collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: It’s time  (Read 1971 times)

Offline huntsman_trev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
It’s time
« on: March 29, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
Hey everyone! Long story short I’ve wanted to hunt ever since I could remember my family telling me the stories of their past hunts. They stopped hunting while I was old enough to and my dad didn’t have the confidence to take me... Even fishing. I’ve been waterfowling for 3 years now, just around farms near home. Upland bird hunting over east for two years with family friends. It’s time for me to get my first deer and learn the ways of putting a good amount of meat in the freezer. I have plans for muzzleloader season, but want to make the most of every year while I am young. I am turning 20 this April and am looking for any advice people have, hunting buddies, suggestions, anything. I have most if not all of the equipment needed from family. I want to live my life being an outdoorsman, not a lazy millennial who only knows how to cook Mac n cheese. I love cooking, grilling, hiking, shooting, killing. I’m planning on getting my first gundog this summer and am wanting to start this adventure so I can learn and teach others as I get older. Thanks for reading and take a kid out with ya whenever you can, it’s how memories are made!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: It’s time
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 03:54:35 PM »
Awesome, great attitude.

Just go and do it, hunt as many seasons for as many animals as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 04:41:09 PM »
Maybe put in for a multi season tag so you can maximize your time in the deer woods. Good luck
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:01:52 PM »
Welcome!  The board is pretty slow this time of year.  Most people are off in other pursuits so responses will be limited until August or so.  I suggest you first decide what type of deer you want to hunt, or the area you want to hunt. 

Most hunters here will tell you the best way to learn to hunt deer is to get out in the woods.  There is a lot of truth to that, but if you're hunting blacktail in the thick bush, then I'd recommend you do as much reading as you can prior to the season and/or in conjunction with your preseason scouting.  For Blacktail deer, a search for "blacktail" on Amazon books brings up the two top books you should read (authors:Boyd Iverson and Scott Haugen).  Used prices are easier to swallow.  You might also find one or both in your local library.

Now is a good time to get out in the woods on the westside, before new spring growth hides all the deer trails.  By the end of April, making sense of trails gets a lot more difficult.  Other than looking for live deer, you should be looking for deer sign such as fresh tracks and poop, freshly browsed vegetation, and antler rubs on alder and small fir trees. 

Use the search function to find thread topics on this forum related to the area you want to hunt or the deer you'd like to pursue.  You can also just read all the old threads from each season during the months of Oct - Dec.  There's a ton of information in there, though many of those posting members are no longer active.   You might want to consider posting a new thread in the "Where to go, Parners, Hunt-Swaps" section of this forum and ask if anyone would be interested in mentoring you or partnering up with you.   

Hope that helps.  Good luck young man!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »
Hey, Trev! Similar to you, I didn't have any family members that actively hunted when I was growing up. But luckily, my dad came around to the idea of his twelve-year-old daughter buying a gun (despite the fact it would be the first gun anyone in my family ever owned), and we've been deer hunting together every year since. Over these past few years, I've learned one of the most important things for deer hunting is an amazing pair of binoculars. I kind of ignored it when people told me to buy a good pair, but you'd be surprised how many more deer you'll see with a company like Vortex or Nikon. Also, remember to walk VERY slowly and be very patient. In the beginning of the day you'll be excited and want to walk as fast as you can, but that won't help you find more deer. And if the opportunity arises, tell other hunters that you're new to deer hunting. There are a lot of generous hunters out there that are willing to help, and they'll be happy to give you some of their best tips.

Have fun, and good luck this season!
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
Always good to hear of a self motivated young man getting passionate about hunting and the outdoors. With all the crap and crappy people in the world today, hunting and nature is still the place I can always find true joy.

Now to my advice. Find a buddy that shares your passion until you have kids of your own someday to share with. Adventures shared will be the greatest trophy you ever take no matter what you harvest. As said above, spend time in the woods throughout the year making observations and practicing with the best pair of binoculars you can afford. Any time in the woods is never a waste of time. Hunt the season that interests you and dont be afraid of trying different ones. I personally think rifle is the best season for blacktail. Also at 20 start looking into opportunities in other western states and what it takes with points/draws to make it happen. Some of the greatest experiences I've had were on out of state hunts with friends and family. Also be very careful in picking a woman thats on board with the addiction your about to expose yourself to. Good luck in your endeavor. :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]