collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wy Grizzy hunting  (Read 7556 times)

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: Wy Grizzy hunting
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
Is there any other rules on this hunt? Like you have to use a guide if you're non res.?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 08:05:21 PM »
I think a non res tag in Alaska for grizzly is only 1k.I realize you have to hire a guide but 6k does seem high.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 08:11:14 PM »
Not that many at $6 grand, pay up front.
Didn’t even think of that! That may kick me out.
I could scrimp and come up with it if I had to but not sure I could up front.  :chuckle:

EDIT. after reading it doesn’t look like the pay up front will apply to this like regular draw. Just $15 app fee. It says that residents get the first 75% of the tags before nonres are allowed to draw. Looks more like a list hunt with 2 active tags at a time until the quota is met or 2 sows are killed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:21:09 PM by BULLBLASTER »

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »
When you’re contacted you will have 10 days to buy your tag in person or else it goes to the next person.

Will be a very short notice hunt also. No ability to plan timing or vacation since tags are issued as the previous are filled.

This all just from the proposed rules

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 09:05:14 PM »
I think the number of applicants will be huge. As said 6 grand is a ton of money for a tag but actually (sad to say) cheap compared to the other options like Alaska where you have to use a guide. I also bet a lot of people who draw from out of state will hire a guide and pay full cost anyways which I don’t understand as it takes away the benefits of drawing the tag. I was trying to guess a number but have no idea? 20,000 ? All I can think of is huge!  :chuckle:

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »
Lord grizzly, tell us how you really feel about non res hunters! 😆

let me tell you about my dream of a border wall. and i'm not talking about Mexico's border either...

That's awesome.  :chuckle:
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
I could scrimp and come up with it if I had to but not sure I could up front.  :chuckle:

EDIT. after reading it doesn’t look like the pay up front will apply to this like regular draw. Just $15 app fee. It says that residents get the first 75% of the tags before nonres are allowed to draw. Looks more like a list hunt with 2 active tags at a time until the quota is met or 2 sows are killed.

I didn’t read this before my other post. This makes things a lot different for me not sure I would pay 6000 and then have the quota filled early. They had what I remember as unlimited draw tags in northwest Montana when I was there in the early 80s and sometimes the hunt barely opened because they counted bears killed by trains etc in the quota. Also didn’t think about the non res guide requirements as a possibility. If they require a guide I will not put in and I think that would decrease the apps quite a bit

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »
At that rate... you can save up for a couple years and just go to Alaska. Was just looking online and there are quite a few good looking outfitters, one in denali with really good reviews, that offer spring grizzly/brown bear hunts for $10,000 with a $2,000-$2,500 trophy fee. If its $1,000 for a tag then you are looking at $13,000-$13,500 not including getting up there but that's not bad for a true giant Alaskan grizzly. Imo, and this is just my opinion, I will save up my money and put it toward the Alaskan hunt with a guide.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 08:13:41 AM »

I didn’t read this before my other post. This makes things a lot different for me not sure I would pay 6000 and then have the quota filled early. They had what I remember as unlimited draw tags in northwest Montana when I was there in the early 80s and sometimes the hunt barely opened because they counted bears killed by trains etc in the quota. Also didn’t think about the non res guide requirements as a possibility. If they require a guide I will not put in and I think that would decrease the apps quite a bit
You would only have to pay for the tag if your name is up and there is still quota or season left. It’s $15 until that point

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 08:36:52 AM »

You would only have to pay for the tag if your name is up and there is still quota or season left. It’s $15 until that point

:tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »
I think a non res tag in Alaska for grizzly is only 1k.I realize you have to hire a guide but 6k does seem high.  :twocents:

I was reading about this hunt somewhere yesterday. The AK grizzly hunt was brought up and it was said that an "average" guided grizzly hunt runs around $20k. I can't verify that, but that's what I read.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2018, 09:38:35 AM »
I haven’t seen anything in Wyoming’s proposal stating that a guide is required for nonresidents for grizzly bears. Just the requirement for guides in wilderness would apply I imagine

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2018, 09:55:09 AM »
So you draw, buy the tag on a Thursday and head towards Wyoming. They fill the quota Friday - are you out 6k?

Or is it only 2 active hunters at a time, then they call you once it's your turn?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2018, 09:59:27 AM »
Man I must be poor’er than I think, none of this sounds cheap to me.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
So you draw, buy the tag on a Thursday and head towards Wyoming. They fill the quota Friday - are you out 6k?

Or is it only 2 active hunters at a time, then they call you once it's your turn?
You can’t get a tag unless the quota isn’t met. As the proposals are written there is no chance of yu getting a tag and not being allowed to hunt
2 active tags at a time. Once they tag out if there is still quota then they will move down the list one at a time

This for hunt areas 1-6 (only ones nonres can apply for) if I read right

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal