collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wy Grizzy hunting  (Read 7557 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Wy Grizzy hunting
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2018, 10:45:05 AM »
First 75% of tags will go to residents. 10 male limit and 2 female limit for 2017. Very small odds of a nonres actually being able to hunt it seems but I’ll still be putting my name in

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2018, 11:19:16 AM »
So you draw, buy the tag on a Thursday and head towards Wyoming. They fill the quota Friday - are you out 6k?

Or is it only 2 active hunters at a time, then they call you once it's your turn?
You can’t get a tag unless the quota isn’t met. As the proposals are written there is no chance of yu getting a tag and not being allowed to hunt
2 active tags at a time. Once they tag out if there is still quota then they will move down the list one at a time

This for hunt areas 1-6 (only ones nonres can apply for) if I read right

Makes sense.  I think.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »
I wonder how much press these hunts will get, I remember how big of a deal the bison hunts were when they first started.  With drones and small cameras, there could be quite a circus although bears are much more spread out and the hunts won't be nearly as easy to figure out where they are happening.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
Lots the tree huggers will try to apply to the public for sympathy
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 12:33:59 PM »
I think a non res tag in Alaska for grizzly is only 1k.I realize you have to hire a guide but 6k does seem high.  :twocents:

I was reading about this hunt somewhere yesterday. The AK grizzly hunt was brought up and it was said that an "average" guided grizzly hunt runs around $20k. I can't verify that, but that's what I read.
I agree.  :tup: Thats what i was thinking around 20k maybe a little less but not much when all is said and done.Reason for the cost is no different in my OP. than anything else that is required.When rules like non res need to be guided the price can will and does skyrocket.  :twocents:These grizzly hunts in WY. will fetch a premium whether they have to have a guide or not.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »
I think a non res tag in Alaska for grizzly is only 1k.I realize you have to hire a guide but 6k does seem high.  :twocents:

I was reading about this hunt somewhere yesterday. The AK grizzly hunt was brought up and it was said that an "average" guided grizzly hunt runs around $20k. I can't verify that, but that's what I read.
I agree.  :tup: Thats what i was thinking around 20k maybe a little less but not much when all is said and done.Reason for the cost is no different in my OP. than anything else that is required.When rules like non res need to be guided the price can will and does skyrocket.  :twocents:These grizzly hunts in WY. will fetch a premium whether they have to have a guide or not.
Quite a few Alasakan grizzly hunts are 20-25k but you can find good ones for 10-15k range also. Not that the price is cheap... but I feel like saving up for a grizzly hunt in Alaska would be easier than this wait and see if drawn and then wait and see if quota was filled or not plus having to rush over to get your license and hunt without any real time to set things up 100%.

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2018, 03:42:38 PM »
At that rate... you can save up for a couple years and just go to Alaska. Was just looking online and there are quite a few good looking outfitters, one in denali with really good reviews, that offer spring grizzly/brown bear hunts for $10,000 with a $2,000-$2,500 trophy fee. If its $1,000 for a tag then you are looking at $13,000-$13,500 not including getting up there but that's not bad for a true giant Alaskan grizzly. Imo, and this is just my opinion, I will save up my money and put it toward the Alaskan hunt with a guide.
One out  :IBCOOL:

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »
At that rate... you can save up for a couple years and just go to Alaska. Was just looking online and there are quite a few good looking outfitters, one in denali with really good reviews, that offer spring grizzly/brown bear hunts for $10,000 with a $2,000-$2,500 trophy fee. If its $1,000 for a tag then you are looking at $13,000-$13,500 not including getting up there but that's not bad for a true giant Alaskan grizzly. Imo, and this is just my opinion, I will save up my money and put it toward the Alaskan hunt with a guide.
Until they drop the price lol! My 300 wby mag needs to eat! I feel like grizzly would be its favorite meal!

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »
Walk up into the hills and fire a round off into the ground, bears will come running in looking for a gutpile. That’s how you kill a Cody area Grizz.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
I'm worried about the circus with this hunt and wish they had started a bit slower. I think just two tags the first year would be the right approach. Let people get used to hunting grizzlies little by little, and at levels where there's no question of damage to the population. Hopefully the hunters will be able to get away from people and keep the social media presence tasteful.

This will put hunting in the limelight worldwide with the type of hunt that attracts most criticism. I'd really like for us not to get Ceciled.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2018, 07:57:17 AM »
People need to get over the thought that some people will never be able to afford some hunts. Majority of the time that is self inflicted.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2018, 09:23:30 AM »
Agreed  :yeah:, I don't think that is the main in this thread though.The main is the good stuff like the opportunity is there now.Mostly going to be the residents but as a resident of WA. that's how i would want it here.  :tup: This is nothing but good for the sportsmen and women of WY. My hats off to them.The other main is that chances are much better,Bears are bigger,have more time to plan and hunt in Alaska plus like myself i'm sure that Alaskan hunts have always been on the bucket lists.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
Until they drop the price lol! My 300 wby mag needs to eat! I feel like grizzly would be its favorite meal!
Same here,i can wait.I wish the Montana opens Grizzly bear hunt soon and the license will cost less,i know a good area there with LOTS of Grizzlies.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
Same here,i can wait.I wish the Montana opens Grizzly bear hunt soon and the license will cost less,i know a good area there with LOTS of Grizzlies.
Well when they open it back up for Montana I will probably try and get in on it! The dream is still a big 9'+ Kodiak grizzly some day!

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2018, 11:03:13 AM »
i may never apply but  i commented good work on restoring  the population to the point there can be minimal  management hope the stand upto the anti   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal