collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho unit 26/27 cuts  (Read 31964 times)

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Idaho unit 26/27 cuts
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »
Uh yeah...you guys were getting legalistic so I was too. Look up the definition of native
Ok... let me change it... the "Indians" we have now were not the first people to inhabit this land! Does that work for you?
Yeah I’ll give ya that one

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2018, 06:39:31 PM »
Uh yeah...you guys were getting legalistic so I was too. Look up the definition of native
Ok... let me change it... the "Indians" we have now were not the first people to inhabit this land! Does that work for you?
Yeah I’ll give ya that one
Ohh and while we are off the actual subject a bit... Vikings found North America before Christopher Columbus! Columbus day can kiss my Scandinavian butt!

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »
This thread is like a train wreck, ugly but you just have to keep looking. If IDFG didn't want %25 of their license income they would have cut all Non resident hunting not just a few. This thread could use a lot less non res bashing and a little more solidarity amongst hunters!  :twocents:
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2018, 08:59:22 PM »
This thread is like a train wreck, ugly but you just have to keep looking. If IDFG didn't want %25 of their license income they would have cut all Non resident hunting not just a few. This thread could use a lot less non res bashing and a little more solidarity amongst hunters!  :twocents:
:yeah:
He's right you know.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
Rainbows, butterflies and love as usual.
Have fun bear hunting, I'll see you over there soon...with 3 other NRs...and WA plates...and $1363 worth of licenses and tags. :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »
Generally I agree with tag cuts to improve a herds health but I find a drastic cut targeted only at non residents a bit strange.  It not longer seems for herd health but simply retaliation.  I know currently license sales show it's mostly non residents but that could easily change.  If it really were a herd health issue they would of capped all late tags in the unit.
I understand as a non resident that I'm not on the same playing field as residents but this particular cut feels very much in line with Wyoming's wilderness law or the continued cuts to small non resident quotes in G and H in the name of saving the herd while allowing unlimited resident general hunting.  Call it what it is, a restriction on non residents for the sake of creating better resident opportunity.

There were a plethora of things that could have been done differently had this been a herd management issue; put 10 days between the unlimited season and General season to discourage people from harvesting TWO bucks in there (yes that would mean reducing season lengths)... not allow a general season AND unlimited draw tag to the same applicant so there aren’t groups of 10  blasting TWO BUCKS per person... NOT allow people to harvest any buck (rather than the point restriction... I think this cut the population off at the knees for a few seasons)... this wasn’t a herd issue in the truest form of an at-risk herd... this was managing people that couldn’t manage themselves. I don’t think the residents would have complained had there not been unethical and sad behavior. I took photos of FIVE bucks one year that were almost completely wasted: one only had the front shoulders taken!  :bash:  hunters who couldn’t manage their timeframes for pickup were abandoning  bags of meat in PLASTIC BAGS on the sides of trails along with spent gas containers and other items they discarded to get to the strip faster. Unethical people caused these changes, not deer numbers in my opinion. Take that for what it is since I only did it 7 years. 🤷🏻‍♀️
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:35:20 PM by hirshey »
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
well said Hirshey...and some great ideas too! I like the 10 day gap (also allows for the deer to settle down and breed without being pushed) and eliminate the two tags allowed for these units (though the herd can withstand it, it would cut down on usage somewhat). Also, another idea, split the tags like they do for elk, an A deer tag and a B deer tag, with a cap, make the hunter choose, no draw needed and vacations can be planned well in advance. Heck, even make the A tag for the first week of Nov and the B tag for the second week...eliminate the general season in Oct. That way there won't be a "little Seattle" that last week of the season on the airstrips...or even make the tag's for each airstrip...A tag is only good for sub-zone X which encompasses A,B,C, & D airstrips...I know there are certain airstrips that hardly get used and others that are overused. But cutting off non-residents like they did only hurts people like George, as we can find other places to hunt...like AK, MT, NV, WY, OR or even put that money into a drop camp here in WA.

I am wondering how badly this will hurt George and other locals...I am assuming you guys didn't get drawn? I am glad I didn't even apply this year (I drew some good WA permits) and am already making plans for next year to go back, but with a different mindset (elk...with a camera for deer if I don't get drawn). At least I will probably have more time to go fly-fishing in there!

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #187 on: July 12, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »
Good thing Idaho hasn’t followed Wyoming’s example yet and made it so nonresidents cant hunt in a wilderness without a guide or resident companion

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #188 on: July 12, 2018, 03:52:27 PM »
Sounds like something had to be done.  I’m sure Idaho doesn’t much care for NorCal on their western border, so I’m sure it was an easy decision. 

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #189 on: July 12, 2018, 04:36:10 PM »
well said Hirshey...and some great ideas too! I like the 10 day gap (also allows for the deer to settle down and breed without being pushed) and eliminate the two tags allowed for these units (though the herd can withstand it, it would cut down on usage somewhat). Also, another idea, split the tags like they do for elk, an A deer tag and a B deer tag, with a cap, make the hunter choose, no draw needed and vacations can be planned well in advance. Heck, even make the A tag for the first week of Nov and the B tag for the second week...eliminate the general season in Oct. That way there won't be a "little Seattle" that last week of the season on the airstrips...or even make the tag's for each airstrip...A tag is only good for sub-zone X which encompasses A,B,C, & D airstrips...I know there are certain airstrips that hardly get used and others that are overused. But cutting off non-residents like they did only hurts people like George, as we can find other places to hunt...like AK, MT, NV, WY, OR or even put that money into a drop camp here in WA.

I am wondering how badly this will hurt George and other locals...I am assuming you guys didn't get drawn? I am glad I didn't even apply this year (I drew some good WA permits) and am already making plans for next year to go back, but with a different mindset (elk...with a camera for deer if I don't get drawn). At least I will probably have more time to go fly-fishing in there!

Grade

I like all of those proposals; perhaps with public input, this will only be a temporary fix to the perceived problem. I think it would benefit everyone to push those ideas and make them heard. I worry about George,  Walt and his beautiful family, and all the other aviators if this change becomes more permanent. I don’t think it is the best solution, it was simply the “easy” button. Most of my friends that live in Idaho who tried that hunt the past few years said it isn’t worth it to them because they can spend less money and find equal the quality of animal in hike-in general seasons. It isn’t set up to benefit anyone, just reduce the unethical factor that crept into that hunt for some darned reason. I hope a more permanent solution can be found that maintains the integrity of the hunt and herd, and loses some of the garbage that was starting to become prevalent back there.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #190 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
We have a tag... but only for elk. Trying to decide if it’s worth it. 🤷🏻‍♀️ My area doesn’t have enough bulls that I’d feel good about harvesting more than one elk per hunting group.

Offline hntrspud

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA DU RMEF Washington for Wildlife SVEF
« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2018, 05:31:56 PM »
I have a deer tag, permit. I lived there for 22 years and now going with a resident. I really hope that there isn't these sort of circumstances like meat wastage and such when I get there. I feel pretty fortunate to be able to get this tag, and want it to be a great time! Harvest or not.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2018, 10:56:28 PM »
tagging
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #193 on: July 13, 2018, 08:40:25 PM »

Grade

I like all of those proposals; perhaps with public input, this will only be a temporary fix to the perceived problem. I think it would benefit everyone to push those ideas and make them heard. I worry about George,  Walt and his beautiful family, and all the other aviators if this change becomes more permanent. I don’t think it is the best solution, it was simply the “easy” button. Most of my friends that live in Idaho who tried that hunt the past few years said it isn’t worth it to them because they can spend less money and find equal the quality of animal in hike-in general seasons. It isn’t set up to benefit anyone, just reduce the unethical factor that crept into that hunt for some darned reason. I hope a more permanent solution can be found that maintains the integrity of the hunt and herd, and loses some of the garbage that was starting to become prevalent back there.
This change is permanent.  Not going to see NR tags come back to previous levels (or anything close) in your lifetime. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2018, 09:51:25 PM »
Nothing is permanent. Look at how regulations change over time. Public input and scientific management are and should be the main drivers to policy and regulations. ✌🏼 But thanks.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]