckle:  It usually takes me at least 2 hours per week just in trimming and 6 hours if it has gotten out of control.  I also keep my fence lines and roadside cut down and that is 1,200 feet plus 1,000 of driveway and another 300' for my parents driveway next door.  I have had weekends were I an running a weedeater from daylight until dark.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:30:55 AM by PolarBear »

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 07:08:00 AM »

I have a husky backpack blower, chainsaw, and demolition saw.  The demo saw beats anything in its class for reliability.  Blower and chainsaw are as good as other brands.  I have been extremely happy with all pieces of equipment.  With the chain saw I would be just as happy with a Stihl.  With the blower, Stihl, Echo, and I am sure a few others would be fine as well.

If you are on a hillside and doing a lot of heavy work I would not go less than a 4-stroke and I would recommend a curved shaft on your string trimmer.  Get yourself a little weedeater featherlight straight shaft for edging.  The cordless offerings look good as well, and I will be getting a dewalt eventually since I have a ton of batteries for it.

Thanks for the info. I've had my mower in a few times last year and the mechanic blamed bad gas but it kept doing it each time I brought it home.
I brought the blower into the dealer right after it happened and after I bought it and they wanted just as much money to look at it as what I paid for it. So maybe my issue with Husqvarna is my hate toward my local dealer :dunno:  absolutely no service after the sale.

As of right now I'm leaning toward the Honda

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 07:14:07 AM »

I have a 5' brush hog as well.  For me to use an electric I would need 3/4 mile of extension cord.   :chuckle:  It usually takes me at least 2 hours per week just in trimming and 6 hours if it has gotten out of control.  I also keep my fence lines and roadside cut down and that is 1,200 feet plus 1,000 of driveway and another 300' for my parents driveway next door.  I have had weekends were I an running a weedeater from daylight until dark.
  I'll spend a couple hundred dollars on Roundup before I spend a weekend behind a weed wacker!  :chuckle: i normally spray twice a year around all my pasture fences, driveway and yard.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 07:33:45 AM »
I Round-Up as well but I don't like the look of a dead strip along my fences plus I don't want my cattle eating Round-Up.  After all, weed eating with a heavy commercial grade machine good exercise.  :chuckle:

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 04:50:51 PM »
Echo all the way! I’ve hammered mine for years and it still runs like a new one
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2018, 05:03:06 AM »

Thanks for the info. I've had my mower in a few times last year and the mechanic blamed bad gas but it kept doing it each time I brought it home.
I brought the blower into the dealer right after it happened and after I bought it and they wanted just as much money to look at it as what I paid for it. So maybe my issue with Husqvarna is my hate toward my local dealer :dunno:  absolutely no service after the sale.

As of right now I'm leaning toward the Honda

Mossy - What I was noticing is that the mixed gas was settling in the can.  So I was getting too lean or too rich of a mix depending on how full it was, and how long it had been sitting.  I now make sure to shake it up prior to filling my tanks and I started to get consistency from tank to tank in my equipment.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2018, 09:39:55 PM »
Andreas Stihl Maschinenfabrik all the way!!!  :tup:

Offline Buzz2401

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
Stihl  my last one lasted 14 years.  replaced with a cheaper brand and regret it.

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »
Ended up with a Stihl; so far so good  :tup:

Offline Mark Brenckle

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2018, 07:55:05 PM »
Think hybrid hedge trimmer on an extension and used similar to a string trimmer. You can clear a lot of brush quick!  Makes short work of black berries and any brush 3/4” or less.
  Thanks for the info on this, cleared most of my fences yesterday in about 5 hours, would've taken me a month with a machete!

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2018, 08:12:25 PM »
Ended up with a Stihl; so far so good  :tup:

Well I'm sure you'll be happy. I recommend ethanol free gas, and Stihl brand 2 cycle oil. Been running both in my Echo for years with no problems.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal